Storage Bins on Roof Racks.

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 09:39
ThreadID: 23842 Views:2293 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My Brother is going up the Gibb River road in August and is looking at using a storage bin on a roof rack on his 100 series cruiser. Has anyone had any experiance with using these and will they take the punishment?

Graham P
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bev - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 15:02

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 15:02
We used some thick square red plastic ones and made atin lid for them they held our toilet in one and spares oil ect in the other They were thicker than the normal bin
We still have one and it has done most long off road trips canning gib cape york simpson anne beadell gunbarrel 2wce

We are going to use a better quality bin than kmart ones thicker this trip across the madigan and the old red faithful

Another tip if you drink beer an army box with lid will hold 48 cans 2 across and 24 in a row Separate with the cardboard that goes between wine wine bottles cut short to fit Never had aleaky one .

Bev
AnswerID: 115718

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 15:07

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 15:07
Now this is useful packing information!!

"Another tip if you drink beer an army box with lid will hold 48 cans 2 across and 24 in a row Separate with the cardboard that goes between wine wine bottles cut short to fit Never had aleaky one"

Wouldn't surprise me if hidden in the design of these tins was this clever feature!
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 371324

Reply By: Bitsumishin - Mike (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 21:02

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 21:02
Yep, we drove all round the Kimberley including GRR with one of those plastic coffins on the roof & found it terrific. No dust or water got in at all but I did have to tighten the roofrack mounting nuts about twice each day. The U bolts that the coffin was attached with stayed firm the entire journey from memory. Highly recommended.
AnswerID: 115774

Reply By: richard p - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 00:40

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 00:40
I have been using a Thule roof box for years now and I have never had a problem. Its waterproof, dustproof, lockable and relatively aerodynamic for travelling. It carries the bulky stuff like tent and poles, sleeping bags, clothes bags plus table, chairs etc. - highly recommended

Richard P
AnswerID: 116099

Reply By: Member - Graham P (QLD) - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 08:59

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 08:59
Thankyou to all who replied, I think we now have something to work with.
I seem to have posted the thread twice - I couldn't find the first one and put it on again - I thought I had stuffed up the post, which didn't surprise me.

Graham P
AnswerID: 116114

Sponsored Links