100S Electrical Problem Instrument Cluster

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 22:33
ThreadID: 23672 Views:6659 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
At Easter we travelled from Trans Australia Railway Line at Rawlinna through Balgair and Arubiddy Stations (with owners permission) to Cocklebiddy. This was some of the roughest, most corrigated tracks we have been on. In places worse than Cape York !!

Part way through the trip, all instruments reminder indicators and indicator lights started to flash (in sync with the corrigations - ie no corrigations no problems) There was NO loss of power or any other adverse effect.

My auto electrician could not find any faults apart from some blown globes. He could not locate any problems. While on city streets and "mildly" rough tracks the lights do not flash at all.

Last weekend we camped near Bluff Knoll and on several really bad corrugations the same indicator light flashing happened again on several occasions.

Has anyone had a similar problem (Its almost like there is a loose connection on the instruments) Any suggestions welcomed.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: peter in sa - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 22:47

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 22:47
IT'S the corrugation warning devise built in behind the dash,if its to rough this will cause all lamps to flash.NEXT stop vehicle check wheel's have'nt fallen off cause it's happen before.cheer's GREENDOG
AnswerID: 114844

Follow Up By: Trekkie - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 22:54

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 22:54
Peter in SA - sorry to ask and to be a cynic but are you for real -
FollowupID: 370651

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 16:14

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 16:14
No, he's not for real. That wasn't available in the 80 series.
The Corrugation Warning Device or CWD was discontinued in the US production 62 series. Toyota America said there was no market for it in the known world.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 370701

Follow Up By: peter in sa - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 22:17

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 22:17
Hi. with a bit of a giggle to my self knowing that i was only joking and to find out there was such a thing in the past i hope you solve your problem cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 370743

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 22:49

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 22:49
Trekkie,

Can't help you with your problem but I gotta tell you that strange bleep happens.

Before my trip to the Corner Country last year, I had a minor problem where the little blue indicator light on the Air-conditioning button wouldn't come on when the Air-con was activated. The solution appeared hopeless, with a major dissection of the instrument panel required to get at the rear of the switch.

Well, whilst travelling along the corrugated road to Coongie Lakes, with a bleep tered rear window and the engine Check light coming on and staying on, I gutsed out and returned to our base at Innamincka.

The next time I looked, the blue light was on when the Air-con was on and hasn't failed since. Only time I've known a fault to be shaken together again.
Bugger me!!!
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 114845

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 02:43

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 02:43
Dumn question but was your fan on? green air con light wont illuminate while the fan is off
FollowupID: 370656

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 15:40

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 15:40
Davoe,

Na Mate, It was the blue indicator in the centre of the Air-con press button switch. Was probably a loose globe but it aint loose anymore:-)
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 370694

Reply By: Mike Harding - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 23:29

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 23:29
Almost certainly it is a poor connection _somewhere_ on the instrument cluster. It may be on the main connector or it may be a "dry joint" on the printed circuit board upon which the cluster is built. It is probably associated with the means by which the cluster communicates with the rest of the vehicle - the CAN bus, perhaps. My guess is that the cluster is loosing communications and going into a "panic" mode. The fact that it is recovering suggests an intermittent connection fault - these can be quite difficult to track down. Good luck :)

Mike Harding

PS. The poor connection may also be on the next device "down the line" from which the cluster receives it's information.
AnswerID: 114848

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 08:21

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 08:21
Check the plug in the alternator.
AnswerID: 114854

Reply By: fatz - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:10

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:10
Footloose has got it in one, Plug on the back of the alternator. Had the same issue and it took forever to figure it out. Takes a bit of fixing as well. You'll have to tighten all the connections. If they have ever got wet they will be corroded as well.

Mick
AnswerID: 114860

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 20:05

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 20:05
Alt plug....also follow the wore from the alt to the first securer to the body and loosen that, so it doesnt pull the plug as much....
When you have th ignition on without the motor running, these same lights arwe on to show you they are working...the alt controls this, and loosing power through the plug actually causes momentory lack of charge, hence the lights.
:-)))
Andrew
AnswerID: 114946

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 01:43

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 01:43
Trekkie, I know a bloke who had the exact same problem with his brand new TD 100 series. Toyota replaced the whole instrument cluster.

Cheers,

Muzz
AnswerID: 115161

Sponsored Links