C/vanning to Darwin for 1st time

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 16:01
ThreadID: 23494 Views:2355 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hubby and I are travelling to Darwin next year towing a 17' poptop with a 2003 falcon, and need information on a few things please. Are there plenty of service stations, or should we carry fuel and if so where is the best place to stow it? Also we are a bit worried about getting into caravan parks. We have heard they are very busy and hard to get into. Should we put a battery pack into the van in case we have to camp by the road (how likely is this to happen?) or is this an unnecessary cost. Any other hints for this couple of novices would be appreciated. By, golly there's a lot to think of. How do others pay their bills if they are away travelling for 6 months or more? I'm getting stressed. I need a holiday!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 16:34

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 16:34
Greetings

You may find this forum Caravaners Forum of great assistance with perhaps more like soles than here.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 113917

Reply By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 16:43

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 16:43
Depends where you are going - but generally speaking there are plenty of fuel stops on the Stuart Highway - and plenty of places to stay - sure they get busy - but you don't really have to book - you will get in just about everywhere -you might have to accept an unpowered site occasionally -we found the longest was from Port Augusta to Coober Pedy - and there are a few caravan parks in Coober - the best tip we find is to start looking before 4 o'clock - by 5 everyone has arrived -
also a good idea is to get the RACV (or your local motoring organisation) tourist park guide - ring ahead either before you leave in the morning or as you get service heading into a town - some of the stops on the side that are not towns - like Cadney Park are excellent - just a roadhouse with a small park attached.
Enjoy - if you are going to Darwin the Palms caravan park is huge and just on the edge of town. The caravan park at Jabiru in Kakadu - is fantastic - pool, bar, bistro - plenty of room.

As for paying bills - you need to get your mail forwarded - there is an organisation that will do this - or you can pay a lot of bills on swipe cards at any post office in Australia. Just need to work out what is due while you are away i.e. insurance, rego etc - all utilities can be paid on post office as long as you have a bar code from any bill - like electricity or phone bill - you can just pay an amount - or you can get things direct debited out of your account when they are due - ring your insurer etc to get date .
you will have a ball -
jules
AnswerID: 113918

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 17:23

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 17:23
Jules has nearly said it all,

Just do it easy stop and look and experience, see each place as you go and do the occasional free camp. Yes by all means buy a battery/power pack, they are reasonably cheap, just for insurance if you get a flet battery. Observe what others are using and learn. It's the best way to see OZ.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 113927

Reply By: Steve - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 21:21

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 21:21
Best advice IMHO ...be parked and set up by 4pm...at the latest...an don't pass any out of the way servos unless sure you can make next destination...after that you will have a great trip...even if you haven't told us where you are coming from !!
steve
AnswerID: 113974

Reply By: angler - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 20:43

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 20:43
Don't forget to call in for a night or two at Banka Banka, great spot and reasonable price. Cheaper beer than most other places.
I did a short story about our Darwin trip on my web page www.bycompass.com

Don't try and go too far each day, try and stay 'overday' rather than overnight. Take your time and smell the roses.
The road is a bit boring and not as good as some like to think. One good thing is you can concentrate on the driving and not on where the police might put a speed camera and this allows for a more enjoyable trip.
AnswerID: 114130

Reply By: arnoldo - Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 16:16

Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 16:16
my wife and i traveld to darwin and kakado yes there are plenty off fuel stops we carried a spare jerry can of diesel with usin our terrano 2fwd we stay in lots of free camping spots along the way there is a book camps 2 australia wide it is the ultimate guide for the budget conscius traveler you cab buy it from po box 828 cooroy queensland 4563 phone 07 5442554 most over nite stops have water and toilets take a solar shouwer bag with you . have a batterie set up in the cavan it advantage so you can have light at nite

have ga great trip
arnrie
AnswerID: 114442

Sponsored Links