This happened the first week I had the cruiser
Did proove that Toyo's parts are water proof, no major prob's
Just took me ages to dry the bl**dy thing out
Happy 4x4ing
Barry!MPG:8!!MPG:9!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 16:43

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 16:43
mmm... similar things on the border track... well used to be anyway. luckily the ones i saw were empty. you wouldnt want to run only only one side of the wagon through the 'water' could make things very interesting. ill never take a puddle for granted again.
AnswerID: 113341

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 16:48

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 16:48
Barry
The problem is it looks like you could of just drove round it?

Richard
AnswerID: 113343

Follow Up By: Member - Barry W (VIC) - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 09:20

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 09:20
Richard
your right, I always do !!!
But to this day I do not know what possessed me to launch myself into that mud hole ????
Broke all the 4x4 responsible rules that day
Normally go around or go back
the only excuse I have is I suffer from
" OLD TIMERS " disease
A lesson for the New and experienced drivers out there !!!
Cheers
barry
FollowupID: 369547

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 16:43

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 16:43
Richard,, give the guy a go!!! he's a Victorian !! LoL,
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 369566

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 20:27

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 20:27
Barry
Being from Victoria I know thats there only two states to be in
pi$$ed and Victoria!!!!

Richard
FollowupID: 369579

Follow Up By: Member - Barry W (VIC) - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 20:53

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 20:53
Richard
Your wrong there's only one "STATE" - Pi$$ed
and there's "GODS" country
By the way which state are you
Cheers
Barry
FollowupID: 369584

Reply By: Footloose - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 17:09

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 17:09
Saw a Jackeroo "splashed" on the Cape. He just went straight in and that side was too deep. Result was new motor.
AnswerID: 113350

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 17:53

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 17:53
Used to love going through.

Now I just go around if I can. Every time.
AnswerID: 113361

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 19:52

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 19:52
Yeah me to, getting to old to flounder in the mud, although I must say it can be good fun.

Also takes so bloody long to wash the truck after wards.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 369498

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 20:26

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 20:26
"Also takes so bloody long to wash the truck after wards"

Oh dear John, that's not just getting old, that's getting boring!! ;-)
FollowupID: 369501

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 20:34

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 20:34
Hi Jeff
I was watching that 60 minutes program last week, they had the story on "Grumpy Old Men" Hmmm!!! I thought it sounds a bit like me.

Washing the truck just enhances the "Grumpiness" especially when I have not checked the depth of the bog hole first and know that it is self inflicted.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 369503

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 21:00

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 21:00
For me it's not so much the mud, but what you might hit.

A long while ago I entered a muddy bog hole that was around 4 foot deep and promptly stopped all of a sudden.

I backed out and dragged a long branch with me. It had gone straight through the radiator and hit the firewall. It had been sharpened and planted into the opposite bank under the water line....ready to catch the next unsuspecting tourist.

The ba$tards cost me hundreds in damages......
FollowupID: 369511

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 01:54

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 01:54
$hit Chrispy thats bloody nasty.
I know what I would do with that sharp stick if I caught the Ba$tards.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 369532

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 15:46

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 15:46
Yeah use it to check his tonsil through the anus.
GRRRRRR.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 369561

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 18:36

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 18:36
Did a similar thing in mine under the powerlines at Gembrook. My passenger said that he had been through a week or two ago and that it was only hub deep...the intevening week was the week we had the big storm in Melbourne (Feb) and had seriously undercut the bushes off to one side. Ended up with my bonnet under water and water up to 2" below the pass side window, with water up to the jewels inside the car.

After being pulled out, with the ECU located under the pass feet against the firewall, removed, dried over another cars heater outlet, reconnected, wrung out air filter, and with much coughing and spluttering started and ran well enough to drive out and home.

But yeah, don't they smell :-(

Worst part????????????????? It was the SECOND time I had been stuck in that same hole (other end though, a hollow submerged and sand covered log crumbled wedging a wheel). Sometimes you really have to marvel at your own stupidity............................

AnswerID: 113368

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 19:23

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 19:23
Well at the risk of starting a mine better than yours argument and sounding like Na Na Ni Aah Na.

I did a similar thing in the old GQ many years ago. Stopped in the bottom engaged both diff locks, what great things they are, and drove out.

We had just gone for a quick drive in the bush after church and were all in our Sunday best so I was very relieved when it came out.

Mine didn't fill up with water and no one had to get dirty but it was still a bad feeling when I lost drive in the bottom of a very deep puddle. I guess yours was a worse feeling though.

Hope it dries out soon.

Duncs
AnswerID: 113378

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 20:30

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 20:30
Yup, I did a similar thing, went through a puddle on the side of the track (that I could have gone around) in winter, struggled a little but made it out. Went back in spring and though "ah, peice of bleep now it's dried out a little".

Well everyone else had had a go too in the meantime so the ruts at the bottom where deep. Got half way through and bottomed out....

I was VERY lucky as the water was just lapping over the door sills. Kept the motor going as the exaust was totally submurged and wallowed around in the black swamp mud for a while digging and attaching the snatch, much to my mates amusment of course!
AnswerID: 113385

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 20:37

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 20:37
What is actually worse is Knowing that with the water lapping the windows, You have to open the door to get out to be able to do something about the situation.
Now thats a nasty feeling.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 113389

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 11:33

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 11:33
Theres been once or twice i have cursed having power windows for that reason.
I never realised the true value of side steps until I saw a mate do the same to his 60 series, have to climb out the window and he had no side steps. It was painful even to the people just watching.
FollowupID: 369621

Reply By: Dog (NT) - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 09:46

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 09:46
Well, at about the same time as you were posting this, I was in the garage basement of my apartment building, my new '05 GU parked next to the '90 GQ. I was stripping all the bits and pieces out of the old girl to put them in the new car.

First thing to come out was the loose stuff, first aid kit, fire blanket, fire extinguisher so on. I just threw it all the back of the GU, planning to find proper homes for it all later.

Right, next step, the GME UHF radio. The old GQ had been sitting for almost 4 weeks unused, and the battery was on its last legs, and not holding a charge, and was totally flat.

So I start pulling apart the dash (why anyone would be an auto elec, who knows?) Finally I get it all apart, pull the radio out and get to removing the wiring. Bugger it, I've got plenty of good wire on a roll, so I grab my wire cutters and just cut through the power cable. ZAP, big blue sparks...cool, ah well, didn't get a shock, just a reminder that I'd wired the radio direct to the second (and still good) battery and not through the ignition either, so the wires were still live.

The the blue sparks turn into small yellow flames...oops, try to pinch it out with my fingers. OUCH, hot plastic. Ohh, those flames are getting bigger...and starting to disappear up under the dash...oh that wouldn't be cool (hmm, it's still insured...maybe let it go? Nah, its parked in the basement of a high rise apartment, that wouldn't be so flash!)

Ah...fire extinguisher, run to the back of the GU, there is a big pile of 'junk'...hmm where did I put that extinguisher?

Anyway, I finally find the extinguisher, and gave the dash a good couple of long squirts, far bit of smoke, which clears before the buildings alarms go off.

Gee those extinguishers leave a mess. Fortunately I checked all the wiring and the only cable that got burnt was the CB power cable, and nothing else got burnt.

After cleaning up, came back and found this thread.....

AnswerID: 113443

Follow Up By: Member - Barry W (VIC) - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 21:01

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 21:01
Dog
What can I say "We all make Mistakes" some "BIGGER" than others
Glad to hear that it turned out not to bad
Those exstinguishers make a hell of a mess alright
Keep Smil'n
Barry
FollowupID: 369585

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 11:39

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 11:39
Its odd how you never forget the taste of that powder they use in extinguishers. If you find a cure for a CD player after its been attacked by a fire extinguisher, do share!
I used one of the CDs with brushes glued to the underside of it which is meant to work... the CD came out with white brushes (went in black) and the CD player is still in the same shagged condition.
FollowupID: 369623

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 11:48

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 11:48
Blimy, wasn't the CB fused? Must have been a bit of a shock to see the wire catch on fire!! Makes me wonder, the amount of times I've accidently sparked wires in the car doing work.... Scary stuff...
FollowupID: 369626

Follow Up By: Dog (NT) - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 19:13

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 19:13
Well, I could say I learnt heaps, but truth be told, I really knew better to start with!

The CB was fused, but the fuse (manufacturer fitted) was near the CB, and I cut closer to the battery.

The really bizarre thought just before I pulled the pin on the extinguisher was 'Damm, if I use this then I'll have to buy another extinguisher!' then common sense prevailed (after all, my car was about to burn!)

Don't know about the CD player, I use an iPod, but I might check it out to see if it works.

Dog
FollowupID: 369691

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 21:14

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 21:14
Hi Barry
I'm in WA lived here for 17 years
whats left of mine and the Misses family live over east in Vic and Qld
Have spent the last 10 years traveling across OZ back a forth finding deferent way you can see by my plot files

Had to get out of Vic pretty fast, left with a 4by Ute and the ct, something about wanting to take my drivers licence away?
But you get that
As my old man used to say losing your licence so was the best thing to happen to you

Things have worked out fine over here

By the way you never become a West Ozi unless your famous (Chris Judd) LOL

p.s I was Born in Broadford

Regards

Richard
AnswerID: 113496

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 21:57

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 21:57
He he, as i found out today, v6 jackaroos dont like pushing bow waves of thick sloppy mud which are over bonnet height, wasnt a side run available, and was easier than going back . Took an hour with the baby gerni at my mates house to even attempt to clean up the car / engine bay. Now i have an intermittent alternator drop out occuring, it'll go away when it dries out, yeah sure it will. ( if i tell myself enough it will happen :-0)

Anyway, i had to recover the troopy 3 times back out of the hole till he made it through, so i dont feel so bad :-)))) Damn suzuki flew through first time !!!

My biggest mistake - spending up big on MTR'S when the suzuki on apache remould mud tyres kicked my behind. Next time i'm going the $ 95 option....

LIVE AND LEARN - yeah sure we do
AnswerID: 113505

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 16:56

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 16:56
Well i drove to work on the battery only monday morning , gota love the big delcor marine batt !!! And ended up having to get the alternator re-built that arvo, sparky laughed at how much mud and grit was in there, but its now good as new again, $ 300 later though :-(((((.

Cant complain too much, its done 150,000ks and an awful lot of that off the tar, spent its first 3 years in the pine forests before i got it, so it hasnt done too bad i reckon.
FollowupID: 369827

Sponsored Links