Alarm activator button broken - HELP ?

Submitted: Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 13:05
ThreadID: 24419 Views:1644 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
HI there - need help with the little button you get with your imobiliser / alarm ( the one you put on your keyring ) Mine broke of a few weeks ago , and i have been keeping it in my pocket and using it that way to gain entry into vehicle, anyway - weekend wash day -- and i forgot to take it out - Now it has shorted out !!

can not find any brand names on either the button or the installed componants on the car (toyota sr5- but looks after market )

it is still functioning - but the light always stays on now - draining the battery --

My question - is there a place you can buy a generic one that can be programed to the same frequencys ?

I am in the sydney area ( western sydney ) any help will be apreciated

jaycar perhaps ?

Frank
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BenSpoon - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 13:12

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 13:12
Head to a car stereo mob or someone that deals with alot of alarms. They may be able to identify the unit from the remote, or by the brain box. From here you may be able to get cheaper additional units. Failing that, if you dont have any of your old alarm's specs, you may be up for the cost of a new alarm...... At least all the wiring is already inplace to save you a bit of cash. This option may even work out cheaper depending on how many remotes you want programmed up.
AnswerID: 118755

Reply By: vitara - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 13:36

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 13:36
Hi Boc1971, my mate works for premier tint they have a fairly wide rande of alarms. As BenSpoon said way up the options of how many remotes you want programmed and the cost of each to the cost of a new alarm. Depening on the model of sr5 they did come out with a factory central locking system but this was activated by the key not a remote so yours is definately an after market type. But as Benspoon said just call into a car hi fi/ alarms eg strathfield car radios (not that I would buy a thing off them clowns my own bad experience while ago never been back) Does it have an overide key so that you can turn the system off under the bonnett if it has a back up battery key slot should be on top of the siren.At least until you get it fixed will still be able to open the door with your key . WARNING your alarm won't be triggered if someone breaks into it and you have turned it off under the bonnet Take Care Vitara
AnswerID: 118762

Follow Up By: vitara - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 13:40

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 13:40
Forgot to mention I live in the western suburbs My Mate does work on the side contact me by email if you want to organize something he lives in windsor I'm in penrith Vitara
FollowupID: 373941

Reply By: Skinny- Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 13:38

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 13:38
Hi Frank, an expensive solution is to go to Tandy or TRIcky Dickie and they sell "learning remotes" Try it in the shop. You just point your old remote at the new one and hold the button andit copies the code.

I suggest if you need more than one it would be cheaper to have a auotelec to fit a new one and be doen withit .

The learning ones are about $50-60 bucks

Skinny
AnswerID: 118763

Reply By: techie - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 20:03

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 20:03
Might want to leave it out in the winter sun for a few hours and let it warm up (evaporate the moisture inside).
The Led stays on because of leakage between tracks turning the LED on.
If you wish I can look at it - I live Nth Shore (chatswood). Pack a picnic lunch and passport and visit the westies for a bit of excitement.
Donk

AnswerID: 118828

Sponsored Links