Installing a Twine

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2435 Views:1404 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am up to installing my "twine", I have done all the fresh water hoses but I have not done the coolant lines yet. Is there a secret/simple way of doing it without having to replace all your coolant? I was told to be careful not to get airlock, is there an easy way to do this?
Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00
Coolant isnt that expensive, and never hurts to refresh it... Most of its the same, bottled in Horsley Park Sydney... I used to deliver tankerloads from ICI in Botany to there! they only have 1 Vat, and around 5-8 different brands of bottles and boxes come out of there...

Just dump it out, and fill it, run the engine with the rad cap off, and refill as needed....

AnswerID: 8862

Reply By: OziExplorer - Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00
You should be changing your coolant every 18 months maximum as it goes acidic like vinegar.
Make sure you use a main line brand like Mobil, Shell etc that is concentrate, and then mix to the correct ratio with de-ionised water from the supermarket.

You should change ALL the fluids in a vehicle between 12 and 18 months, and preferably no later than 15 months. Cheapest maintainence you will do and saves a lot of money in the long term.

Just brake bleed all four wheels and see what gunk comes out of the brake system, and you will see why it is such a good idea to change ALL fluids in a vehicle.
AnswerID: 8864

Reply By: Ian KimberleyCruiser - Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00
Tim,

When I installed a Glind shower in my 80 series Cruiser, I tapped into the coolant line up next to the valve on the firewall that is controlled by the interior heater control. I didn't have to cut any hoses. I just changed the direction of the elbow and put in a connector. Because it was at a high point in the system, about the same hight as the top of the radiator, I lost virtually no coolant. If you keep at least part of the connected hose higher than the rest of the plumbing the coolant won't flow out. Then there's the old "Boy and the dyke" method, stick your, or an assistants thumb over the end. This works best when the coolant isn't boiling hot obviously.

Cheers,
Ian

P.S. I highly recommend those pop-up shower/change tents that fold up into an almost flast circular bag. About $100, but great value. 5 seconds to set up or take down.
AnswerID: 8902

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00

In our group nobody has a shower tent, everybody just gets off their gear and showers. Newbies are always a bit hesitant, but after the first trip they would not have it any other way. After all, everybody has the same dangly bits and pieces, just different shapes and sizes.
FollowupID: 4419

Follow Up By: Ian Kimberleycruiser - Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00

Yeah, that's alright camping with friends, butsome people get a bit upperty when you dangle you dangly bits in front of them. My wife likes the privacy.

Cheers,
Ian
FollowupID: 4425

Follow Up By: Damien - Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00
Oziexplorer, i think i need to join your group!!!
FollowupID: 4437

Sponsored Links