Maiden Voyage

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 01:54
ThreadID: 24442 Views:2003 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Sitting on the verandah having coffee I made an executive decision & informed Slack Attack (aka husband) he has 5 weeks to get organised because we're going on holiday........ that was 2 weeks ago & I haven't seen him since! If anyone sees a whilte FreightLiner with a bulls head on the scoop & Slack Attack on the bug deflector can you let him know I've got the gear almost packed. I or possibly we, are off on our first trip in the Patrol 3.0L TD from Biggenden, Mt Isa, Alice Springs, Normanton, Atherton & work our way back down to Biggenden.
It's been a while since I've done some serious 4 wheel driving, 1988 in fact, so I'll be breaking myself in between Biggenden & Mt Isa. What I'd like to know is some info on the Plenty Highway between Mt Isa & Alice Springs. Info such as the condition of the road/track & is it maintained? I'd like to go from Mt Isa to Alice Springs (Finke Gorge/Palm Valley) & then head north to Tennant Ck. Or should I play it safe & go Mt Isa, 3 Ways & down to Alice then backtrack up again? We're swags & tenting it this trip so no worries about dragging a camper over the track.

Jools
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: peterll - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 07:55

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 07:55
Jools,

Mt Isa to Alice via the Plenty is a great trip. Bulldust and corrugations of course and taking you time you wil have no problems at all. Well if it rains then you might just wander off to 3 ways etc. There is a lso a nice bit of dirt road across Augusta downs about 50 kmswest of Camooweal which will take you down too. Give the manager a call first just out of politness.

Peter
AnswerID: 118898

Follow Up By: Jools - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:38

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:38
Thanks Peter. I'll certainly be checking the road condition before I leave Isa. I'm learning to crawl again on this trip so I won't be taking anything too risky unless we have company. I have a fair swag of recovery gear & picking up the hi-lift jack/plate & epirb on Friday, just hope I don't have to use any of it too often. I'm a photographer/stormchaser so will be spending a lot of time in gorges.
Cheers
Jools
FollowupID: 374076

Follow Up By: peterll - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 11:35

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 11:35
Jools

You will have a ball. Especially if you have done some driving before. You dont forget somethings :)

Stormchaser and photograph. Gee I have some pictures that might be of interest then. Taken last week when we had a couple of tornado type weather systems touch down. peter@leroy.ws if you wish to get in touch and I can send them to you.?

FollowupID: 374084

Follow Up By: Jools - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 12:24

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 12:24
Peter
I'm the granny of stormchasers up here. I'm also a StormSpotter for the Bureau of Met & a member of Australian Severe Weather Association. I would be very interested in the photos you have of that system.

I'm sure we will have a great time on our trip :) All these new gadgets that are available now are a learning curve for me. I bought a GPS & as the last resort I'm now reading the manual ;)
FollowupID: 374086

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 16:55

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 16:55
goodday jools
i thought it was only the blokes who read the manual as a last resort

lmao

steve
FollowupID: 374133

Follow Up By: Jools - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 22:05

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 22:05
G'day Steve
No way is that a male dominated skill! Besides..... babies aren't delivered with instruction books & my lot turned out ok ;) they're much like GPS's...... always find their way home again.

Back on topic........ I just purchased the Camps 3 book & noticed it's written by a bloke I'm pretty sure was in the Bundaberg 4WD club many moons ago. If the conditions are ok, I reckon we'll take the Plenty H'way.

Onto tyres..... I've been advised to get rid of the Bridgestone Dueler A/T 265/70 R16 & put a set of Cooper ATR on.
FollowupID: 374174

Sponsored Links