changing timing belt on a 95 discovery

Submitted: Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 20:37
ThreadID: 23186 Views:1703 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone.
Yes I know that this model discovery had some major problems with this area. However we purchased our car about 2 years ago and it had had just about every problem fixed. We have had no problems with it oursleves and it is very economical. However saying that, I have heard that you need to change the timing belt fairly often. Can someone clarify jusy how aften. Also we would do this ourselves. Does anyone have any advice on this? Has anyone done this before?
There was someone on the forum a few weeks ago that knew a fair bit about discoveries. If you are out there I would apreciate your assistance. This person made some very helpful comments.
Thanks for your help
Regards Lenni
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 80scruiser - Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 21:19

Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 21:19
How many k's.
If it is 100 000 km you need to get the modified kit available from Landrover. Once fitted place a bit of yellow paint arond the timing cover near the fuel pump.
This lets other people know its had the modification.
Yes it is simple if you have done them before. Its just getting the harmonic balancer off. Before you put it back on grind about 2mm off the bolt. They have a tendancy to bottom out in the crank and there-fore not tightening the balancer and thats why the key ways flog out stuffing the engine. I would suggest a new bolt as most landrover workshops rectified this (in Sydney anyway) by doubling the torque setting of the harmonic balancer.
The fuel pump gear has a hole in it to allow you to put a spacer in it to stop it turning. I use a punch or drill bit of the correct diameter. The cam and crank both have timing marks. Pretty easy.
Best of luck
AnswerID: 112237

Reply By: garrycol - Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 22:00

Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 22:00
As a discovery owner the following site which is an Australian Landrover discussion forum will have all the experts you need. I believe that is an upgrade that should be incorporated whenthe belt is changed - but the guys on the forum will definietly be able to tell tou all that is required.
www.aulro.com/

Gazz
AnswerID: 112244

Reply By: Mark - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 19:17

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 19:17
Lenni,
I was advised by LandRover to change the belt every 60,000 to be safe. I did the job myself & the biggest problem was I had to make a crank pulley tool to hold the pulley in place when retightening to the massive 340nm. I found a lot of useful info on this site http://home.halden.net/discovery/ including step by step instructions on how the change the belt & make tools etc, also has a PDF download of the Engine workshop manual. There is a difference in the 200 TDI & 300TDI & with the 300TDI there were 2 kits that were required on some models, the first being the timing cover housing & the latter being pulleys with spacers to stop the belt running off & rubbing against the housing.

Cheers
AnswerID: 112331

Sponsored Links