Barra Trip , Daly River ,NT

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 18:05
ThreadID: 23536 Views:2477 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi ,

Just got back after five days on the road from Litchfield N.P. Boy that place is a shocker - with the roads all perfect now , it has become the favourite day trip from Darwin for backpackers and other tourists . Twelve years ago you were having a bad day if you were sharing Buly Rock Holes with 20 other people . I reckon there were 120 there this time and the thought crossed my mind that they were probably all having a leak , so I should stay in the top one .At 4.00 pm they all disappeared for the drive home and we were left with five camps there . YUK .

Went to Crab Claw for 4 days before that . Great camp ground , swimming pool and cheap , good , friendly bar and dinner overlooking the beach .Good estuary fishing .

Fishing on the Daly was really tough going . Most fish caught in the Classic while we were there , were caught way down the River around Alligator Head , but we only had a 3.7m Dart with a 15 HP and it had trouble getting on the plane with three guys and gear . So the furthest we got down was the S bend . Our biggest fish was 96 cm , most fish were 45 to 65 cm . BUMMER .( next year will be better ! )

I got an average of 7 KLM per litre towing my Trak Shak with the boat on it and swags on my roof rack and a big load of boat gear and grog inside .

I'm off to the Pilbarra on June 26 , and flying up to Darwin to fish in Arhem land in November . Wanna see and do lots before I croak .

Cheers ,

Willie .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 20:49

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 20:49
mmmmmmmmmmmmm 120 dutch , swedish and german backpackers all seemingly just come from the miss backpacker of the year contest run in darwin and now contesting the who can wear the least so what was the problem?
AnswerID: 114132

Follow Up By: G-wizz - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 22:02

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 22:02
You obviously haven't seen the line-up ........ and their personal hygiene habits.
FollowupID: 370127

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 14:45

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 14:45
Davoe ,
There was a bit of good perving which is about all old farts can do .
There was also a lot of horrendously fat people ( about the mass of a garden shed ) who were dragging themselves across the slippery rocks in a way reminiscent of elephant seals . It was not pretty .
FollowupID: 370208

Reply By: Lyds - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 22:12

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 22:12
I gather 5 camps doesn't mean 5 camp sites eh.

Are you saying you're back in Sydney? just to head back up that way in a few weeks? wow.

Which way did you come back?
AnswerID: 114157

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 14:40

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 14:40
Stuart ,

I meant five camp sites , not five camp guys who would have been much more lively I imagine .

I am back in Sydney for a month , then off again to the Pilbarra - but this time with my wife . I was away for 6 weeks in the NT without her and if I had not come home when I did , I was in for a flogging . I came back down through Mt Isa , but was quite surprised when someone said that via Pt Augusta was just about the same distance .

When I go to the Pilbarra , I am going via Kalbarri to see a mate for a few days . Then I pick up my wife , who is flying over to Carnarvon and leaving the same way from Pt Headland after three weeks . Then I am off by myself for three weeks in Rudall N.P. and west of there then back home via the Tanami .

Sounds bloody good to me !

Cheers ,

Willie .

FollowupID: 370207

Reply By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 00:05

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 00:05
Great stuff Willie,

Now thats a retirement!

96cm Barra....Beauty, on the troll or cast.......or maybe bait?

Browny
AnswerID: 114178

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 14:59

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 14:59
Hi Browny,

Bait was really hard to catch - cherubin were as rare as flying fish feathers - the locals reck it was . We wasted the few baits we got on some stunning catfish !

We got all our fish trolling . Casting gives poor results on the Daly except at creek mouths during the run-off .

50 % of the fish we got were under 55 cm .

It will be better next year I'm sure .

Cheers ,

Willie .
FollowupID: 370211

Reply By: boshie - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 15:48

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 15:48
Where abouts is crab claw?
We are heading up that way in two weeks Can't wait, planning this trip for so long thought it wouldn't happen, We have 10 weeks to explore the NT have found all the popular spots to visit but would welcome any that are not so crowded. We are towing a boat 14 foot, so we can do lots of fishing along the way!
Boshie
AnswerID: 114910

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 17:59

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 17:59
Hi Boshie ,
Crab Claw is south west of Darwin in Bynoe Harbour- maybe two hours drive . You go about 70 klm south out of Darwin and turn right ( west ) at the Berry Springs turnoff. Its an easy run and is 90 % is bitumen .
Crab Claw is a nice camp ground with cabins on a nice sandy beach ( no swimming - crocs ) but very pretty .There is a dining room where you can have a nice cheap but good feed in a bar/ dining area looking out over the beach and estuary .
It is mainly salt water estuary fishing - queenfish , GTs etc with jewies on a wreck. There are some rivers and creeks at the top of the estuary if you want to chase jacks and barra .
For the good fishing you need a decent motor and a reasonable boat to handle wind chop so you can belt a few klm down to the entrance where the fishing is good . It's a bit so so up near the camp ground .
Do a google search for Crab Claw and you will get all the details . You will have to book if you want a powered site .
Cheers ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 370706

Sponsored Links