Hints for the ladies across the Simpson

Submitted: Monday, May 09, 2005 at 18:53
ThreadID: 22821 Views:3609 Replies:17 FollowUps:50
This Thread has been Archived
Now, because there are so many posts about the Simpson at the moment, I might as well join in. We head off the last week in September for 2 weeks and Geoff is so worried I am not going to cope. (Well I am worried too!). Has anyone got any tips for me to help lighten the load a bit. Now Geoff tells me I can't have my 2 showers a day and 3 changes of clothes a day. He tells me I can't take the hair dryer and all the rest of the goodies I like to take away. He tells me I wont be able to wash and vacume and polish the Patrol every day...............maybe he is right, maybe I wont cope with this. We arn't taking the camper trailer, so there for I have to leave the heater at home and the portable hot water service and the portable clothesline, and all my other goodies. I think this might be a bit of a shock to the system, and I think I might check out the air ports along the way, so if I dont handle this trip, at least I can fly home.................lol

Anyway, any tips?

Karen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 19:07

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 19:07
I just looked at your rig pic, and I see that you seem to have everything well & truly under control. I get the feeling that you have done lotsa miles in the bush!!!!

But, but....... if you REALLY need a tip...........disposable undies....... I am so never going to be able to be allowed to forget, am I!!!

Have a good one,

Wolfie
AnswerID: 110508

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 19:35

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 19:35
Thanks Wolfie, yeah we have done lots of miles in the bush, but I have always had my camper trailer there with me, and all my goodies at base camp, this will be different......no base camp, no trailer...............................oh boy, and not alot of water.
Well I will never go again or I will go back next time.
See how we go.
Karen
FollowupID: 367004

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 21:51

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 21:51
Wolfie, whats with the disposalable undies, or would you rather me go and ask one of the other popular members on here.............LOL
Karen

Now where did I put Brew's phone number again!
FollowupID: 367032

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 22:03

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 22:03
What started it was, I was reading a book put out by a current English explorer, who frequents the deserts of Nambia etc, for very long periods of time.

His work on this publication is excellent, it covers EVERYTHING....... including disposable paper underwear......

The book also details a lot of medical data as well, which is not normally covered in a standard first aid course, as these details are quite desert related.

It also goes on about the acclimatisation rates for people who are travelling, and why some people suffer more than others.

All in all, a top read. I'll have to find the URL again, and post it up here.

Another good read is also about some British people in the deserts of Africa, during the 2 nd. world war. They drove PINK Landrovers, because you couldn't see them, and used to keep upsetting the enemies plans on their nightly forays. The interesting part was how little they took as in food & water, to make room for ammo.

Cheers

Wolfie
FollowupID: 367039

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 19:08

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 19:08
Insect repellant
baby wipes
hot water bottle
and leave the neighbour at home

oh and lots of mouse traps...those suckers are everywhere
AnswerID: 110509

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 19:12

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 19:12
um..................thanks brew......................lol
FollowupID: 367001

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 19:35

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 19:35
By the way, mouse traps are packed all ready......................lol
FollowupID: 367005

Reply By: Nudenut - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 20:26

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 20:26
are you sure you want to give up all the above luxuries?

maybe a deal before you go.....simpson desert this time Paris next???

Oh and dont forget to pack the snake catcher.....
AnswerID: 110520

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 21:49

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 21:49
Snake catcher! What are they for? No one told me about the snakes out there.
Oh Gawd, this is getting worser !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 367031

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:48

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:48
Karen, some of the snakes up there are too fast for you to pick them up by the tail. They can bite really quick. I told you the book to read/
FollowupID: 367113

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 18:35

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 18:35
hehehe
just keep you swag done up real tight....
FollowupID: 367121

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 21:45

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 21:45
howdy folks
someone on my post said itwasnt a problem loading all abord as the nissan has elastic sides
yeah yeah we are in the same boat where to fit everything as we normally have the van

steve
AnswerID: 110539

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 21:47

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 21:47
So Steve, have you got any tips for me then?...................LOL
Karen
FollowupID: 367029

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:03

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:03
not yet we are going away for queens birthday as a bit of a trial run
just keep pushing it in

steve
FollowupID: 367106

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 14:38

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 14:38
Welcome to everyone of our trips!! :-)
Family of 4 (one being a 6month old). Pram (she's got to sit somewhere at camp, plus touring around walk trails etc), 2 x baby bags, baby clothes, clothes for the other three, sleeping gear, 44L fridge, cooking gear, tents, mattresses, pillows, sleeping gear, you know all the guff!!
All in our little surf with a storage box taking up 25% of the rear cargo space. (spares, tools, recovery gear and water tank in storage box).

Yeah, just keep pushing it in.... However I'm sure I bent part of the rear tailgate assembly somewhere along the line as there is more road noise than normal from the side where the fridge normally sits.... :-O
FollowupID: 367417

Reply By: ianmc - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 22:59

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 22:59
Not many problems really Karen, nothing that a few years of pyschotherapy & lots of $$ wont fix. Hey get real, just leave your worries & obsessions at home, travel light with a not too tight time schedule & keep giving Geoff a reassuring hug in the moonlight in the desert.... Advice from an oldie LOL! Use the KISS principal!
AnswerID: 110554

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 23:32

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 23:32
Geeze I dont want him seeing this reply, or he will expect it..........lol
FollowupID: 367048

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 07:51

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 07:51
Hi Karen,

In the words of Sir Humprey - make a brave decision! Take the trailer. After all with all the new stuff suggested here (Like swapping disposable undies for your hair dryer) you'll need a trailer to cart it all - so may as well take it with all the comfies in it!

You have a Nissan so towing it won't be a problem.

Read about these 12 volt electric blankets, might be handy when the mercury plumets to the ZERO mark. Will be thinking of your shivering tribe when I plug in the leckie blanket on my comfie matress after a nice hot shower.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 110576

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 08:06

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 08:06
You don't have to go without the hairdryer Karen - they are available in 12volt and work very well. They are currently on the sales inventory at my 4WD club for about $25 so I guess you should be able to pick them up from any good camping store or Jaycar for about the same price.....but then again with not much water you wouldn't need one I 'spose
Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 110581

Reply By: slave - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 09:41

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 09:41
I am watching this with interest Karen as we will be doing the SD in our June/July trip.
I can rough it fairly well - I think any way. I can do with out the hairdryer but have oily hair that i need to wash daily... that will be my biggest problem lol

I have found a packet of thick baby wipes great for a freshen up when you cant shower daily. We will probably use these instead of toilet paper some days.

I can cope with mice but snakes are a different story, thats when you will see me sitting on the roof rack.... propably with 1 child either side

mrs slave
AnswerID: 110588

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 10:21

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 10:21
Hello Mrs Slave
I dare say if we were there at the same time as you, I would be up on the roof rack with you. Like your trip, its going to be very interesting. I wish we could take the trailer, but I know thats not even going to be a possibility. But I think I might go and get one of those 12 volt hairdryers though. I have heard of them. Even if I have to nurse it on my lap the whole trip or tie it to the bullbar. Then we will be easy to spot hey, with a bright pink hair dryer tied to the bull bar.

Awwwwwww this is going to be an interesting trip................LOL

Karen
FollowupID: 367071

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 18:13

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 18:13
Now Mrs Slave, the drier air will suit your hair. But, remember the old spray in dry hair wash - still works well. After all, you are only going to be in the SD for a couple of nights. June/July can be very very cold - but absolutely beautiful at night with the twinkling fairy lights (oh, stars!) and large jets flying to Singapore etc. and satellites all night. Which way are you travelling west/east or east/west becuase the showers here are the best in the west.
FollowupID: 367449

Follow Up By: slave - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 13:30

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 13:30
Ruth

I haven't seen that dry hair wash for 20+ years, didn't know it was still available. I really hope the dry air does help my hair , but i will believe it when I see it. I never use the hair dryer and can manage with a 'top and tail' for a few days if I have to.

We will be travelling west-east

Mrs Slave
FollowupID: 367579

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 14:29

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 14:29
Girls, girls - I am truly ashamed of you! Since when did you ever let anything some MAN said to you - get to you? Who said you couldn't have a shower every day in the Simpson - I certainly do and so does Ian. You do not need the trailer but all the other stuff you can have. Shower - yes. Hairdryer - no, why not. Because in the SD you will have your hat on your beautiful hair and with your fly veil over the top - so hat hair it is. When you get to Birdsville you can borrow my hairdryer. Now, what next. Mice - no, not in the SD. Snakes - more likely to find them at your place than out in the SD. Baby wipes are wonderful. Very very important when you do use toilet or pull up for smoko that you use these before and after - greatest cases of Bali belly come from NOT washing hands properly before preparing/eating food, in mistaken belief that water is scarce. Tell the men - YOU WILL BATH each and every day. YOU WILL have hot water - when you cook dinner at night or in the morning when you wash dishes, put another kettle/billy of water on for personal shower/tea cup bath. Easy as. IF you have difficulty with husband - point him out to me when you get here. I'll fix him.
You are going on holidays - don't make the same old mistake of getting so caught up in worrying about the cleanliness police that you forget to just get out there and enjoy it - it's the most beautiful place and just wonderful eperience for kids and their parents. Don't frighten them and you with silly stories. Oh yes, when people arrive from the SD - most of the women come in looking and smelling gorgeous with their lippie on and earrings, as for the men - well now, that's a different story must be something to do with being macho and smelly and unshaven. Not in our camp - women bathe, men do too. You've heard of the old SD rule - No bath, no ooonga-boonga. Happy camping everyone.
AnswerID: 110625

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 14:52

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 14:52
you tell them Ruth...lol

Lyn
FollowupID: 367088

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 15:55

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 15:55
ROFLMAO

I had to read this through a few times, cause I was laughing to much.
I like your attitude towards these men Ruth, but when I point Geoff out to you when we get to you, you will probably run the other way. He is 6 foot 5 and pretty solid............
But a gentle giant.....he is lovable teddy bear......................
See you in Spetmebr Ruth........with the kettle on and a cold stubbie.
Karen
FollowupID: 367094

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:01

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:01
whats ooonga booonga???????????
steve

ps do you tow a water tanker or what is the secret ruth?????
FollowupID: 367105

Follow Up By: Wombat - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:04

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:04
Ooonga booonga - commonly known as Ooftie MacGoofty, or the horizontal Mumba, Steve.
FollowupID: 367107

Reply By: Redback - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 15:32

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 15:32
Yup yup yup!!!!!
AnswerID: 110637

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:29

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:29
Just don't forget the happy hour juice.
The rest just dont matter.
4 days without a shower n ya will feel like a local NO.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 110660

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:42

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:42
Dodger, if i have to go 4 days without a shower, I WILL BE STAYING HOME! That would be like an alcoholic going 2 hours without a drink............it just dosnt happen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol
Karen
FollowupID: 367112

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 15:09

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 15:09
OK then - cop this! How much water does everyone expect to carry to do a crossing of the Simpson Desert - one way? and after working the amount out - then tell me - what are you going to do with all that water? No, I am not being funny. You all forget that I see the results of the people travelling in the SD - and the good and bad results and it should all be good. There is absolutely no need to go without a shower/bath in the SD. Prove to me that your husbands need the 200 litres of whatever/howmuch wtaer they are taking with them - for whatever purpose they think they might need (bet they all drink beer/wine and not water!!).
Go on -prove it!
AnswerID: 110832

Follow Up By: Wombat - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 15:19

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 15:19
How much water are you suggesting should be carried, Ruth?
FollowupID: 367263

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 22:41

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 22:41
I thought the more water we can fit in the better. Even if we dont use it someone else might be in trouble and we can sell it to them for 50 bucks a litre. If they were desperate enough they would pay it.........lol. But then again I would give it to them. Hate to see someone in trouble. I think we will have about 140 litres with us at all times. I think that should be enough.

Karen
FollowupID: 367346

Follow Up By: TheUndertaker - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 07:38

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 07:38
Well now I believe I have heard the most ridiculous and potentialy dangerous comment ever by a member of EO ,, too much water ?? my wife drinks 8lt a day minimum + tea ect ect and that is in the comfort of brisvegas , carrying too much water in the s/d ,,tell that to the ones who die /died for a lack of water because "Ruth" said we dont need to carry too much water , totally irresponsible.
FollowupID: 367360

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 08:29

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 08:29
Your wife drinks a min8lts per day !!...crikey, it'd take a while crossing the SD then, with all the stops you'd need...I normally drink around 1 - 2 litres of water per day and can feel waterlogged, I don't think Ruth was saying you don't need the water, merely highlighting that you don't need to go without bathing....it would be interesting to find out just how much water people didnt carry who got into trouble, or more to the point, what it was they didn't do that perhaps resulted in their troubles to begin with.

I think, that given where Ruth lives, she is perhaps one of the best observers of just what goes wrong out there, and I for one, find her observations immensily interesting and informative, and I'm looking forward to her response to this thread.

Lyn

FollowupID: 367362

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (NSW) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 09:24

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 09:24
I'm with you Lyn, I down 2 to 3 litres per day, every day and at times feel I see more of the loo than life.
8 litres? Did you know excess thirst is a sign of oncoming diabetes??
Go for it Ruth, for me who is planning an SD crossing for next year your "from the coal face" observations of the creative way people invent to kill themselves is invaluable.
Please feel free to share what you've seen, learnt and just plain know.
Most of the forum are enjoying it. For those fully paid members of the "swivel chair pilots association" that don't like it, too bad. (Maybe they see too much of themselves in Ruth's coments?)

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 367369

Follow Up By: slave - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 12:15

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 12:15
We are travelling with 4 on board therefore we will need to carry more than the average 2 per car. We will be taking as much as possible.

Mrs Slave
FollowupID: 367395

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 12:54

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 12:54
Ruth, you are spot on, lady. We actually learned quite a lot on our trip last year. We carried 60 litres but thought we had an 80 litre tank under the ute, plus 30 litres of drinking water in 10 litre containers.

We actually ran our tank out showering four on the middle night, trying to get salty mud off. A VERY hot shower at Purnie bore and a refill of the tank and we were right again, before the swim at Dalhousie.

I think The Undertaker is way over the top putting words into Ruth's mouth. She said nothing like he believes he quoted. I am glad we wouldn't follow him through with his wife on 8 litres a day, especially if he was taking a trailer to carry all the water which is preferred not to be used across the SD. I agree with Ruth about 200 litres being extreme unless you are carering for a heap of people.

Karen there is a practicality limit, every kilo of water you carry lifts the mass over the weight limit. Springs, shockers and what you have to carry over the sand, tyre loads too in sandy or stony conditions.

One of the things we learned in conserving water was to use paper towels to help clean out cooking containers and crockery and burn them on the fire, a bit of fat or oil is good for getting the fire relit. It will limit the requirement for water as long as you don't burn on the food. A bit of wet sand can be a good abrasive if you actually do that however. Being a farmer we can get access to lots of the alcohol wipes too which are very good for cleaning knives, spoons and forks at stops when you don't need to wash up. You can get those at veterinary suppliers. All these things are a lot lighter than water to carry and use.

Ruth I also drink water is I have my beer and wine too though, or in tea, but the U'taker is way over the top. I did find the alcohol wipes were not too good on the salty mud !

Oh,.. we had heaps of water for drinking too left when we got to Oodnadatta though no beer and little wine.
FollowupID: 367398

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 13:02

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 13:02
I think we will be the same Mrs Slave. fit in what ever we can. I spose the little bit of extra weight isnt going to hurt with everything else we will have in there. And then I will be able to have a shower everyday, and that in turn will make Geoff's life bearable......................LOL.

Karen
FollowupID: 367401

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 13:12

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 13:12
Hi John
Those Alcohol wipes seem to be a very good idea, and Geoff has already suggested (or told me) that everything I buy is to be in burnable packets (not plastic) so it can go in the fire. As for the weight in the patrol, I spose I am lucky, its had the extra lift put on it and extra heavy duty springs or suspension what ever it was. Thats all boy talk anyway, I'm not up with all that. So I soppose that will be a good thing for the extra things I want to take, ie: water. I just hope Ruth has got a big rubbish bin empty and a nice hot shower for me when I get to the CP. I will become socialable again once I have had a decent shower. I just hope we dont get there and Ruth says there is a 5 minute limit on the showers. I would die. But anyway, with all the feed back on here it's been good. I have learnt some things. Who knows I might suprise myself (and Geoff) and cope pretty good.
Thanks for your reply John
Karen
FollowupID: 367403

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 13:15

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 13:15
C'mon karen, you can do it, I went 10 days without at xmas, didn't mean I didn't wash, it's amazing just how well you can wash yourself with a bucket of warm water, and some wipes and deodorant. The kids got wash downs too, and I think had an actual bath twice while we were away, I don't think we were on the nose...no one complained :)

My mother is constantly telling me that's how she lived her life for years until she moved into a house with "mod cons" in 1964 !

Lyn :)
FollowupID: 367405

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 14:35

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 14:35
Karen, the wipes are in little barrels of 100 commonly, and come as teat wipes for dairy farmers to use on cows teats. They are probably thinner than baby wipes but are slightly plastic, but burn up like paper. They are good for cleaning wounds or sterilizing teats obviously.

We have got some of the rag-on-a-roll too as it is a lot better but more costly than ordinary paper towels. Great for cleaning frying pans, camp ovens and things.

I don't know what the wipes cost, they come as part of a component where we tend to use a metho water mix in a spray bottle, these are then surplus.

It all goes to replace wash up water, which is better than having to carry more.... With all the axle articulation on the French Line weight can be a problem for wheels hitting obstructions. Patrols can achieve it a lot better than some hardly offroad 4bys.

FollowupID: 367415

Reply By: Redback - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 09:38

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 09:38
Doesn't beer count as water!!! i mean it's made from water isn't it
AnswerID: 110958

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 18:08

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 18:08
No, Redback, only counting water here - not the number of beers in the Engels or Waecos.
FollowupID: 367447

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 12:37

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 12:37
I seem to be up The Undertaker's nose for some reason - seems to be always that way with him. Life's too short to be so uptight! Relaaax, old fellow.
Now, who is actually going to commit in litres how much they would take?
Work it out on days in SD, how much you'd normally use, allow for emergencies.
For those of you who have not been out there - here's a hint - there is good water available in Birdsville (helpful if going east to west). Think of the weight factor also.
It's an interesting exercise when you really think about it - in an unemotional way - and could make a difference.
And, by the way, TheUndertaker, I'm the greatest proponent of safety in the SD you will ever meet - so back off.
AnswerID: 110991

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 12:54

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 12:54
Thanks Ruth,

That will be an interesting exercise for us for when we do the SD in 07 [at least that's when Al tells me we're going...hahahhah]

cheers

Lyn
FollowupID: 367397

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 13:01

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 13:01
Ruth, there are those who shoot first and then ask why, others who just go over the top and get shot up, and then there there are those with reason. Perhaps some will actually ready what you said......, those are the ones with reason and thought.
FollowupID: 367400

Reply By: Redback - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 13:36

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 13:36
OK i'll do it 60ltrs for 3 people, oh and 20ltrs of diesel.
AnswerID: 111000

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (NSW) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 15:07

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 15:07
I'll say 5 litres per person per day.
Say, 4 people x 5 litres = 20 litres per day.
After that I'd throw in a 25% contingency on the total amount.
So, if I was going with 4 people for 4 days,
4 x 4 x 5 = 80 litres, then add 25% = 100 litres for 4 people for 4 days to cross the SD. The most you are is 2 days from help.
I also have a UHF, HF and Sat Phone so the chances of not being able to raise someone are slim.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 367421

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 18:06

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 18:06
This is not too bad - but, remember that Geoff and Karen are going in the last two weeks in September which means that the weather is hotter than most of you are used to - added to which, the dry desert winds blow at that time and can be up to 10 degrees hotter than in town. So, you are drinking 5 litres each per day - what about cooking water, showering water. If it's hot you are going to want a little tub at night before beddies (and wash the feet too).
Karen, you will find that other than changing undies you will probably wear the same clothes for a couple of days. Oh no, she cries. Oh yes - you aren't getting dirty sitting in the a/c car, and it's dry air not sweltering humid air - this all makes a difference. Cut down on weight in clothes and allow enough water. You still haven't done your little math problem of working out how much you might need, do it and I'll correct your answer later.
This is the most fun (thought provoking time) I've had since the last coach came in to town.
JR - you know you are my hero, thank you.
FollowupID: 367446

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 18:16

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 18:16
Redback, how many days/nights?
FollowupID: 367451

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 21:01

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 21:01
Ruth I reckon 15 lts per person per day. And say we are in there for 4 days, there are 3 of us, thats 180 lts of water (oh no I'm not going to have enough, we are only taking 180lts). Thats for showering and drinking and dishes. Although I may have to borrow some of Phills (our son) for my shower. It wont worry him going with out a shower evry second day, so I will buy his share of water of him. lol. I think the couple we are going wtih want to do a couple of other tracks while we are in the SD, dont quote me on that though, it might be just before or just after.

So I reckon 120 lts, and that will get us through till we get to your place. I think we are staying at your park overnight, catch up on some clothes washing and of corse a few red wines that night.

Did I pass the test?
LOL
Karen
FollowupID: 367495

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 21:03

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 21:03
So I reckon 120 lts, and that will get us through till we get to your place. I think we are staying at your park overnight, catch up on some clothes washing and of corse a few red wines that night.

OOps

I mean 180 lts,,,,,,,,not 120lts

There is no way we will fit that much water in....................

Now what ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????
FollowupID: 367497

Reply By: TheUndertaker - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 20:20

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 20:20
Having met " Ruth " in 2002 in september prior to and during race week can say that her motivation in this instance only confirms my thoughts that were formulated then ,,, one greedy bit-h ,,,promoting birdsville well done ,,promoting her c/van park fair enough ,,telling people that they carry to much water totally iresponsible ,just as taking the handles from the taps in the c/van park is ,,,, tent peg on tent peg ,$ upon $ for camping in her park ,yet in an oasis that is Birdsville Ruth will be the water queen.
AnswerID: 111068

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 20:49

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 20:49
Undertaker I think that comment was a bit uncalled for on here. If you dont like the lady thats fine, dont like her, but I think comments like that are a bit low, Maybe you shouldnt say anything if you cant say something useful..........!
Karen
FollowupID: 367488

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 21:00

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 21:00
Agree with you Karen.....
FollowupID: 367493

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 21:16

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 21:16
Whats up mate??????? A bit uncalled for.
FollowupID: 367505

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (NSW) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 21:26

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 21:26
Let me get this straight, You went to Birdsville for the race weekend.
Found out that the caravan park gets crowded? Um, what part of that didn't you expect?
Also the caravan park owners wanted to conserve the most under valued natural resource in this country for everyones use by not watering the lawn.
Now you say you have a problem with all of it. Did you raise it with Ruth whilst you where there? At a guess no.
If you having nothing constructive to contribute, pull your head in.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 367508

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 21:35

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 21:35
.......Seems the best thing not to allow you a tap handle.....
FollowupID: 367511

Follow Up By: TheUndertaker - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 22:06

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 22:06
Geoff M,
yes we knew the park gets crowded ,
conserve water in Birdsville ?? you obviously have never been there ,the greenest irrigated footy field in ALL of QLD ,free car wash even .
And yes the removal of tap handles was brought up to the queen and the reply was 'Dont like it leave '

As for pulling my head in ,get real ,my original comment on the thread was and is that Ruth is iresponsible on her veiws and comments to the usage of and quantity of water required/needed /safety inthe s/d ,more worried about her damn shower than the fact people die for the lack of water and gives the false sense that help or her c/park and a shower is less than 4 days away ,, tell that to the fellows who died 7ks away from a water hole in WA just earlier this year .
FollowupID: 367527

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (NSW) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 22:36

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 22:36
Undertaker, so far you've contributed nothing constructive beyond being critical of another contributor.
What has a green football field & a car wash got to do with potable water? (potable = drinking water)
What have the two unfortunate ill prepared gents in WA got to do with this discussion??
Again, either contribute a constuctive alternative or pull your head in.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 367530

Follow Up By: TheUndertaker - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 23:09

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 23:09
Geoff M ,,as stated previously ,you have obviously never been to Birdsville ,if you had been you would know of their water abundance ,all of which is potable once its cooled down , ,yes pull your head back up your rear end ,the water used to irrigate the footy field and the car wash ect is the same water ,hundreds of thousands of gallons , ,,,,, as for contributing to this discussion , the subject matter was/is water/wastage/showering while in the s/d and one who should know better has given the advise that a shower is ALL important ,,, have yet to see anyone die from the lack of a shower ,yet people die for the lack of a drink of water ,including the 2most recent in WA , not relevant you say , get your priorities right .
FollowupID: 367533

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 07:24

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 07:24
Ruth did not say that a shower "was ALL important" she said "There is absolutely no need to go without a shower/bath in the SD" and has highlighted a formula to work just how much water to take. The comparison of the two men who died in WA is hardly relevant here as those two men were ill prepared for anything, as Ruth has stated she is one of the greatest voices for safety in the SD, and if I were to seek anyone's advice about travel and conditions in the area, it'd be her I'd seek out first.

I've come to the conclusion, that it wouldn't matter what Ruth said, you'd disagree, which is hardly contributing to the spirit of the original post.

Lyn
FollowupID: 367550

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 10:21

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 10:21
What a horrible wizened little man. So you are really more concerned that the caravan park couldn't cope and make a point on that, rather than contribute to reasonable discussion. I have little doubt it can cope with all the water people would like to drain out and run the showers for thousands of people a day. It's about time you tried to understand that.

To criticise Ruth for saying that people should be thinking how they can use less than 200 litres of water is one thing, but your chip on the shoulder attitude is the limit. It is plain to see you have no objectivity in your wizened life. I am surprised that your wife, you tell us, drinks nearly as much as a half grown cow, I wonder if she knows you told us how much!
FollowupID: 367567

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 01:08

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 01:08
Hi Karen, Just forget about the showers & make do with a billy of warm water & face washer ( thats for the 3 of you not each) lets face it is only for a few days while you are in the desert.
We only used 32 litres (2 adults) over 12 days in the SA/Vic border area, we started with 50L & we could have taken on extra on the way but chose not to, it was hot it was dry, we had meals that did not require much water or heavy washing, ok we did not drink a lot of water, there was 12 vehicles on that trip including 4 kids & every body got by. Changeing undies & sox every day will freshen you up a bit.

Some good tips there from John R, touring is about being comfortable but at the same time you need to keep the vehicle weight down.

cheers
AnswerID: 111123

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 09:50

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 09:50
Hi Bernie, thanks for your reply. BUT that I could not do. I COULD NOT go without a shower for 12 days, especially if it was hot and dry, how did you get by with 32 lts of water for 12 days. Even if I would have been able to have a swim if it was hot and dry, OMG, I shudder at the thought of not having a shower for 12 days.....................LOL

Apart from the hygeine side of it, I know you said you had a wash, but I could not go 12 days with out a shower, especially if I did have access to water. I wouldnt let Geoff and Phill go 12 days without a shower either.
Sorry Bernie, but ladies must be different than men, cause I really think ladies do need to shower at least once a day. LOL, Maybe I'm over clean.

You are a better camper than me Bernie, by far............
Thanks for your advice, but I hope I dont offend you, but I wont be taking your advice....................LOL.

Karen
FollowupID: 367564

Sponsored Links