Coral Bay to Yulara (2)

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 01:23
ThreadID: 23791 Views:1558 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, all,

We are planing to drive from Coral bay to Yulara via the Gunbarrel Highway next August.

We have two choices from Coral Bay to Meekatharra:

- Either heading North on the north west coastal highway, then Mt Augustus, Meeka.
- Or heading south to Carnavon, then Gascoyne Junction and Meeka.

Does anybody know these roads?? How difficult are they ?? which is the most interesting ?? Are there reasonable campsites.

Concerning Gunbarrel (Wiluna to Giles, then GCR to Yulara), how many days should be allowed ?

In case somebody would be on these roads at the time we travel, would be happy to team up (we plan to leave Coral Bay on August 11th).

Cheers.

Eric + Cathy

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan-Pilbara - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 12:54

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 12:54
Eric

On the Gunbarrel it took us 3 and a half days from Wiluna to Warburton. About 180k's east of Carnegie is where the tack turns badly corrigated. One day we only did 90km. On some days we didn't get out of 2nd gear and that was at idle. It is great country but be prepared to be patient. If you see on the map saying that there is water at Geraldton bore, well that is true but there is no pump.

As far as the Gascoyne my oldies travelled through in a 2wd hiace can so I can't imagine it being too difficult. They went through both ways you have mentioned.

Allan
AnswerID: 115439

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 20:47

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 20:47
The road from Carnarvon, through Meekatharra, Wiluna, to Carnegie is like a big dirt freeway. After that it (the GBH) takes a severe turn for the worse and is one of the most corrugated roads in Oz. Based on 1998 experience. I'd go via Mt Augustus merely to see it.
AnswerID: 115588

Sponsored Links