canvas canopie

Submitted: Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 21:12
ThreadID: 24437 Views:1632 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
evenon' all. nearly have myself a new (well second hand) GU ute. just gotta pick it up. i'd like to put a canvas canopie on and i'm shopping around a bit. anybody have any ideas of design and where to get them / how much. i've looked at one at blueys ute world is there any other ideas out there?

p.s. i hope that link works or i'll look stoopid
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hilux bert - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 21:14

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 21:14
hooray it did work!

oh and the name will change when i move into the new truck.
AnswerID: 118838

Reply By: Haza - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 21:28

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 21:28
There are heaps, What town are you in?
AnswerID: 118844

Follow Up By: hilux bert - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 21:41

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 21:41
sydney, in the north. otherwise known as the better side of hell
FollowupID: 374013

Reply By: bundyman - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 08:02

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 08:02
Bert,

I made the canopy for my cruiser ute. It has a sheet metal roof for carrying the tinnie but canvas sides. If you don't want to make one just go and get some quotes from fabrication places to build one. They shouldn't cost anymore than $1000 bucks if your keeping it simple. Then take it to a reputable canvas place and get them to quote for doing the canvas. Couple of pointers. Ensure the frame has gusseted corners (corrigations trash them). Ensure the canopy frame is somehow attached to the headboard of the tray to further reduce movement. Ensure you have vent flaps sewed into the canvas at the front to allow you to pressurize the canopy and keep the majority of dust out. Ask to look at some previous canvas made canopies as there are alot of good and bad ways of making them. Get together all the good ideas and then go and tell the canvas bloke what you want. Oh and the most important - only use "Ripstop" canvas, it is dearer but the only way to go. The cost to make my custom canvas was $680.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Hughesy
AnswerID: 118901

Follow Up By: hilux bert - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 08:47

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 08:47
does your canopy have any lockability or just canvas. i've seen some with a sort of cage system inside.

i should also mention that the tray has ladder racks so one idea was to simply have one built over that. but i'd worry about the top being too flat.
i wannt it to be removable
FollowupID: 374048

Follow Up By: bundyman - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:47

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:47
Yeah if your going to have a canvas roof then you will need some slope on it or the water will pool. You could simple have a sub frame made that fits over the top of the ladder racks to which the canvas goes over. My hole canopy comes off the ute by undoing 6 bolts. 15 minute job, but I'll probably never take it off.

As for security. My next project will be to buy some second hand household security screen doors. Then pull them apart and cut them down to size to fit the 3 sides. Then mount them with gas struts and locks for the side gates. I was going to weld up my own security screens with RHS and some mesh but the aluminium screen doors will be cheaper and LIGHTER.

FollowupID: 374064

Sponsored Links