Low lifes strike again

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 07:50
ThreadID: 23674 Views:3058 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
A friend has had their campertrailer, full of all their camping gear stolen, I've posted a few details, if you come across it in your travels, please let me know and I'll forward on any info

Stolen from Carvers Rd Oyster Bay between 8pm Tuesday 31/5/05 and 10:45am Wed 1/6/05
Camper details:
2002 All Terrain Off Road Camper
Trailer name “Gilly” (after Adam Gilchrist)
Rego P34988
14" tent with awning with a queen-sized bed on the top of the trailer
New Green canvas dust cover with Velcro all round
Newly sprayed
2 triangle shaped stone guards with green canvas surrounds and mesh centre secured by 1" black strap with 4 metal buckles on the bottom and a wing nut screwed into the body of the trailer at the top.
Has a toolbox in front as well as a 4kg gas bottle fitting
A 9kg gas bottle fitting on the Off Side
2 jerry can holders on the near side
2 doors in the front of the trailer on the near side and off side
a rear swinging door with a dark timber kitchen mounted on the inside of the door On top of the kitchen is a 3 burner green gas stove.
It is wired for 12volt with a double power access point just inside the rear door
A single power access point is mounted inside the tent on the bed
Chocka full of camping gear

Any help, much appreciated

Reward and beers for anyone finding much loved Gilly

Thanks
Sandy and Steve

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Vince NSW - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 08:23

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 08:23
Sandy & Steve sorry to hear about this. I will keep my eyes open.
To help the rest of us. How did your friend have the camper locked. I may have to up grade the way I lock mine.
Vince
AnswerID: 114855

Follow Up By: ctozer - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 21:00

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 21:00
Hi Vince, It is actually my camper that was taken. Steve and Sandy were kind enough to post the details for me. I have to say I am touched by the outrage shared by others. Beielve me, I ma not usually an excitable person, but if I meet whoever took Gilly 1 somewhere on the Strezlechi next month, there may be another SA crime stat.

Re the security, Gilly was chained up to a tree with a serious chain with my box trailer in the front of the house on the council strip. All the doors were also padlocked. The camper had a tregg coupling. That together with the chain, a dog and good street lighting and having lived there for years with no problems, I thought was more than enough. I had not been able to find an effective method of threading something through the tregg block on the trailer that connects to the hitch. I have since found from the manufacturer that there is some sort of device that costs something in the order of $170-$180. I have not seen it yet, but will be acquiring one. Gilly 2 will have that on him as well as a new home in a garage elsewhere when he arrives. The carport is also about to be fitted with 2 industrial strength bollards that will take a tank to get out of the ground. Gilly is well travelled having beed from Sydney, to esperance and back, the Flinders and more recently around OZ. We were planning a family holiday with another rented trailer in the July School holidays. Luckily, was able to get Gilly 2 just in time. I can find out more about the locking device in the next week or so if you are interested. Cathie
FollowupID: 370730

Reply By: Redback - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 08:41

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 08:41
Hey Guys bad news for your friends i'm going away this weekend so i'll keep an eye out, Howard is coming with us, as your camper is similar might make it easier to describe it to the rest of the guys and gals with us.

Hows the setting up of the car going too.

Take care
Baz.
AnswerID: 114857

Follow Up By: Member - Steve (ACT) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 08:47

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 08:47
Cargo drawers are built and installed, water system in, roof rack on, new tent,sleeping mats etc big job converting from camper to car, dvd system for the kids for the longer trips, new 40l Engel frige.

Now we just have to re-pioritise all our gear and leave our the non-essentials, and off to Bendethera this weekend to test it out.

I'll send some pics, you guys have a great weekend

Sandy and Steve
FollowupID: 370664

Follow Up By: Redback - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:00

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:00
Sounds good oh by the way where's my comission for pointing Howard in your direction ;-) lol.

Baz.
FollowupID: 370666

Follow Up By: Member - Steve (ACT) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 14:17

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 14:17
Steve and I were just discussing that last night, we will have to try and get along to one the camping trips you're on or you could bring the 4by down for a visit, and we'll fix you up then!!

Sandy
FollowupID: 370689

Reply By: Scubaroo - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:22

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:22
Bugger.

When I lived in Sydney it wasn't an uncommon site to see boat trailers parked out the front of houses with a private wheelclamp attached - pretty good disincentive for someone to try and knock the whoe thing off. Might be a good investment for anyone with an expensive camper.
AnswerID: 114863

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 13:46

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 13:46
Where do you buy them?
FollowupID: 370686

Follow Up By: flappa - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 14:25

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 14:25
http://www.wheelclamps.com.au/category51_1.htm

You can buy cheaper ones from places like Repco , but I dont think they fit anything bigger then a 15 inch wheel.

Wont fit my 16inch AT tyres thats for sure
FollowupID: 370690

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 13:50

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 13:50
Steve I have a huge dome tent I can lend them indefinately seeing as your are a Member here if that helps to ease the pain.

I haven't really got much else spare. Oh a little dome tent. Not tough outback stuff but good quality for its purpose.

Was it insured?

AnswerID: 114888

Follow Up By: ctozer - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 21:09

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 21:09
Hiya, thanks so much for th offe rof the tent. Gilly 2 will soon be arriving. Re insurance, yep insured, but the difference between value of old trailer (even though only 3-4 years old) and new replacement cost is not unsubstantial, togther with insurance, rego, stamp duty, replacement stff, etc etc. Bugger. I loved my trailer. Was not looking to get another. Just paid 1000 getting him a new dust cover, stone guards, painted, extra stuff fitted etc. He looked brand new and ready for his next big adventure. Just finished packing all the expensive stuff back in the trailer after having the work done including some stuff that had never been used for our upcoming trip in the school holidays. Poor Gilly was stolen not long after during the night on a night that I was working at home till 3am - how brazen! Thanks so much for the offer of the tent, but am committed camper and want to go around OZ again next year. Must have camping stuff back again or my sole will not be happy. Hope to see you on the trail someplace. kind regards Cathie
FollowupID: 370732

Reply By: flappa - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 14:04

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 14:04
I've just put a post up in the Yahoo Campertrailers group , and on Overlander forum
AnswerID: 114890

Reply By: Member - Steve (ACT) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 14:11

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 14:11
I believe they are organising a replacement trailer, but it's all the camping gear in the trailer that they can't replace.

You guys would all know what it's like you spend years collect bits it a pain in the arse to have to replace it all.

Sandy & Steve

AnswerID: 114894

Follow Up By: flappa - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 14:13

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 14:13
I was just thinking about this , this morning.

I remember reading a thread a week ago about this missing trailer , and tried to find the thread.
FollowupID: 370688

Sponsored Links