SLA battery

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 14:45
ThreadID: 24452 Views:2698 Replies:6 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
Just bought 2 new SuperCharge Sealed Lead Acid batteries for the camper trailer. These are 105a/h each. I have a 3 stage battery charger (Durst brand) which has a switch on it to choose between "Flooded" and "Gel Cell" batteries.
I reckon these new batteries would be classed more as "flooded" than "gel", but would like the opinion of anybody on here who cares to part with theirs!! lol
Thanks in advance......
Roachie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:01

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:01
G'day Roachie

Check out ......

http://www.aulro.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5875

Or if that doesn't work .... see my following post for the guts of the dscussion.

Cheers cobber

AnswerID: 118944

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:03

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:03
Or here .............

The answer to a previous qustion is no we do not sell Optima Batteries, To view the batteries that we sell please go to www.supercharge.com.au
Another answer to a statement mentioned is that not all batteries come from the same place, far from it. Supercharge for instance make nearly all of their product range including plates, seperators through to cases and caps etc. Some companies do however have differant brand names apart from the main brand name. Here is some info from our web site.......
Supercharge Batteries is a nationwide distributor of conventional and maintenance-free automotive, marine, deep cycle, motorcycle and SLA batteries. Supercharge belongs to the Ramcar Group, one of the leading fully-integrated battery manufacturers in Asia. Ramcar has invested in a modern, state-of-the art manufacturing facility that produces expanded metal calcium-calcium batteries. With this manufacturing back-up, Supercharge aims to be the best supplier of battery products in Australia.
Supercharge has been operating in Australia for 20 years.

Our products are distributed from 18 warehousing locations all over the country. This facilitates the servicing of regular customers' demand through consistent, scheduled service. Our experienced sales and service personnel will ensure that stocks are fresh and ready-to-use, product warranties are settled promptly on site, stocks are rotated and batteries are kept clean and presentable. All of these services enable our customers to efficiently service their own clienteles' needs.

Product Lines

A. Our Supercharge Classic line consists of our conventional heavy duty, low maintenance Supercharge types. Coming in wet and dry charged variants, the line features high-impact polypropylene plastic casing and polyethylene envelope separators. The Classic line has proven exceptional cold cranking performance, long shelf life, and excellent durability even in high temperatures.

B. Our Supercharge Gold line boasts of superior maintenance free technology. Its gas liquid separator cover design minimizes the evaporation of water or acid in normal operating conditions. Its calcium-calcium, expanded grids provide superior strength and resistance to heat, grid corrosion and overcharging. The plates are assembled with polyethylene envelope separators providing even more cranking power and preventing shorting. Its lightweight polypropylene plastic casing guarantees high-impact strength and excellent vibration resistance. With all of these, the Supercharge Gold is simply a safer, stronger, more reliable battery.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.. cheers .. Brad
If you have any problems getting your discount ask them to get in contact with either Brad Chandler (GoldCoast rep) or Les Hicks (QLD State Manager) for information.
ps: Our warranties are now differant to what is displayed on the web site.
Classic range 30 months for cars, 24 months for 4wd , Gold range 36 months for cars, 24 months for 4wd. Classic is a conventional battery and the Gold is a truely maintenance free battery with higher cca.
FollowupID: 374114

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:05

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:05
P.P.S.

That's not me spruiking ......... some other bloke .. ;o)
FollowupID: 374116

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:22

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:22
Thanks Rosco......the link took me to a landrover owners site (WHAT THE!!!!hahaha) which was for members only; and when I read through the speil you attached in the follow-up, I'm afraid I'm still as much in the dark as b4....that's more a reflection on ME than you, I'd say!!! lolol
My new units are Gold series 24's....but nowhere in the long spiel did it actually state that they were either "flooded" or "gel".
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 374118

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:45

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:45
Yeh mate .. had a better read of it myself.. didn't mean jacksh*t to me either. Perhaps the link to their web site would be more use.

Cheers
FollowupID: 374123

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:11

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:11
Hmmm,

I would have just answered FLOODED Bill.

The gel setting provides a lower charge voltage to remove the risk of overcharging.

Even though your new Lead Acid Batteries are sealed, they are still of the Wet (Flooded) electrolyte variety.

Cheers,
Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 118945

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:43

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:43
Thanks Bill,
That's what i was thinking too.....great minds think alike!!!!
Cya mate
Roachie
FollowupID: 374122

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:16

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:16
G'day Roachie,

Mate you seem to be swinging from one issue to the next, maybe some time in the outdoors would help? Get away from those financial matters and worry about the things that really matter, like are the fish biting sort of stuff.

My understanding is that the Durst charges at 13.8 for Gel cell batteries and 14.5 for flooded. I'm inclined to agree with you though about it being a flooded battery because it aint a gell cell. But if you have doubts you would think that you can't break anything charging them at 13.8.

Are you gearing up for a trip?

Kind regards
AnswerID: 118946

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:42

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:42
Yes mate, headed for Birdsville ("THE GREAT EO GATHERING) this weekend followed by a trip across the Simpson. 2 weeks away from work.....yeehaa....
Cheers mate and thanks for the advice. I have had them on GEL so far, but realise that is not putting as much juice in as the FLOODED setting. I don't wanna stuff the new batteries up this early; but agree with Sandman too.....they still have liquid in em so they must be flooded type.
Cya mate
Roachie
FollowupID: 374121

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:53

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:53
Have a great trip, will be leaving for my own to the Kimberley in a week and a half for 3 months, woo hoo. A shame I couldn't catch up with all you guys in Birdsville but I will check with Ruth on my return leg to see if you have behaved.

Btw are you taking the trailer across the SD?

Kind regards and safe travels
FollowupID: 374124

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 16:22

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 16:22
Yes mate, the trailer goes where ever I go!!! hahaha I know that'll upset some people, but I'm sticking to my guns on this one........ My slant is that a 4x4 towing a trailer with all 6 tyres let down to a responsible pressure (say 16 psi) will do far less damage to a sand dune than a 4x4 without a trailer which has tyre pressures of 30+ psi. After all, the trailer is just along for the ride; not churning the sand like a driven wheel does.
I can't see why so many people get so upset about trailers (unless the idiots aren't dropping their pressures of course).
Hope you have a gr8 trip mate.
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 374128

Reply By: Vince NSW - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:59

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 15:59
Roachie,
Can?t help with the batteries but I have a question.
I have been trying to find a 3 stage charger for my Camper but can NOT find one that will do the trick at a reasonable price. Where did you get yours ?

Vince

PS I'm in Sydney
AnswerID: 118949

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 16:06

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 16:06
Sorry to but in,

Durst is in Sydney, they are not cheap but seem to have a good product. They've been in the game a long time.

Have a Durst for the trailer but bought an Etech on the weekend to plug the car and boat into when I'm away. Its a 3 stage charger but only 8.5 amps. Cost me $140 from a Brissy store (Springers) but I've seen the brand around at the shows so I guess they would be sold in Sydney as well.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 374126

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 16:38

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 16:38
G'day Vince,
Like Beatit has said, Durst is a good brand. Mine cost $500- last Novemeber. I bought it cos i had these bloody Exide Oribital gel cells that were supposed to be the ducks guts; but one bleep itself after 32 months. I wanted to do the right thing and give them the sort of tickle (or trickle as the case may be) that they seemed to require. The newer one is still going okay and it has only ever been charged by the 3 stage; whereas the older one used to get hooked up to the old 4 amp Arlec and also spent it's 1st 12 months under the bonnet of the patrol.

You might want to send a member message Brew69 as he bought a 3 stage charger for about $100- (off ebay from memory) and is happy with it.
When i was researching these last Novemeber, I came across 3 websites which all sold the exact same "looking" 3 stage charger all for different prices....even the bluish colour of the cabinet was the same on each one....only the name had been changed. I can't remember the 3 names now, but feel sure they were published in various posts at that time. I'll do a search and see if i can jog my memory.
Cya mate
Roachie
FollowupID: 374130

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 17:03

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 17:03
Vince,
I got that price wrong....sorry...I paid just under $300- for that one of mine.

Have a look at post # 17,587 for lots of info. Collyn Rivers, who is a bloke whom I have a great deal of respect for as I believe that what he doesn't know about 12 volts isn't worth knowing, made some comments on that post that even these $300- chargers aren't the best thing you can get for your battery charging requirements. He may well be right, but $288- is about the most I was prepared to spend on a 15 amp charger.
The other brands i was thinking of were:
www.hybralec.com.au
www.solarforce.com.au
www.baintech.com.au

I note that the last one mentioned no longer sells the exact same charger that i have bought; instead they sell the C-Teck jobbie which i've seen advertised in the 4x4 mags and also saw one at the shop I got the batteries from last saturday ("Home of 12 Volt" at Strathalbyn, SA)

Hope this helps....but one thing for sure....you get what you pay for (hopefully).

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 374134

Follow Up By: Grungle - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 18:49

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 18:49
I bought the 30 Amp version from ebay for $370. It is not branded as Durst but is identical in every aspect except for logo ( see here for a piccy) so Durst must sell off to other companies for rebadging. Mine has a dealer sticker on it. Do a search for eBay ID solarpower4u to see what else they have.

I have to say that they are a fantastic charger that is half the cost of the Xantrex type. Takes no time at all to get to the Float stage. They are a little bulkier (width wise) but I was lucky enough to find a spot without trouble. I have put a dob of silicon on the Flooded/Gel switch though as this gets flicked easily which I cannot afford to happen with my AGM's.

Your best bet Roachie is to email Supercharge and ask for the charging spec sheet for your battery. I did this with my Dynasties to make sure it was spot on.

Regards
David

FollowupID: 374147

Reply By: techo2oz - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 16:07

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 16:07
G'day mate,
I would think that if you shake it and it don't make a noise, then it is Gell. If you shakes it and it goes sloosh sloosh, then it would be a flooded battery.

But then maybe I am being too simplistic.

Cheers
Peter
AnswerID: 118950

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 17:04

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 17:04
Sounds about right to me Peter.....thanks mate

Roachie
FollowupID: 374135

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 22:03

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 22:03
I just bought two myself, I'm actually experimenting using them under the bonnet as cranking and deepcycle. They are 550CCA and 105Amp/hr each (mine are a different brand to yours, but sound similar). So together they give me heaps to start the car and 200amp hour for the fridge and lights. The LV Cut off takes one out of the loop if the voltage drops too low and seems to start the ol' girl on a cold morning (even if it is a little overworked) but that shouldn't happen too often. Even though these say "maintanence free" I have noticed that with a flat head screw driver I can pry the top cap off and top them up, from what I've read you can do it if the levels are low, you just have to only cover the tops then charge fully then top up to the correct level. But in theory the calcium-calcium type batteries dehydrate a lot less than the std led acid type so it shouldn't need to be done very often anyway.

Will be interesting to see how it goes...

But to answer your Q. yeah just charge like a normal deep cycle. Charge to 14.5v then rest and trickle etc.
AnswerID: 119008

Sponsored Links