Warraweena week

Submitted: Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 11:00
ThreadID: 24017 Views:1614 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Just a quick update for anyone who is wanting to go to Warraweena in the Northern Flinders. Spent a week up there last week and had a great time. Excellent 4wd'ing. Low range used heaps and it was quite a novelty to get into third gear for the week!

Did two trips - Cockatoo Dunbar Loop and the Old Coach Rd and also did lots of driving around the station itself. A couple of 'well known' spots like "suicide track" was also done. Not as bad as it sounds though but the missus was still scared!

Low Range was used a fair bit on the trips (get in and out of creek crossing's and whilst driving down creek beds etc). The above two drives have a small fee attached as you need to drive onto other stations so I guess a bit of money goes towards maintaining of roads. Walking is excellent (walked from the old Homestead to Mt Gill which was just over an hour) and also did a walk from Donolans campsite.
Having the ability to read a map and compass is essential though as there are no walking tracks and all the chance of getting lost if very high if you can't use a map!

The other great thing about this place is that you have the whole campsite to yourself. Once you have booked the site no-one else is booked for that site. Stony (station manager) is a wealth of information also and a great help.

Anyway bottom line is that if you have to opportunity I thoroughly recommened spending a week up there.

The car (2.8td GQ patrol) excelled itself. Got a few creaks in it now but it was a tough week on it and in the past 12 months has done alot of 4wding. Fuel consumption was brilliant. Took 4 jerry cans but will only take two next time (no fuel available close by). This small engine may lack some grunt of the bigger cars but I still not found a place it won't go and the economy is great making a driving holiday still cheap even with the way the price of fuel is these days.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 14:17

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 14:17
SSSHHHHH

For goodness sake, please keep quiet. Posts like this will only spoil it for us greedy buggers.

Actually, it is all Willem's fault with that original thread a cupla years ago.....LOL.

Who wants mud & slush (a.k.a. the Eastern States) when you can have this heaven on earth?

Cheers
AnswerID: 116538

Reply By: Gossy - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 14:28

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 14:28
had a good talk with Stonie whilst I was up there. I said that one of the main attractions is that they don't pack it out and have heaps of campers at each spot. 1 lot of campers for 1 camp spot will always guarantee it stays quiet. Stonie agrees that this is part of the attraction of the place so that will never change.

Only 1 lot of drivers (be it 1 person or 1 group) is allowed on any of the paid drives as well so once you have the key the 5-7hr track is all yours also!
AnswerID: 116540

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 21:37

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 21:37
Glad to hear you had a good time there. Stony and Gina go out of their way to make your stay pleasant.

Will be calling in at Warraweena on the way home from Birdsville next month.

No doubt you would have seen the old G60 Nissan standing in the shed. Used to be my famous 'Rosie'
AnswerID: 116621

Sponsored Links