GPS & Mac laptop?

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 14:21
ThreadID: 23964 Views:2835 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone,

We're planning a trip from Perth to Kununurra mid August (over 4 or 5 weeks) and I would like to purchase navigation equipment to fit into our 100 series Landcruiser. We will be towing a Kimberley Kamper and intend to explore off road much of the time.

I have a Powerbook G4 Apple Mac Laptop and would like advise on what products to buy that will be compatible. Mapping CD's I notice appear to be windows based. Does this apply to GPS hardware also???

I'm also asking for the "perfect" camping spot along the Ord River or Lake Argyle or Bungle Bungles. No facilities required. This will be our first trip to the Kimberleys by 4WD (we are meeting up with friends in Kununurra and hope to spend 10 days in the area) and any advice will be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 14:32

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 14:32
As a fellow Mac owner, I have also posted about this dilemma.

I have come to the following conclusion.........

Mac owners KNOW where they are, in life, and on the planet......... sort of seems superfluous now, don't you think?

Cheers

Wolf who loves Macca's & Macs.
AnswerID: 116244

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 14:36

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 14:36
And Wintel owners don't care where the Mac owners are!

Ah! ain't life good Ian?
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 371803

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 18:34

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 18:34
Aren't Apple learning to use Intel now for speed, price and compatibility, so their computers can learn to talk Windows too? Then you can use the mapping software ............
AnswerID: 116266

Reply By: viz - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 22:35

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 22:35
Apparantly Apple have been using Intel for some some now.

I think that if you want to use mapping software from say garmin you will need to install an emulator, and even that is no guarantee that it will work. There is mapping software around for Mac - I have seen it, but it may not be compatable with the GPS software. You may also need a USB to Serial interface for the GPS and Keystone is the only one that works on a Mac - $100 a pop in Oz.

Search on the mac forums - I am quite sure that there will be an answer for you. I have a Mac G5 and will never go back to PC (have a PC on the home network as well). For everything that I need that is available on Windoze is available for mac - including MS Office

/viz
(who has just installed Tiger and getting into Widgets... :)
AnswerID: 116300

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 22:40

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 22:40
"(who has just installed Tiger and getting into Widgets... :)" .... which, we might add, for the non Mac users, is NOT a typo, he's not getting in Midgets....

Cheers

Wolfie
FollowupID: 371849

Reply By: viz - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 22:56

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 22:56
LOL :)

Better not let my wife see that - our whole family is 6' or over and she is 5' - the family get together photos are quite comical...

Got weather radar and local forcast set up as Widgets - very very cool...

/viz
AnswerID: 116302

Reply By: murrays run - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 22:56

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 22:56
hi,

There are a couple of solutions available. One option is http://www.macgpspro.com/
This software allows you to use maps in the following formats: Most raster maps will work with MacGPS Pro: GeoTIFF, TIFF (TIF), JPEG (JPG), GIF, PNG, PICT, BMP, Photoshop (PSD), SGI, TGA, PDF in OS X, and for Nautical Charts - NOS and BSB 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

GPSOZ, one of the advertisers associated with this site can give you more information.

This software works with the majority of GPS makes, you can also go bluetooth or the smaller USB based reciever only units.

There are a number of other solutions available, a quick google search will provide lots of links.

cheers

AnswerID: 116303

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 10:35

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 10:35
Thanks murrays run that info..We own/run 10 PCs in our biz incl Raid server but for my own use I prefer the Macs..I have/use iBook,G-3 B&W,iMac I got s/h for $350 and a G-5 dual with 2 x 250gb HDDs for my video Photoshop CS work/play oh yeah,and like the Queen mother,of course,an iPod 20gb with 2,600 tunes on it so far.I wish my oldest ones would blow up so I can ditch them.Oldest is 9yrs a 7300 I think it was called.Not OSX so don't use it now..Using iSync on all machines so all addresses,contacts,ph nos are updated auto Mac to Mac,in the background..Top stuff..Used to have different info ea.machine..That option www.macgpspro.com/ is the go..Thanks RockyOne ( Palm PDA's work well on Macs )
FollowupID: 371864

Reply By: Speak - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 12:15

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 12:15
Thanks very much for your replies. I've had a quick look at MacGPS and have a better understanding of what I might need. I'm a complete novice regarding GPS navigation.

One more question arises if I purchase a non display receiver and use my Mac laptop. How do I recharge my laptop batteries in the middle of nowhere? Is there a way I can run my laptop from the car batteries via say the cigarette lighter? I know you can run/charge computers from certain generators which have surge control (another expense) but I'd like to avoid forking out more money if there is a cheaper, alternative method.

I certainly don't want to go so high tech that I'm spending all my time fiddling with computers when I should be looking and experiencing the wilderness, but a little security in knowing where I am will be lost if my Mac batteries die....

Any thoughts?
AnswerID: 116360

Follow Up By: murrays run - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 18:53

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 18:53
Hi,

You can easily run the mac form an inverter. Depending on the model of PowerBook you are using the power adaptor will require up to 65watts. There is also the option of a 12 volt adaptor, Targus is one of the brands, they can be more expensive than a decent 100 - 150 watt invertor though.

Cheers,

Brendan
FollowupID: 371908

Reply By: Speak - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 20:58

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 20:58
Thanks Brendan,

I have found a specific car power adapter for my G4 laptop made by Kensington. So that'll solve the power problem. I guess if I purchase a non display USB (and get it powered by the laptop) receiver and software MacGPSpro, I THINK that's all I should need apart from some decent maps of the Kimberleys.

This task was quite daunting 2 days ago. Now, with the help of the forum, I feel I've come to a good solution. So thanks again!

Cheers

Maggie
AnswerID: 116429

Reply By: Niko - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 14:28

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 14:28
This web site sells MAC compatible GPS, the GlobalSat Bluetooth series and the GlobalSat USB mouse (BU-303).
AnswerID: 116541

Reply By: Niko - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 14:39

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 14:39
I forgot to mention, you don't need to buy the USB adapter from Keyspan USA, Exploroz sells the same cable adapter here in Australia and is suited for all OS including MAC (8.6,9.0,9.1) It also works with WIN98, 98SE, 2000 & XP
AnswerID: 116544

Sponsored Links