West Kimberley Camp Spots

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 20:46
ThreadID: 23504 Views:1710 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We are looking to get up to the West Kimberley in the comming school holidays (first 2 weeks of July) and get to some warm weather. Wondering about known and recommended camp spots. Any info about Barn Hill would be handy.
Cheers
Ray
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: troy35 - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 21:09

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 21:09
Ray,

I have lived in Broome for 15 years and knew Barn Hill when it was just a small ablution block in a paddock.
What exactly do you want to know about it? Barn Hill is full of retirees that come up and spend 6 months out at Barn Hill coming into Broome once a week or less. I have four young children and along with friends have gone out to Barn Hill to stay on long weekends etc but as I know Janice (owner of Barn Hill) she tries to keep us away from the "locals" for their sake and for ours.

Its okay for a night or two but its just a beach. Are you into camping or CAMPING without toilet and showers etc. Do you have a four wheel drive and camper trailer? What are you into, fishing, swimming, nature walks? How far North do you want to go? Will you base yourself in Broome? Do you want overnighters from broome or further away that you can
Do you have kids, how old are they?How much do you earn per annum..No just kidding.
I can tell you about heaps of different spots if you tell me what you want to do. (Even the secret local spots where all the real fish are.)
AnswerID: 113969

Follow Up By: Member - Martin- Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 00:42

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 00:42
Hi Troy35
Hate to jump in on someone elses post but was interested to hear your comments on Barn Hill as we are leaving this Saturday to head up to the GRR and we were going to stay at Barn Hill for one night as we did not want to go into Broome. We are into CAMPING as you put it, we are self sufficient with a Camprite camper towed by a GU Patrol and would love to know of somewhere that we could get away from the usuall camping spots, love to fish and just relax we have a 3 year old son who was born into camping did his first big trip to the NT and Kimberlys when he was 8 months old so any info would be appreciated.
FollowupID: 370039

Follow Up By: troy35 - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 05:49

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 05:49
Martin,

Barn Hill would be perfect for you to stop a night and avoid Broome. Dont get me wrong its a good place, we have four kids and our friends have three kids so as you can imagine it can get loud at times. Thats why we are put away from the residents when possible.

Okay first question is do you want a spot that is on your route to the GRR or are you willing to detour? Or do you just want an alternative to Barn Hill to stop for the night? I know a spot on the way to Fitzroy Crossing which you could stop at but you would then have to take the Tunnel Creek road from Fitzroy Crossing up to the GRR. Wouldnt matter that much, your not missing much by not going via Derby anyway.
FollowupID: 370042

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 07:21

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 07:21
Troy could probably help you out better but I found a nice quite spot farly clost to Broome. You head up the cape levueque rd until you get to a sighn warning it is aboriginal land or something then around that area take a left and follow the road for a bit till you see a track off to the right this track comes out at a spot with a creek on one side and a rocky cliff on the other I think the high tide cuts the track off but the creek was full of fish as was the fishing off the rocks. If you look accross the creek there is a beach on the other side of the mouth that I guess can be accessed by not taking the track to the right
FollowupID: 370045

Follow Up By: troy35 - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 09:58

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 09:58
Davoe is right about it being a good spot but wrong about its exact location. You do head up the Cape Leveque rd and turn left where the sign says Willie Creek Pearl farm etc. You then travel along this road past the Willie Creek trun off until you come to a turn off marked as Barred Creek which is on your left. Follow this road until you come to a T intersection. (There are the usual signs there about taking only photos, leaving footprints etc) If you go left you eventually come out onto the beach side of Barred Creek where Davoe was. DO NOT DRIVE DOWN TOWARDS THE WATER, stick high near the sand dunes and when you first come onto the beach turn right and hug the dunes. If you were to go right at the T intersection you would eventually come out on the opposite side of Barred creek. Here you can fish the creek or walk over the other side and fish the ocean.
On low tide there is a rubbly section in the middle of the creek, plenty of whitig here if you are into that. If you have a boat and you troll some lures around especially over the reef at the mouth of the creek you might get some mackeral. Also fish the ocean side with prawns for blue bone.
FollowupID: 370055

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 20:21

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 20:21
Thanks for the correction troy it sounds like we are talking of the same spot (it was over 2 years ago) I camped on the oppisite side of barred creek between the creek and the rocks. fish everywhere in the creek on the outgoing tide but couldnt entice them . At high tide I fished off the rocks into the ocean and did ok at low tide there was a beach at the base of the rocks
FollowupID: 370117

Sponsored Links