Buchanan Hwy in an X Trail

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 08:31
ThreadID: 23709 Views:1687 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We're travelling North to the Kimberleys from Melbourne. Is the turn off onto the Buchanan Hwy north of Dunmarra to Timber Creek a good way to go? (been to Katharine on another trip). I see on the map that there is also an option of heading North from Top Springs to join the Victoria Hwy. Any ideas please?
Also how much spare fuel should we take?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tildo - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 14:29

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 14:29
hi jonjan.....travelled that way a cpl years ago ,all roads were in good nic, dirt from dunmarra to hwy through jaspergorge{nice camp spot}.Sealed from top springs to hwy along Buntine hwy,.....all the way i think.My opion take the dirt. Road trhough kalkarindji [wave hill] is good road as well.....dirt from wave hill, but good dirt,[nice campsite at sawpit gorge this side halls creek....as for fuel.....just top up at top springs.or wave hill....exy......and you will be ok
AnswerID: 115071

Follow Up By: beachbum - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:47

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:47
Hi there Jonjan and was talking to a mate last night about the Buchanan. he came through there last week from Kununurra and it has just been graded and therefore is in good nick. He said that there was some loose gravel around Victoria River Downs that was a bit tricky. No problems with fuel as already mentioned and Top Springs is a good spot to pitch your swag and relax. we came through there from Halls Creek last year on the Duncan Hwy then the Buntine and onto the Buchanan at Top Springs and it was a really easy and pleasant run.
great country up that way and don't miss sawpit gorge or Old Halls Creek.
FollowupID: 370962

Reply By: TASPAJ - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 15:50

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 15:50
You won't have any troble in a xtrail on those roads.
AnswerID: 115076

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 17:27

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 17:27
Yeah it' a piece of -iss on that road for an X trail.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 370848

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 20:28

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 20:28
JJ,

Did that road in a holden ute, over 30 years ago. You'll have no trouble. Was called the Murranji Track back then, before it went up market.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 115117

Sponsored Links