4x4 hire

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 07:27
ThreadID: 24443 Views:3170 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks
I would like some more rental firms that rent LCs or Patrols for our trip in May2006.
4wdhire.com.au is moving to Queensland and will not have trucks in the southern part of Aus
Thanks Ray
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: peterll - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 07:51

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 07:51
Ray,

We rent every year for the last 14 years and so know pretty well how the reputable hire companies work. 4wdhire are our choice for next year which will be the CSR, Anne Beadel and yet another wander around the Kimberley and Cape Leveque. If it is on a Hema map then they will allow their vehicles.

And yes even though they are to move the head office you can pick up and rop off from any major city. For instance our next trip, just back from one, next year is out of Perth. We haven't yet decided where to drop off but most likely Cairns.

Of course there are a few other companies and as I said, most will do one way hire, for a fee, or arrange for you to pick up from a chosen location.

Hope it helps and have a great trip we might even see you out there as we will be back over from March until about June.

Did I mention Cape Leveque ..go before June and snap up either cabin number 1 or any of the beach shacks, take a hammock. :)
AnswerID: 118897

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 07:59

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 07:59
Hi Peterll
The problem is that 4x4hire will be taking their camping kit off there list of options and that makes it a bit difficult for us to bring all our camping gear from NZ.
that was why I was looking for other options.
We are planing to do the OBC and simpson with some of the forum members
Ray
AnswerID: 118900

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 20:32

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 20:32
Hi Kiwi,

OBC and Simpson with some of the forum members. Would that be myself, Pesty, maybe Bonz????

Better drop me a mail at muddy@sclsd.net.au and let me know what dates you are thinking of coming and all that! Are you just doing the Simpson and OBC out of Adelaide or a longer trip? I see Perth getting a mention.

If it is just the Simpson OBC then just get a bare bones 4WD out of Adelaide, buy the cheaper camping gear, and we can help out in the group with stuff like compressors. Desert Access here in Adelaide has loads of rental stuff like Fridges and Radios. www.desertaccess.com.au

Cheers
Muddy
FollowupID: 374320

Reply By: peterll - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 08:07

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 08:07
Ray,

Try the Zelt cruiser it actually has more as part of the deal than the camping kit. Or do as we are thinking of doing..just hire the vehicle and fit it out yourself. Sure you miss a few nice things but it will surpising just what you do use and what you could have left behind.

You can actually rent bits and pieces to make up some of the equipment.

Something for safety, we have our own sat phone which works well in Australia on iridium, EIRB and maybe a UHF , all can be rented but we think are an absolute must take. Then something to sleep on or in. thick sheet of spnge rubber serves well with a plastic sheet under it. Sheet can also be used for emergency water holding if you work at it. Go to Woolies or where ever and buy cheap plast plates and mugs, a billy, some bbq utensils and a 2 burner gas stove. A torch, shovel (fold up handle) then consider where you will be going. Sand and dunes = 15 psi which is good for all sorts of reason. But! how do you inflate the damned things again ? So hunt around for a compressor. There have been numerous posts here on EXOZ so you will find recommendations as to brands etc.

oops I waffle :)

Just handing on some experience at this rental game. But maybe you have done so many yourself ?

And yes folks...not all rental vehicle are driven by Eurpeans so sometimes try not to run me off the road for the fun of it.
AnswerID: 118903

Follow Up By: peterll - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 08:20

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 08:20
Ray,

Just to wet your appetite even further..some URLs that we have collected over time.

I forget the one for Birdsville Caravan Park..a very nice stop these days

http://www.camperworld.com.au/rentals.html
http://www.kooljaman.com.au/
http://www.drysdaleriver.com.au/
http://www.wirraminna.com/
http://users.senet.com.au/~apttours/
http://www.biziworks.com.au/pink/
http://www.mtdare.com.au/
http://users.indigo.net.au/equinox/index.htm
FollowupID: 374044

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 08:26

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 08:26
Hi Ray,

not sure if this is the same company you've been dealing with, [hope the link works ;) ]

autorentalsaustraliawide

cheers

Lyn
AnswerID: 118905

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 08:56

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 08:56
Hi Peterll
Funny you should mention the Zelt Cruiser that is what I was trying to get but they are also being relocated to Queensland and will not be available in Vic as from November this year
Ray
AnswerID: 118908

Follow Up By: Uppy - Member - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:27

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:27
Kiaora, Kiwi Ray,Im in Perth,if you tell me what you need , I could go and check it out for you , the prices etc...What you can rent and what you need.Also when you are in Perth , we could catch up.Go the All Blacks!!!!
regards uppy
...the school bus,still gets us there

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 374056

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:39

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:39
Hi Lyn
Yes the link works
I have sent them an email
Thanks for that
Ray
AnswerID: 118916

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:44

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:44
Hi Uppy
Thanks for the offer of help.
We are doing the Outback challenge as spectotors and a Simpson desert crossing.
Not sure when we will get to Perth.
The All Blacks are doing well
Ray
AnswerID: 118919

Follow Up By: Uppy - Member - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:10

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:10
Hi Kiwi Ray.We will keep in touch and let me know if there is anything that you would me to check out. Ill keep the chilly bin full
regards uppy
...the school bus,still gets us there

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 374069

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:37

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:37
Chilli Bin ????
Don't you mean Esky?
FollowupID: 374120

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:45

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:45
Ray,

Make sure you check out one of our major sponsors in the Business Search - Vehicles Category Kea.

Also read the hire article in the Vehicle Choices Topic Search
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 118926

Reply By: Member - Clive G (Int) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 20:35

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 20:35
Hi Kiwi Ray.
Do you have a LC or Patrol in NZ. If so take it to Aus with all your camping gear inside. Can be on roll on roll off to Sydney or Melbourne or in a 20ft container to Perth, Brisbane. Travels under a "Carnet" system (contact Jim McCutcheon at Auckland office of AA) and can stay for one year, no duties to pay and runs on NZ rego. We took our 100s LC over to Aus last winter and have just brought it back out of Perth. Doing it again next winter. The same system works in reverse for Aust vehicles to NZ. The country is full of Aussie rego RV's and campers at the moment, here for the Lions tour.
AnswerID: 118990

Follow Up By: Kiwi Ray - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:56

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:56
Hi Clive
That idea is an option, what did they charge for the shipping of your truck return, and who did you deal with?
Ray
FollowupID: 374231

Follow Up By: Member - Clive G (Int) - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 16:07

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 16:07
Hi Ray
We used Allied Pickfords both ways. Hamilton branch= lousy. Tauranga, Melbourne & Perth branches all good. Last year was our first trip so did it the expensive way in a container both ways, very secure but dear at $4000 each way. Since then have learned a bit more by talking to fellow travelers. Lots of advantages though and will do it again. Give me a ring on my cell/ph first at (NZ) 027 472 9699 and any one else who wants some info on vehicles crossing the Tasman. To much to put on the forum, might bring the server down.
Won't be home tonight as going to sons for tea.
Clive.
FollowupID: 374275

Sponsored Links