Shocks Problem

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 07:20
ThreadID: 24073 Views:1782 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have a little problem and I need some advice. Yesterday when I changed my braked I got a little surprise and found my right front shock is totally loose and I can move it around with my hand up and down left and right, there is about a 2cm play. I can’t even tighten it, if I try turning then the whole shock just turn with it even when I am holding it. I don’t know enough about this to know why this happened. I have not been 4x4 for about 2 months and last week I noticed a knocking noise when I brake or take off and I would assume that’s the shockie moving when it’s not supposed to.

The brand is Rancho and after reading all the bad comments about everyone on here should I just get 2 new front shocks or just replace the broken one? If I can buy just one?

How long can I drive around with the busted shock? I have a camping trip planned this weekend up the beach can I go without fixing it or should I do it ASAP? The other problem I have is that I am moving overseas for 6 months in about 3 weeks and when I get back I want to put in a 4 inch lift and then I will have to replace all the shocks anyway, so if I don’t have to replace it ASAP then it will save me buying a shock now and do it all when I get back

Thanks in advance…
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vitara - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 07:35

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 07:35
Hi Troll 81, not sure what to do in your predicament (hope spelt wright) but I would imagine that your braking would be affected also it would be skipping around a bit on the road,someone else will reply with more knowledge about this, But another thing to remember is about insurance if by any chance that you have a dingle (smash, god forbid) if an insurance company can find a reason for not paying they will maybe a stuffed shocki is a good enough reason ?? Technically car/4wd should be road worthy, hope someone else can help you a bit more . Take Care Vitara
AnswerID: 116834

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 07:43

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 07:43
Yea that's why I changed my brake pads I noticed braking was a bit strange when I hit the brakes hard the card will move to one side a bit....very frustrating for this to happen now
AnswerID: 116837

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 07:57

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 07:57
Why don't you do a ring around a couple of wrecking yards you may be able to get one in good working order to see you through .
Cheers Boroma604.
AnswerID: 116839

Reply By: bundyman - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 08:00

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 08:00
Troll,

If your going to put a lift in soon, then I would just buy a set of Monroe shockers for the front (probably set ya back $150/pair). They will be more than good enough for the small amount of usage you'll get before the lift goes in.

Your problem could also just be that the top and bottom shocky rubbers are flogged out and need replacing. This will be an even cheaper option. Would need to pull shock off and test it though. Just compress by hand and release. If OK they shock should be of the same firm resistance during the whole stroke while compressing and the same slow return. If "stop start" travel then replace.

Cheers,
Hughesy
AnswerID: 116841

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 08:12

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 08:12
Very good point now that I think back I do remember the rubbers looking a bit worn out...will see if I can get it down the shop today so the pros can check it out
FollowupID: 372299

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 08:50

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 08:50
Just got off the phone to the suspension place and I am going there soon the guy thinks it's prob just the rubbers and it's a easy fix and should be able to do it right there and then....lets hope anyway. Well let you guys know the outcome
AnswerID: 116848

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 09:35

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 09:35
Hi Troll, sounds as tho you would benefit greatly from a 4wd driver training course. You will be taught the basics of vehicle maintenance and preparation. A 4 inch lift will make your vehicle much less stable on the road and your actual ground clearance ie clearnce of diffs, remains the same. Make sure your shock is repaired or replaced asap. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 116853

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 09:41

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 09:41
Your right Rob I do want to do a course like that been meaning to do one for ages to get the repairs basics under controll...will do one when I get back from the states
FollowupID: 372311

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 14:54

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 14:54
Got the car back only cost me $65 and I just needed new rubbers so it's all good again now....very big relieve though
AnswerID: 116898

Follow Up By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 18:37

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 18:37
G'day Troll,

Glad you solved your shocky problem, just got on and read your post.
I have a few standard shocks in the shed you could have used that would've gotten you out of trouble, keep it in mind if you have any more probs in the future.
Also read you're going to the states, I am still working on getting a 6.5 rear mount turbo for mine, if it's not imposing too much you may be able to help me with some info on availablity, cost etc. Have a guy chasing one there now but am not dealing with him directly, nor do I know him personally. Would be nice to get some info from someone on the spot I know I could trust. Transport, shipping and packing I can get arranged. If you could help, member msg me and I will send my ph. no.

Avagoodn
Pezza
FollowupID: 372436

Sponsored Links