sterring wheel not centre

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 20:53
ThreadID: 24468 Views:1677 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
hello

i have a patrol gu with a 5 inch lift with 35 tyres, drop arms and ajustably panhard rods.
My steering is pulling to the left and the steering wheel in not centered it is round to the right.

Will a wheel alignment sort all this out?

If so does anyone know a place around the sydney city area?

If not what do i need to do?

Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 21:00

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 21:00
have you got a return to centre steering stabiliser (a shocky with a spring over it on the steering arms)? If so, you may need to adjust this. Take the spring out, drive in a straight line and stop. get under it and lock in the spring at a neutral position when the wheels are straight.

No stabiliser? Was it straight before? I had this, and it turns out it is a bent chassis from snatching too many items which should not have been moved. Does it pull all the time, under accelleration or under brakes? Check all the mounting brackets for the steering components for bending/cracking etc.

A standard Wheel alignment will probably not fix it if that is what it needs, especially with the lift- you may have to head to a truck shop to get it aligned. There really are bugger all places around that know about steering on lifted cars.
AnswerID: 118994

Follow Up By: Brent.n - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 21:11

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 21:11
i Have a Steering stabiliser,

the pull to the left is not major

i was just asking if a wheel alignment would fix the sterring wheel position on my GU
FollowupID: 374167

Reply By: 120scruiser - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 21:24

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 21:24
Wheel alignment won't usually fix it unless you have castor correction plates fitted. Most GU's pull left and if you fit a castor correction to the left side you should be ok. To align the steering wheel you need to disconnect the air bag, remove steering wheel and re-align it. Ensure steering box is centered first.
To disconnect air bag, disconnect battery and turn headlights on for five minutes. This drains any power left in circuit. Then remove horn pad and steering wheel. To remove horn pad you will need the correct torx bit fittings,
AnswerID: 118998

Follow Up By: Brent.n - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 21:41

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 21:41
is there any easier way to align steering wheel?

there must be!!!

What does everyone else do, do you just put up with the steering wheel being unaligned

FollowupID: 374171

Follow Up By: Moz - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 22:09

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 22:09
Brent,
That IS the easy way!
More often then not a steering wheel which is not aligned properly
will need the toe-in adjusted during a wheel alignment.
But as have been said check whether the steering box is centered,
do this by spinning the wheel from lock to lock and checking the spokes
of the wheel mirror each other at each lock.
i.e. right hand lock - spoke points to 10 o'clock position
left hand lock - spoke points to 2 o'clock position
If this is alright then you need a toe adustment, if not reposition the
steering wheel as has been described previously.

Cheers Moz
FollowupID: 374175

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 22:49

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 22:49
Hi Brent,

Check out thread 24441.

I asked a similar question and received some great feedback that might be of use to you.

Hugh
AnswerID: 119025

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 23:09

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 23:09
Who did your lift, you seem to be havingbleeploads of issues with this... take it back, tell them to fix it.

When we replaced the steering arm on mine,
straighten wheels.
remove old arm
remove the wheel and center it.
then put the steering arm on, then adjust that to match the steering wheel center.

There is a truck tire fitting place mentioned out Wetherall Park way that has done a few of these, just cant remember who it was.
AnswerID: 119028

Follow Up By: 120scruiser - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 09:47

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 09:47
Truck Align.
Bruce Reilly. Has head office at Narellen, shop at Smithfield and a few others.
Very good operator. Has done quite a bit of design engineering to rectify alignments on many vehicles.
FollowupID: 374212

Sponsored Links