Routes from Licola to Woods Point via Walhalla

Submitted: Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 13:31
ThreadID: 23558 Views:6319 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I am currently planning a trip through the high country for next
January, it will be a failry long one and I am after some info from
those who know the area. ie: (people from the Geelong 4WD club)...
Licola to Walhalla then on to Woods Point.
Can I cross the MacAlister river at MacAlister Gorge? My maps show a track.. which then goes on to linkup with the S Armt track...
We could then head south to Walhalla and explore the area and then head north again to woods point, or is there another way to explore the area coming from Licola to Walhalla and Woods Point...?
I will probably have a convoy and we are all experienced with well
setup vehicles....
Thanks in advance.

Will
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 14:04

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 14:04
The Macalister can be crossed at the gorge on the Burgoyne Gap Track.
Crossing is relatively simple if the water level is low, no way to tell that this far in advance ask again closer to the time.
Have a look at my profile for some pictures of the river and tracks in the area.

Burgoyne Gap is a great drive from the Licola Rd to the river some sections very steep and very loose, great locker territory.

Most of the tracks in the area you are wanting to access are in general good condition and you should not have to much difficulty with a reasonable vehicle.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 114230

Follow Up By: GUPatrol - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 14:58

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 14:58
Thanks John,

Exactly what I was looking for!!

How long does it take (assuming good conditions) to drive from Licola via the Burgoyne track to O'Tooles?

Is O'Tooles close enough to Walhalla to setup a base camp there and visit the town etc?? Or should we camp closer to Walhalla?

Thanks

Will
FollowupID: 370210

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 15:08

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 15:08
Will Licola to O'Tools is easy done within a lazy day including morning and afternoon tea stops if conditions are good and depending on the number of vehicles you have.

Base at O'Tools is close enough to get to Walhalla.
It's a great area and most tracks are in general very good condition, take it easy and be careful of water depth on the crossings and you won't have to many hassles.

The rivers in the area are the lowest at the moment that I have ever seen, but that can and will change after the winter snow etc so best to ask again closer to your trip.

Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 370212

Follow Up By: GUPatrol - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 16:51

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 16:51
Thanks for the valuable info John...

The trip is planned for January and who knows what the conditions will be then but the info you provided is great as it gives me an idea for the plan.

Will
FollowupID: 370228

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 17:41

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 17:41
Will when you have worked out your route then post it on here and you should be able to get enough feed back on individual tracks to fill in the gaps so to speak.

Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 114255

Follow Up By: GUPatrol - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 20:44

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 20:44
John,

Thanks for that.
I pretty much got it sorted out, I have done heaps of trips to the high country over the years but the areas around Licola, Walhalla and Woods point have been those areas that I just kept thinking 'not enough time this year', and so on...

My rough Itinerary will be Deddick trail, via Jacksons crossing (if we can still cross it since they increased the Snowy's flow) been on that one many times.
THen onto Haunted stream (been there too), Dargo, up Billy goat (been there too, then down to Licola via Tamboritha, then down to O'Tooles via the route you answered my query on, explore Walhalla area, then to Woods point, across to Howqua via burnt camp and minor tracks, then onto Eildon...
I have allowed about two weeks but I can cut some of the already done areas in preference to the Walhalla areas...

Will
FollowupID: 370252

Reply By: gqpat - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 21:18

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 21:18
If your in woods point try the Abbott link and Abbott tracks these are ment to be very rough and challenging..
AnswerID: 114287

Reply By: pt_nomad - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 17:34

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 17:34
Jucie is pretty exy in Licola, you could drop down to Heyfield (more reasonable price) and then across to Moe (restock the tucka draws) and proceed through walhalla to woods point without backtracking.
The thompson at Coopers creek makes for a buet slack day in the river.
In peak season camping in the area can be hard to find as all the good spots are 2wd accessable.Jucie is pretty exy in Licola, you could drop down to Heyfield (more reasonable price) and then across to Moe (restock the tucka draws) and proceed through Walhalla to woods point without backtracking.
The Thompson at Coopers creek makes for a buet slack day in the river.
In peak season camping in the area can be busy as all the good spots are 2wd accessible.
Depending on the time in January, Coopers / Bruntons bridge may be a viable option. Camping in the town of Walhalla is very exposed and a ‘only if you have to’ job.
Supplies in Walhalla are practically non existant (worse than Licola). Rawson and Erica are a little better. Erica has ULP and Diesel., but is only 30mins from moe (Moccasins On Everyone) where you get the lot.. The rawson pub has had good counter meals in the past, not sure what its like now.
Woods points had cold beer and frozen bread.

AnswerID: 114362

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 19:53

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 19:53
NO FUEL AT ALL IN ERICA!
FollowupID: 370309

Sponsored Links