Griffith to Broken Hill via Ivanhoe?

Submitted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 19:39
ThreadID: 22937 Views:4339 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
When I leave on my trip in June my first stopover will be Griffith to see the relations, and then on to Broken Hill via Hillston, Ivanhoe and Menindee.

Has anyone done this trek recently? If so what are the road conditions like? Any places of interest along the way?

Thanks in advance.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 20:10

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 20:10
G'day mate,
Did that trip just after easter. However, this time, I decided to take a detour and went northwards up to Roto and followed the railway line to Ivanhoe.
The roads were okay, but a bit dusty as you'd expect given that it hasn't rained around those parts for about 16 years!!
Cheers
Roachie
AnswerID: 111063

Follow Up By: Earvin Johnson - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 20:18

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 20:18
Hi Roachie,

I didn't even look at that route, looks the go to me. I always prefer to follow those small dotted lines on the map rather than the solid lines.

I don't think they would remember what rain looked like out there. It is a pretty desolate place at the best of times.

Thanks for the input.
FollowupID: 367480

Reply By: Member - John (Bathurst) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 20:59

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 20:59
Hi Earvin,
Ivanhoe is "in law" country to us. Wifes parents had a property there for many years and we had many a trip out on those roads. Still got rellies out there.

We were out there last July - all the roads were like gravel highways but of course things change very quickly although they have had no decent rain since 2001.

Don't know how long youv'e got but I'd suggest a detour from Hillston out to Willandra National Park for a look at the old homestead, shearing shed and surrounds. NP's have done a top job doing the place up and it's well worth a look.
Good campsites - wood supplied.

No need to go back to Hillston - from the NP go out on the back road to Trida and then on to Ivanhoe.

Great chinese meals at the Ivanhoe RSL club.

When you see Ivanhoe just remember that in the good days (1950's) the town boasted a new car sales yard and a taxi service. Hard to imagine it these days. Like a lot of country towns it's slowly dying.

Have a great trip
John.
AnswerID: 111080

Follow Up By: Earvin Johnson (NSW) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 21:48

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 21:48
Hi John,

Ivanhoe is rellies territory for me too. My uncle, aunty, cousins and grandmother all spent many years there and I think my uncle is still around there soemwhere. I would say that your rellies probably know my rellies given the size of Ivanhoe.

I was born in Griffith but never actually ventured out to Ivanhoe so I am looking forward to having a gander. I am not sure I will have time to check out Willandra NP as I am meeting people at Broken Hill and then on to the Simpson, but will see how time goes.

Cheers
FollowupID: 367516

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 22:11

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 22:11
I live and work in Broken Hill and my boss is based in Leeton. He travels regularly between the two and often uses the road through Ivanhoe if he is in a hurry. He reckons on about 6 hours with only stops that are forced on him by his bladder.

I have done the trip once, in January 2002. The road was quite good and it was not difficult to travel at near highway speeds. There is one section just before Ivanhoe wich is littered with quite large rocks. This is quite hard on tyres but can be avoided by travelling on the side road, just beside the fence line.

I would also recommend haveing a quick look at lake Menindee on the way through. It is dryer than Lake Eyre at the moment and is worth a seeing. There is a lookout on the left as you leave Menindee just after the Copi Hollow turn. Drive to the fence and then walk across the railway line to the regulator.

Once you leave there it is only 1 hour to Broken Hill, just watch for the setting sun late in the afternoon, around 5 or 5:30pm, as you get close to town
AnswerID: 111237

Follow Up By: Earvin Johnson (NSW) - Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 09:05

Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 09:05
Thanks duncs,

I was at Lake Menindee last year, great spot.

Thanks for the feedback.
FollowupID: 367634

Sponsored Links