gas producer ww2 vintage

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 09, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2327 Views:3562 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
during ww2 in victoria cars were fitted with gas producers. like bath heaters on the back of the car that had a fire in them for removing gas to run car. believe some bloke is using system in the centre at present generating gas from gum wood. has any body any information what so ever am unable to even locate a photograph of a ww2 people mover with gas producer regards peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Saturday, Nov 09, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 09, 2002 at 01:00
peter, have seen a photo of a car fitted with one, just like a big box on the back bumper. At moment don't remember what publication I saw it in. About 20 years ago, I saw a gas producer in a dump at a station in west Qld, it was made by NASCO, a subsidiary of Holden. Think there was a burner which heated charcoal to produce methane(?) for the engine.
In the Blue Mountains, near Glenbrook, there was an old flying fox across Glenbrook Ck, on which they use to ferry charcoal, which was produced near Euroka clearing. Ironbark was cut and burnt to produce the charcoal. Imagine this would have been railed down to Sydney for use there.
Lot easier to fill up at the local servo these days. See you...
AnswerID: 8344

Reply By: Eric - Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00
Peter.
The most efficient gas producers were built by Kert Yohanson in alice springs , Kert died only a few years ago and I have a copy of the drawings.
If you want to lean about them I suggest you read his book. I was keen to build a unit with micro processor control to manage the very contancarus gas supply but the impact on the environment of the unit would be greater than using diesel so the unit was never started.
Eric.
AnswerID: 8353

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:00
What is the book called?
Where is it available?
FollowupID: 4029

Reply By: Eric - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00
Sorry I cant remember the title and I got mine directly from kert, he only had the one book so you library seach will find it, If thats no good ring the transport hall of fame in Alice they probably sell it.
Eric.
AnswerID: 8414

Reply By: Mr Bean - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00
Hello Peter,
I know a little about these units and found them to be ingenous. Have you tried the War Memorial Research Centre in Canberra, they will have detailed drawings, old photos and a history of their use. I used to work at the National Film And Sound Archive, which has now been renamed to ScreenSound[one word] Austalia. I saw the prev mentioned unit in some old B&W footage operating public buses, sometime around the twenties or thirties.
Good luck
AnswerID: 8473

Sponsored Links