Andamooka, Lake Torrens

Submitted: Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 23:00
ThreadID: 24633 Views:2791 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day.

Got back last night from a three day photography trip to Lake Torrens on an ATV. Thanks to those who are conserned for my welfare out there.

Had a great time. The ride alone was worth it. Viewing and recording the scenery really capped off the experience.

I saw three wild horses in the distance. When about 300 meters away, presumably the stallion came towards me at a menacing trot. I was rather pleased when he stoped at the top of a creek bed at about half the distance. I couldn't possibly outrun him with the trailer behind the bike on that rough country and my dingo stick wouldn't be much use against a horse.

I got stuck in the sand dunes twice and once in the mud. No major drama getting out.

The wheelbarrow wheels on the trailer handled the sand and mud without sinking. There's not as much weight on the trailer as might appear from the photos.

Ground clearence was not a problem. Had to pick my path a bit and go around.

Had trouble with thorns from three corner jack type burrs (not the woody ones I've seen before). More pinholes in the trailer tubes that you can wave a stick at; certainly too many to patch. Before the second trip I bought a pressure pack can of stuff that inflates the tube and mends the puncture. No worries! Excellent product! No more punctures.

The pictures are not NASA photos. I took them myself out the back of Andamooka, same place as NASA took the Moon trip hoax pictures. That explains the confusion.

I've put quite a few digital images of the trip and the country up on my website at http://www.geocities.com/laurie_m48/

There was up to an inch of rain a few days ago in the Lake Torrens catchment area so I was able to look (and photograph) across water in the lake and see the Flinders Ranges in the Distance.

There are also colourful pictures of the red sand dunes and clay pans with dead trees which I think are not too bad as artistic representations of the country as I view it.

Regards,
Laurie.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bega Photographer - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 23:05

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 23:05
Sorry. Just realised I didn't do the URL properly.

Andamooka, Lake Torrens

Regards,
Laurie.
AnswerID: 119889

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 06:13

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 06:13
Great trip Laurie. Interesting collection of photos. I should have put a ;-) after the NASA comment.
How did you get the rig to SA?
AnswerID: 119904

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 08:24

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 08:24
Hi Bob,

I understood your NASA coment to be a good natured joke. Hope you understood my reply to be in the same vane.

I was hoping to get out to the lake again for a one day trip either today or tomorrow before going home, but It's raining. It's 70 km of dirt station road to the homestead where I planned to leave the car and trailer. Out of the question.

But it's great for the pastoralists and the little animals.

Regards,
Laurie.
FollowupID: 374968

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 08:32

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 08:32
Really loved the trees and dunes one, and the pub looks my kinda place, no need to dress up :-). Carolyn
AnswerID: 119914

Reply By: Member - Luxoluk - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 10:51

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 10:51
Hi Laurie

Good to see you made it back safely & glad you got out to Bill's pub...it was a real institution back in the 70's & 80's. Loved your photos...makes me want to get back up there....only a couple of months now!! Cheers
AnswerID: 119931

Sponsored Links