Gibb river road or kakadu national park

Submitted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 02:03
ThreadID: 22630 Views:2246 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I will go to darwin within 2 weeks but I don't know if I will go from darwin and do the gibb river road and tanami track to allice springs.
Or is it the best to go to kakadu national park.
There are a lot roads closed in the kimberly's. Wil this change in two weeks?
I travel with a 4x4 camper.

regards Johannes
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 02:09

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 02:09
depending on rainfull yes roads will open within 2 weeks prob with mitchell falls being accessable roads in kak will open later with twin falls being unavailable until the middle of the year ( my experience based on travel around this time of year 2003)
AnswerID: 109554

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 07:00

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 07:00
Johannes,
obviously access to the GRR will be determined by road closures at the time of your trip. However, the Kakadu region is a more tourist oriented destination, while the Kimberley remains more for the adventurer (despite El Questro and a couple of other ventures), with worse roads, fewer facilities, and more places to get lost. Both places are worth visiting.
A determined traveller can feed the salties at either site.
AnswerID: 109559

Reply By: Member - James B (VIC) - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 08:33

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 08:33
I am about to go to do the Gibb River Road myself....leaving tomorrow.

The majority of roads in the Kimberleys are indeed already open. Many websites, including the road conditions page on ExplorOz - are outdated. I am not sure where you got the impression that most roads are closed??

I have personally phoned many of the shires and national parks people, and the GRR is open all the way through, the road to the Mitchell Plateau is open, and the road into the Bungle Bungles is also open. Many websites still claim they are flooded - which is incorrect.

For the latest information, it always pays to call the relevant department - as websites may be outdated.

James
AnswerID: 109571

Reply By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 12:27

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 12:27
Johannes,
it depends what you want out of your trip.

Kakadu. Easy access, most of the road system is bitumen with some dirt roads to sites such as some of the falls or billabongs. When I lived in Darwin we did Kakadu in a long weekend, including fishing at a couple of billabongs and visits to some falls. A bit of a rush but you could take more time if you wanted to. But definately not hard.

GRR. Potential for tyre damage and bad roads but some amazing sights.

But at the end of the day everyone will have an opinion. You need to decide what you want from your trip and how much you are willing to spend on extra fuel, etc.

You could also consider Coburg Peninsular in Arnhem Land (5 hours drive east of Darwin via Kakadu) which has some awesome sights, fishing and some reasonably challenging drive but you won't end up with shredded tyres. You need to get a permit from the Northern Land Council. I'd combine that with Kakadu if it were me.

Wizard
Prado TD
Gold Coast
AnswerID: 109601

Follow Up By: Well 55 - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 14:39

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 14:39
Mate you must have flown into Coburg, 5 hrs east of Darwin it aint!
FollowupID: 366213

Reply By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 15:04

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 15:04
Well from memory we left Darwin about 7 am and got to Coburg mid afternoon. We still had time to wet a line after setting up camp before dark. So it may have been a little over 5 hours, or maybe it was 5 hours to the crossing? Anyway it was still closer than driving 1.5 days to get to Wyndam/GRR.

You need to remember there are no speed limits in NT, so maybe we were flying, metaphorically speaking of course. I know we could get from Larrakeyah to Shady Camp in 2 hours, towing a boat.
AnswerID: 109620

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 16:35

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 16:35
I'd go GRR instead of kakadu, but Linchfeild is said to be better.
AnswerID: 109640

Follow Up By: Glenn D - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 00:15

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 00:15
How's it going Rox.

Spent a week in southern " Kakadu " last year .

You get what you look for!!!

Not many people around..

Glenn..
FollowupID: 366313

Reply By: sean - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 22:09

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 22:09
Things are drying out quickly up north. Its been a dry year especially in the east kimberleys. I think most will open in the next couple of weeks except those that are closed for other reasons (crocodiles).

Sean
AnswerID: 110096

Sponsored Links