Roofracks

Submitted: Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2400 Views:1422 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Looking for a roofrack for a GQ patrol & thinking of either ARB Delux or a rhino rack
Anyone with any suggestions, experiences or recomendations , comments appreciated,
regards Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00
All roof racks suck and disgusting amount of fuel. Depending on what your needs or requirements are, a trailer can often be a substantially cheaper and better option. It is usual for a roof rack to suck 1 to 4 km's a litre off your current fuel consumption. Pretty horrific, but fact.
AnswerID: 8669

Reply By: voxson - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Pete, If you have a Patrol in nice condition without scratches in the roof it would be wise to look at buying an alloy rack. I say this from experience because the steel racks weigh about 60kgs and it is an a/hole of a job to put it on top and line it up without suffering scratches. Awkward even for two people. I have found it to be a three man job, ( and you have to find the two others that give a rats about the condition of your car or your paintjob starts going downhill )...

And for whoever is going to give me heaps about the fact that 4x4's are to go offroad with and are bound to get scratches and blah blah blah,, which i hear all the time ,,, ( from the people who couldnt look after something if their life depended on it ),,, here is 40 cents.... Tell someone else instead..

I hope this helps Pete.....
AnswerID: 8678

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

LOL!
FollowupID: 4232

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

I have make that HAD an ARB one on my Diesel 4.2 Turbo GQ LWB. Its in the shed for now, until I can work out how to make it useable.

It sucks the fuel to the point where a Long range tank is not an option but a MUST... It also stops the truck, making it feel worse than mums 62, Morris, and getting much over 110 or it takes all day! Not joking. I had it on for 3 weeks trialling it going from home to work down the freeway..

They damage your gutters making the car look like crap too. Heard stories of roofracks causing gutter failure in the desert, one was in a magazine on a Feroza if I remember, and having to leave roofrack and stuff behind as nowhere to store it.. Could be fiction not sure...

If you are after an excellent Alloy one, go one that suits your car, and needs.. Andrew Williams, a guy in Patrol and Pajero Clubs in Victoria makes them... They have been tested to the Cape, one has lasted 6 trips and not cracked at all...

Give him a call, Andrew Williams.
Fcty 13/ 27 Aster Ave
Carrum Downs 3201
(03) 9775 0558

Ask him about his nice new Magellan meridian I got from States for him ;) Saving him $400!
AnswerID: 8683

Follow Up By: Andrew O - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00
I concur with Truckster here. In setting up a vehicle for touring, there are many decisions on equipment to make. I rate my decision to purchase the roof rack from Andrew as the best one. Andrew produces a truly quality piece of equipment, at what I thought was a moderate price. This roof rack even impressed the hell out of my father-in-law, who is a German engineer. I look at other roof racks around, and quite simply they do not compare. I live in Sydney, but made the effort to visit him in Melbourne (was there on business), then Andrew helped me get it shipped to Sydney. In summary ... highly recommended.
Cheers Andrew O.
FollowupID: 4245

Sponsored Links