4 Wheel Drive Victoria Traning Course?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 08:27
ThreadID: 24074 Views:4975 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

I'm considering doing 4 Wheel Drive Victoria's "Proficiency" Course which is a 1 evening Theory & 1 Day Pracital course designed for beginners (http://www.fwdvictoria.org.au/drivertraining3%20prof.htm) & was wondering if anyone had any experience with this particular course?

Regards
Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 08:41

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 08:41
I haven't. Sorry, can't help.
AnswerID: 116846

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 09:11

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 09:11
Greg, possibly one of the best 4wd decions you'll ever make is to do a course. When I started out there weren't any. I had to learn by making my own mistakes. After 30 years 4wding there is still a lot I could learn. Experience is great, but a wise man learns from the experience of others :))))))
AnswerID: 116849

Reply By: marcus - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 10:32

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 10:32
Hi Gregster,
This is the course run by many of the four wheel drive clubs and gives people a better understanding of how to avoid getting into trouble and if in trouble how to best recover themselves out via the correct procedures.You will learn on theory night about various drive lines,vehicle set ups etc and in practise (in the bush)correct gears for ascending and descent and much practise of stall / stop techniques.This will be followed by learning about all the recovery gear and how to use it.There isn't much point having a 4x4 if you don't know how to use it safely.
Cheers Mark
AnswerID: 116859

Reply By: Mal58 - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 10:53

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 10:53
Gregster,
I did this course about 4 years ago. While I have nothing to compare it with as I have not done any other 4wd courses, I have done a lot of reading and gained experience by doing many 4wd treks.

If you haven't done a course before and you are not considering joining a 4wd club (where they do training), then I would say that it is worthwhile course to do.

The wife, the kids and I had a lot of fun on the pratical day, and it certainly showed us what the 4wd is capable of and what care etc you should take when 4wd'ing.

I personaly would recommend it.

Cheers,
Mal58
AnswerID: 116864

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 19:31

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 19:31
Hi Greg, the best think you can do for yourself & family if you want to get the best out of 4WDing is to do a driver training course of some kind, so you are off to a good start by thinking about it.

There are a few options for training.

1 Professional driver training Companies, ( I think they are expensive ).

2 The fwdvictoria association course would be good as it is done by experienced club people . (reasonable price)

3 Join a club -- joining fee & annual membership would be less than you would pay for any driving course, some clubs run there own driving course, or you could do the "fwdvic" course a lot cheaper as a club member, in a club enviroment the learning experience is on going as you will learn something new every time you do a trip with a group of people, which is great if you enjoy other peoples company, not so good if you like to trip alone which lots of folk do.

Cheers
AnswerID: 116944

Reply By: the doc - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 21:34

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 21:34
Hi Greg myself and a few mates done a 4wd course with Websters 4wd training in melb not that long ago it was one of the best days out that i have had and learnt heaps well worth the money i think anyway we found there info on here

the doc
AnswerID: 116965

Reply By: Darryn - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 14:35

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 14:35
Hi Greg, If you are after 4WD training and have some time to spare why not join your local VICSES unit. 4WD training with SES is free and very comprehensive. Just look up your local unit an front up at their next training night.
Regd's Darryn
AnswerID: 117061

Reply By: GazzaS (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 17:26

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 17:26
Hi Gregster

We joined the Toyota Land Cruiser Club with this as the primary reason. They have an excellent course - 1 night tehory and then one weekend course, incuding a night drive exercise. They have a property just north of Melbourne where the practical stuff is done.

They also run a number o ftrips through the club (not that we have been on any yet but plan too).

PS you do not have to have a Toyota to join!

Cheers
AnswerID: 117429

Sponsored Links