Birdsvile to Cameron Corner in 1 day?

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 22:39
ThreadID: 23612 Views:2085 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Did anyone done Birdsvile to Cameron Corner section in one day?
Is it is relative easy to do (with kids), which tracks would one take?

Thanks,

Stan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 23:05

Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 23:05
Stan,

We have just returned from Birdsville Innamincka and Tibooburra.

We took about 7 hours from BDV to INN via Cordillo Downs. The road was very rough in the Cordillo area and we travelled for hours at 40-60KPH. A smoother road is via the "Arrabury turn off". It is further however.

We took about 3 hours (I think!) to travel from INN to CAM via Merty Merty and Bollards Lagoon. That is a good road but take care on the sand dune crossings/crests. We were nearly cleaned up by a couple of opposite direction speedsters sitting in the middle of the track. Luckily I was hugging the LHS.

To answer the question, if you set out very early you might just do it in daylight hours at this time of the year. But it would be an effort.The distances on the map are no way to judge the time taken due to the variable track conditions.

Spend some time at INN it is great! I can recommend the river trip with Peter. and camp at the town common.

Kings
AnswerID: 114490

Reply By: Karsten from Big Red Cafe - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 10:27

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 10:27
Gidday Stan

Regarding Birdsville-Innamincka, the quickest route is via Walkers Crossing. This is the route that locals take and it provides a journey of 3-5 hours - much quicker than Cordillo or Arrabury.

Good Luck

Karsten

AnswerID: 114530

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 13:44

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 13:44
Bad idea - while it can be done, you will be completely stuffed from wrestling with the roads all day. Did that very journey last September - 7 hours to Innamincka gives plenty of time for stops and a poke around plus a photo or two - I think it was then about 3.5 hours down to Camerons the next day - that also included a couple of poke around stops ! Allowing some quality time for these trip legs makes a huge difference to bush travel in my view - If I don't have the time, I cut back on distances for a trip now - I think its important to maintain those quality sessions out of the bloody car ..... especially if kids are in the equation.
AnswerID: 114575

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 16:22

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 16:22
I would not do it. There is far too much to see that you will miss if you travel that fast. You would also put yourself under too much pressure increasing the chances of both you and the kids having a lousy time of it. It is a long drive, spread it out and enjoy it.

We did Birdsville to Innamincka in one day via Walkers Crossing with a liesurely start and arrived in comfortable time to set up camp.

On leaving Inn we travelled via the Bore Track to home in Broken Hill in the day. that was OK but I was going home and did not need to make camp. We had lunch in Tib.

Duncs
AnswerID: 114598

Reply By: Gossy - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 16:59

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 16:59
Dont do it (like everyone else has said) Anyway what's the rush? The great part of 4wding is enjoying the view that 99% of Australians will never get to see. Stop half way and take your time is my advice.
AnswerID: 114605

Reply By: Member - Stan (VIC) - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 22:53

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 22:53
Thanks for all the replies. Confirmed my thoughts on this as well.

Stan
AnswerID: 114692

Sponsored Links