Moving to Sydney - car registration

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 14:45
ThreadID: 24493 Views:6755 Replies:10 FollowUps:28
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,

I am not relocating to Sydney from Adelaide (I can’t afford living here ;-)), and I have some questions concerning the registration of my 1988 GQ SWB in Sydney.

I had a look at the RTA website and from what I understand I have to check the car for roadworthiness, my question here is: How much would that cost?

My second set of questions is about registration and insurance. I found that the rego will cost me around 356 AUD is that for a year? Do I have to purchase additionally CTP insurance on the top of that, if so how much would that be (approximately)? It is slightly confusing because in SA registration already includes CTP.

I would greatly appreciate your help!

Regards,

Lukasz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: lukasz - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 14:47

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 14:47
I meant I am now relocating ...

Sorry!
AnswerID: 119112

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:05

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:05
I don't want to put ypu off but if you are moving from Adelaide to Sydney because you can't afford to live there then Sydney isn't the place to be coming to unless you have a real good $$$$ job.
Coming from Auckland to Sydney was bad enough :-(
NSW is the most expensive state to live in and Sydney is the most expensive part of the state
FollowupID: 374259

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 20:09

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 20:09
totally agree with KIWI here

I moved from Sydney to Adelaide 6 years ago as my employer relocated many back office finance type functions from expensive real estate in Sydney to a building in Adelaide that had whole floors of cheap unused space. In the age of computers that type of work can be done from anywhere in the country.

The company relocated me on the same salary (with my agreement!) and I can say that my salary goes WAY further than it would in Sydney where I lived for 10 years. I love Adelaide and would not consider moving back unless i was offered MEGA dollars to do so.

If you are going there to get a higher salary job than you could find in Adelaide then you may well be OK.

best of luck with it

Muddy
FollowupID: 374315

Follow Up By: lukasz - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 00:06

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 00:06
The work I will have in Sydney will be Junior Business Analyst, thus I need to be in the place where more large companies is located, that are thinking or developing new software. In Adelaide there is not too big market for BA jobs, especially not for junior positions. Moreover, being forigner with accent it does not help here. Sydney seems to be different!

To be honest Adelaide is great place to live, if you have good job!

Thanks for you input!

Lukasz
FollowupID: 374344

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 18:33

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 18:33
Gee - you may be peeved when I tell you that a BA is exactly what I do here! Yes, the market is not large and if you have a good position then it is worth hanging onto.

Best of luck with it
Muddy
FollowupID: 374425

Follow Up By: ZEDjay - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 16:34

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 16:34
hi lucas

Last year I registered an SA campervan here in Sydney - it was far more frustrating than anticipated.

My tips:

>> have patience

>> you will need to take the car and get it checked out and a form signed.
then you will need to take the car to an RTA designated office - there are only a few that do the ownership checks. We had to take it across town to Kogarah during office hours.

They check something on the engine - and write it in a sealed envelope.
you then have a limited time - I think it was about 48 hours to take the form and the envelope to another RTA office.

You will also need to take your SA ownership papers and you may need to take the plates in (check on that)

>> my tip is to give yourself a lot of time. We almost got caught out in the last step when we needed more documentation and the RTA was about to close. They told us we would have to go back to Kogarah again and start over because the time would lapse.
We ended up making it just in time to another RTA office with only minutes to spare.

>> another tip :: get the names of the people you talk to on the phone.

>> also factor in that if you are renting here, without a car space, some councils charge an annual street parking fee.

Good luck.

I am from Adelaide and have lived in Sydney for 20 years.
It's a great place, but I am thankful we have the camper so we can get out of town and into the wonderful country and bush camping in NSW.
There's nothing as great as trees near the beach -- don't get anything like that in Adelaide. Although I do miss watchhing the sun set into the sea.

zj

FollowupID: 374542

Follow Up By: lukasz - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 19:45

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 19:45
Thanks ZJ,

I will definetly start as soon as possible, and thanks for tips!

Lukasz

FollowupID: 374564

Reply By: lukasz - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:11

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:11
That is why I am moving!!! In Adelaide is hard to find a job, but in Sydney I already found two much better paid (as fresh Master's degree graduate in Information Systems). Moreover, when you consider renting not buying the property, it is very simmilar. I was renting place in Adelaide for 230, in Sydney I will be paying 250 but at the same time will be getting 20k extra per year.
AnswerID: 119114

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:18

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:18
It .......... right move over to rural ¨WA as IT back up for all the mining companys Networks. 4by heavan and you will be so far in front with cash in your pocket you wont believe it. For 250 a week you can own your own home in less than 5 years
FollowupID: 374263

Follow Up By: lukasz - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:49

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:49
I am not even an Australian Pernament Resident, thus buying a house is last think on my mind!
FollowupID: 374268

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 16:03

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 16:03
become one and you get the 7k first homeowners grant - my Scottish mate has, makes it even easier
FollowupID: 374272

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 18:08

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 18:08
IT in rural WA.... you get to play with tonka trucks whilst fiddling with computers and WANs- Its not a bad setup.
maybe if the price of petrol was a bit cheaper, I'd have some cash to spend.
FollowupID: 374302

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:13

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:13
why?????? Couldnt think of anything worse. Cant bring myself to even visit Perth let alone live there (frequent oportunities) as for Sydney................... 4wders worst nightmare
AnswerID: 119115

Follow Up By: lukasz - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:18

Probably you are right here. But being from Europe it is not as bad here in cities as in some other places where I lived.

Anyway the point is I need money to get away to play and Sydney is a place to go in my case! I already made my decision.
FollowupID: 374261

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:16

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:16
Dude, think long and hard about it.
There are plenty of better places to move than shi tney. not many places worth moving to for $250 a week

Insuance and rego - I used to have all my things regoed in Vic when I lived in NSW, saved close to a grand a yr.

CTP is seperate to rego and comp insurance, an extra $400-500

Sounds stupid, but NT is lacking IT people apparently, cheap cost of living, pay wont be as good, but you wont blow your whole wage on a latte and scone.
AnswerID: 119116

Follow Up By: lukasz - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:21

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:21
Thanks for answer Truckster!

I am planning to go move there for like 2 years max to get some experience, and then perhaps move somewhere else!
FollowupID: 374264

Reply By: garrycol - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:18

Costs will go something like

Roadworthy about $35-40
Number plates $60
Taxes - 3-5% of the value of the car
Rego About $350
CTP about $350

Comprehensive car insurance (assume it already is covered) - In the order $500 -$600+

And why not add $$$ for good measure
AnswerID: 119118

Follow Up By: lukasz - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:23

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:23
Thanks garrycol! That is what I needed!
FollowupID: 374265

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:42

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:42
CTP has dropped bleep loads since I was there...
also car insurance you can check online at most of the insurance companies
FollowupID: 374266

Follow Up By: lukasz - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:47

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:47
Thanks Trukster,

Is it legal to have car registered in different state and live in another?
FollowupID: 374267

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 16:07

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 16:07
In Wa it is not legal but you can hang onto yur interstate liscense so when pulled up all you do is show your interstate liscense and tell them you are visiting. As a bonus you can park where you like for as long as you like and all you get is a piece of paper under the wiper saying thnks for visiting but please observe our parking regs next time
FollowupID: 374274

Follow Up By: lukasz - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 16:24

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 16:24
Davoe that is great!!! I still have International Driving licence, so it makes it even easier!
FollowupID: 374281

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 16:40

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 16:40
No its not legal - if you are intending to live in the state rego must be changed within a couple of weeks but if don't intend to live there but sort of stay on then must be changed within 3 months - many people don't change it and get away with it - however I also know a number who have been caught out - big fines - if you have an accident, your vehicle is not classed as being regoed and more importantly you are not classed as being covered for third party personal (the CTP bit) - if you have an accident and there is a personal injury claim - you will be on your own - is it worth it?
FollowupID: 374288

Follow Up By: lukasz - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 17:34

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 17:34
In that case I will take 3 months and then look around. I really appreciate the answer.
FollowupID: 374294

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 16:40

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 16:40
Nope it aint legal, you have 4 mths to transfer it. But honest people get nowhere.

Your car is classed as not regoed? Horseshiat.. I had my accident in NSW while regoed in Vic, there were no questions at all. Bike written off, and paid out before I was out of horsepiddle.

I say do it, save yourself a fortune. If they ask, say you are on holidays, or working on contract for 3mths..
FollowupID: 374400

Follow Up By: lukasz - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 23:50

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 23:50
Thanks for help! From what I see it will cost similarly to Adelaide per year once registered, but I think that I will get another three months in Adelaide and thus will have 4 months rego to sort all the things out.

FollowupID: 374459

Reply By: chel - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:37

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:37
We just reregistered a 97 patrol breakdown of cost is
$352 for rego 12 months
$253 CTP(compulsory)
$28 for pink slip (roadworthy)
Phone around for CTP becuase you can get alot of variations ie. NRMA, GIO,AAMI etc.
Pink slip could probably vary slightly as well depending on the mechanic..
Hope this helps
Michele (new visitor at present)
AnswerID: 119123

Follow Up By: lukasz - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:50

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:50
Big thanks for the answer Michelle!
FollowupID: 374269

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:56

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 15:56
Hope you know the colours that are a rainbow....... When you move there, you're gunna need to get a blue slip, a pink slip and a phryggin green slip at the very least. That lot is gunna cost you a fistfullofdollars; that's for sure!!!!!

Best thing i ever did (next to marrying my lovely wife, of course) was to get out of that state of madness. Bob Carr has totally pharked the whole bloody place!!!! You need a special licence to phart in your own home nowadays. lolol

Good luck; you poor buggar.

Roachie ;-)
AnswerID: 119128

Follow Up By: lukasz - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 16:28

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 16:28
I saw the begging of the rainbow! In that case I will stick to my SA plates for another 6 months and then look around. I will have to get one of those "special phearting licences", because what I understand I can only afford Baked Beans in a month time! lol

Cheers,

Lukasz
FollowupID: 374284

Reply By: WheelTravel - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 16:33

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 16:33
Well I reckon ya gonna love it. As far as 4wheeling goes, there's certainly a lot more fun to be had close by compared to Adelaide. Short drive up the free way to Mt White where there is an awesome little park with climbs for tuff trucks to ravs! Go a little further nth. and you get the Wattagans. Don't get lost in there though, and some tracks you just Don't wanna be going along!

As for Sydney itself, Oxford Falls (open to the keen...nothing wrong with snatching a boulder out of the way!) and Red Hill in Cromer, skinny little entrance on the Wakehurst Parkway. Plently of stuff Sth. too, not to mention the Blue Mountains...all this within an hour or 2 of the city!

Living there is not actually that expensive, just don't buy food at cafes too much. The supermarkets really are no dearer.

The coastlin is one of the best in the world, with just amazing scenery and endless things to keep you occupied!

There is a slight problem with snobs, but just stay out of the eastern suburbs, and you should be fine. Don't go too far west either, there are too many people with guns killing each other. Although, per person, Adelaide has way more murders than Sydney.

Have a bloody ball Mate, it aint one of the worlds most livable citie for nothing.......

Writing that makes me wanna move back there!!!

Cheerio
AnswerID: 119133

Follow Up By: lukasz - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 16:44

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 16:44
That is what I like to hear!

The bigger rubers are of the list but pocket is empty. As 4 4wd-ing that what I was hoping for! Good weekend away in million-star-hotel @ Blue Mountains!

In Sydney I end up in Croydon (Inner West) heard it is ok place. Is it?

Moreover, shorty might stay more in garage Mon- Fri, because of better public tansport, and I heard that North Sydney (where I will be working) is not 4wd user friendly!

Lukasz
FollowupID: 374291

Follow Up By: WheelTravel - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 17:08

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 17:08
Croydon is quite nice. You will find it very ,multicultural, esp. coming from Adelaide. But you will have some amazing meals at amazing restaurants.

I used to work in Nth Syd. and drove my Landcruiser to work,and parked for free all day, 10 minute walkfrom work. Once a month, all those spots would be gone and thenit would be $20parking forthe day.

Cheers
FollowupID: 374293

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 17:22

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 17:22
Lukasz,
As mentioned you will need whats called a Blue Slip (Roadworthy & NSW Compliance Inspection) the first time around, from memory that will set you back about $50 but I stand ready to be corrected on that one. Your annual roadworthy or Pink Slip each year after that is currently $28pa.

Registration & Compulsory Third Party Insurance (Green Sip) will total about $600,
You will of course have the additional one off cost involved in the actual transfer of rego from SA to NSW rego some of which I imagine might be offset by partial refund on your SA insurance.

Yes! As suggested you can run around on your SA License and rego but is it worth it?
Once you take up permanent residency in NSW you are required to have them anyway and if sprung, which does happen, you are classified as unlicensed and unregistered - You don't want to go there I assure you.

Re your International License - My understanding is that if you have permanent residency in this Country you kiss your International License goodbye in NSW - No longer valid.

Mate check out the NSW Roads & Traffic Authority Site, you will google it under "RTA"

If your moving to the suburb of Croydon you can jump on the train to North Sydney, about 25 minutes I think, far less than it will take ti drive it and I assure you that a weekly train ticket will be no where near cost of the fuel and Habour Bridge Toll. Besides you don't need to find somewhere to park the train.

Good Luck on your relocation
AnswerID: 119141

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 17:48

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 17:48
Good advice - it ain't worth the grief - intenational licence ain't worth a pinch of whatever if you are living here.
FollowupID: 374297

Follow Up By: lukasz - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 17:48

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 17:48
Thanks Ian W,

I know about the Pernament Residency (PR) and International Driving licence, I lodged my PR application over a month ago, but was told that it can take up to 5-7 months, if lucky earlier. So I will have to do my Australian driving licence soon after arrival to NSW.

Thanks for info about Croydon, I had a look at it from satellite at maps.google.com and doesn't look too bad a just 3 min from train station.

Lukasz
FollowupID: 374298

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 10:55

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 10:55
Lukasz, I think you finaly got the information you need on the rego costs, so I wont harp on that. Yes you are supposed to transfer as soon as possible but there are ways around that, just depends on how 'permanent' your stay is and if you still have contacts in Adelaide. If not, then make sure your GQ is roadworthy and do it!

Dont be put off about Sydney, there is no 'One Place' that suits everybody!! I never wanted to be there but after a posting had to make the move and loved the 4 years I spent there!! There is ALWAYS somnething on and something to do, you just have to get off your butt and get out! Great 4wdriving (not the Harold would agree) in very close proximity considering the density of the place.

Awesome beaches, not the nice secluded type you find here in WA(at the moment) but spectacular none the less. If multiculturalism is your thing, then you can see and traste all the good that the 'others' have to offer and if you have half a brain....you can stay away from the bad they have to offer!!!!

I made the most of it, loved it but I was glad to leave after nearly 4 years (dont get me wrong, could have made it home but no family there) the anonaminity and the pace can get a little tiring!

About the cost...apart from rent, there was nothing there I found that was more expensive than anywhere else in Aust??? Most things were chaeper and more available with many more options of where to buy and when!!!

Anyway, goodluck, and hope it works out for you!

Matt.
AnswerID: 119253

Follow Up By: lukasz - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 13:58

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 13:58
Thanks Matt,

That is exactly how we figured out (me and my fiancé) that the cost of living will not be too much higher, if at all.

Now we are just waiting to the day of moving. I will have the GQ checked and serviced before trip so pink or blue slip should be all right.

We visited majority of stuff around Adelaide (short and medium trips) so now we looking forward to explore new territory!

Lukasz
FollowupID: 374391

Sponsored Links