Travelling through the Blue Mountains and the Megalong Valley

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2409 Views:2071 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I'm planning on doing a trek through the Megalong Valley and other areas of the Blue Mountains, and have bought all the required topo maps. I have a question however, on the gates that I see, which are plentiful in number on 4WD access tracks. It seems that there are plenty of really good 4WD roads out there, and it also seems that most of them are not accessible because of gates which are marked "locked". I'll assume this is correct and the reason they're locked is because they're on private land, water board land, electrical authority land, or similar. The other gates, though, are what? Entries into private properties which should be avoided, or is it a case of it's OK to go through as long as you leave the gate as you found it?

For example, I see that the road to the Cox's River camping area has both "locked" gates and unlocked gates marked on it, with the section having the unlocked type being a workaround for the bit which has the locked ones.

I've read up on the "as you found it" rule but as this is the first time I'm considering going through any area with gates in it (I'm still a newbie), I thought I'd ask here first.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00
Sadly you will find most are locked now specially with the fire season on us. They are trying to keep people from gettin stuck in the bush if its on fire... Well thats what mate who lives up there was saying.

Lots of them are NPWS and fire trails....

Magic area up thru the mtns, had our honeymoon up that way went from Sydney thru the mtns to bathurst, out to mudgee and back to the mtns and home. 2 weeks...

Not long enough!
AnswerID: 8714

Reply By: Slunnie - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

AKAIK the Blue Mountains NP is closed. I really think the NPWS are happy if nobody goes in there, unless they have specifically set the site up as a tourist attraction. Even the camping areas are shut!

Along the Megalong Valley the only place that is open is the 6ft track and the Valley Rd itself. The outdoor operators in the area, and so they tell me the local business's, are really suffering while the parks are closed due to fire damage.

You may find some areas worth looking at over the other side in the zig-zag, newnes, bullen areas which are away from the tourist, main thoroughfare areas

Regards
Slunnie
AnswerID: 8719

Follow Up By: Plexus - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks for the updates. I want to take some mates with their suburban warrior vehicles (you know, the ones who use them for city driving and whose idea of doing it rough is not washing the car for three weeks) on a scenic trek which would perhaps have some shallow water crossings, and some nice picnic lunch type places, so I'll look at the maps again and see if there's anything on offer. I'd take them to the Glow Worm tunnel, but the corrugations would make them change their undies, so we won't go there. What I'd really like to do is map out a trek in the Megalong which included a crossing of the Cox's or something similar.
FollowupID: 4257

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

Plexus, I can't help you much more about the Megalong, but there is more to the zig-zag area than just the suburban hack roads. Just look under the power lines and to the other side tracks. I'm not sure if its opened again but there is also the spanish steps. Good luck in your search.

Regards
Slunnie
FollowupID: 4261

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

Can you still do the Lost City out the back of the Zig Zag for people in Sydney???

If your in sydney you could contact the boys on the sydney list, they would be able to help you more with whats open and whats not.

4wdsydney
AnswerID: 8724

Follow Up By: Plexus - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

I'll look these up. It's a real shame about the Bllue Mountains... I can imagine what it must be like.
FollowupID: 4263

Follow Up By: Truckster - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

Jenolan Caves

Something to look at is Jenolan Caves. Plan to spend a FULL day here at least.

Just dont stay there, its a expensive dump.
FollowupID: 4265

Follow Up By: Steve L - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00
Truckster,

Lost City was closed off several months ago. You can still drive to the end of the easy road, but when the fun used to begin (the last few hundred metres) State Forests have put a row of huge boulders and a 'closed' sign across the track - so now you have to park and walk down (and back). A standard 2WD sedan can get to the closed section if I remember correctly!

Steve.
FollowupID: 4269

Sponsored Links