Skytrek and St Mary's Peak

Submitted: Monday, May 30, 2005 at 10:46
ThreadID: 23413 Views:3554 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
What a quinella. Spent the weekend in the Flinders Ranges, camping at Willow Springs. The bush camping site with the long drop was perfect.
Saturday we (Tony, Mark and myself) spent 8 hours driving the Skytrek. The track was accurately rated as moderate (I think the 2" lift was well worth it). The scenery was spectacular.
Sunday we hiked to the Flinders highesty point - St Mary's Peak (1170 metres). This was a magnificent hike with some of the best views you could imagine. The hike took 4.75 hours and quite difficult in parts.
The weekend made me proud to be a South Australian (with what we have to offer).
HUGGY
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 11:04

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 11:04
Hi Huggy:

Gotta agree. When I visited the Flinders last year, I thought Skytrek was an absolute highlight. I did not do St Mary's Peak (age has its limitations), but I loved the whole area and its marvellous attractions. Gotta get back.

Cheers
jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 113537

Reply By: old-plodder - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 17:15

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 17:15
We were impressed on a trip last year.
Did the northern flinders coming in via the Strezlecki, and skytrek was a highlight.

Interested to hear if any other similar treks in the southern part.
Maybe next year for a return trip. And a few wineries?

Now we have come down the Strezlecki and Birdsville tracks a couple of times, how else can we access the flinders from Qld without too much bitumen?
AnswerID: 113586

Reply By: Member - gujimbo - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 18:48

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 18:48
Greetings all
Agree with all, the Flinders Ranges are great area to explore, currently planning a trip during the Sept school holidays two vehicles with camper trailers going via Broken Hill , Tibooburra , Cameron Corner then south to the Flinders Ranges, can't wait!!!!!
AnswerID: 113610

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 20:26

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 20:26
4.75 hours did you run?? I have done the hike twice once as a young, un (climbed over the rim but not to the peak) and again in 99 both times (top) i walked through the middle of the pound past the homestead and then up the rim of the pound to st marys peak I am unsure of the time but was around 6 -7 hours. It is marked as an 18k walk from memory and is absalutly fantastic
AnswerID: 113628

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 09:54

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 09:54
EIGHTEEN KLM WALK!!!

Eighteen, KLM and WALK IN THE SAME SENTENCE????

FollowupID: 370182

Reply By: HUGGY (SA) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 06:10

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 06:10
Hi Davoe,
There are two ways of hiking to St Marys Peak. The first way is to walk into the pound and then climb St Marys Peak....I think this was the way you tackled it. It is recommended that this trip takes approx 8-9 hours.
The second way is to take the outside trip. This way is 15.2 k return and it is suggested this should take 6-7 hours. This is the way I went. Even though it is shorter it was still one of the toughest hikes I have tackled. Perhaps age (49) and weight (107kg) forced me to take the "soft" option.
At the end of the day the views were as good as any you would see in this wonderful country of ours.
HUGGY
AnswerID: 113667

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 22:45

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 22:45
agreed abou the views, The way you went is the way back from the way i went and was a real killer for me last time as I had on new shoes (blisters) and light was fading (set off at 12 got back around 8) and although fairly flat seems to go on and on. A beer at the resort never tasted better
FollowupID: 369898

Reply By: sshep - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 19:13

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 19:13
hi huggy, we stayed in the small valley with the long drop 13 mths ago , excellent camp site , the map pack for skytrek was accucurate and well done also a good keep sake, goats attacked our rubbish bag while we were on the track so we had a wide spread clean up after a tiring day. regards shep
AnswerID: 113775

Follow Up By: HUGGY (SA) - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 09:26

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 09:26
Hi SSHEPP,
I thought the owners did a fabulous job of the whole place (the camp sites were well done and the Skytrek was awesome. My mate wants to head back to the same place, however I am not one to do the same thing twice. As this was my first time to the Flinders I am sure there are several other similar adventures calling out for me. I saw plenty of vermin (oops I mean roos) and emus but no goats.
Huggy
FollowupID: 370177

Sponsored Links