Toyota 4Runner SR5 Limited

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 19:51
ThreadID: 24661 Views:9211 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I know this is an older model, but in my search for a Toyota HiLux king cab with Challenger canopy I came across this 4Runner in immaculate condition and could not fault it. It has the 3 Litre V6 engine, 4x4, Limited Slip Diff and oh so large Dueller AT tyres. Can anybody tell be how this 4x4 performs off road and what is your general opinion of this vehicle.

Also, the handbook which I find practically useless tells you what can be done, but omits how it can be done, well not in plain english anyway. But on looking for the towing capacity, it could only tell me to contact my local Toyota supplier. (Good handbook!!) So can anybody tell me what the towing capacity is for the Toyota 4Runner.

You would be amazed at what our little Kia Sportage will do, and I belive it to be so under rated. We love lightweight 4WDriving and the Kia suits us down to the ground. But the 4Runner was purchased as a suppliment to the Kia so that I would have a more powerful alternative when required.

So, I hope some of you knowledgeable 4WDrivers out there who are contributors to this great website can help me. It will be appreciated.

"The Bandit"
Penrith NSW
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 22:44

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 22:44
If you want to see what you can do with a 4Runner, check out this link!

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=10322

Hope it works
AnswerID: 120063

Follow Up By: Bandit - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 23:58

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 23:58
G'day Norm Now thats NOT what i'll be doing with the 4Runner. Maybe I should have said I have large tyres and not huge!!! And how would I pull me camper trailer!!
FollowupID: 375110

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 23:17

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 23:17
Good power but quite thirsty, expensive complicated and difficult to work on engine, cramped engine bay, earlier model before 93 I think had head problems.
AnswerID: 120068

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 23:20

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 23:20
Good offroad but not as good as the hilux of the same vintage.
FollowupID: 375107

Follow Up By: Bandit - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 00:07

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 00:07
Agree with all you say Mad Dog, getting about 370 Ks from the 65 litre tank. And the engine bay, I know what you mean. So where do I put the second battery when I get it!! hardly enough room for a couple of AA's .But plenty of power, and very responsive. But it's a dream to drive so once I get the bullbar on, a couple of spotties, a winch and the UHF I should have enough cash left over for the fuel.
FollowupID: 375112

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 00:27

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 00:27
Yeah much better on the road than a slow old hilux, enjoy your vehicle.
FollowupID: 375115

Follow Up By: vitara - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 11:30

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 11:30
Hi There Mad Dog, agree with you totally on being very thirsty.When I worked at toyota, people were trading in their old cruisers 60s/80s to get a new v6 4runner (thought their cruisers were thirsty) when back for there services first question was about excessive fuel consumption your 370 is pretty well spot on my mate had a rv6 manual was between 350/400 per tank. They are also now starting to blow head gaskets up and over about 150,000klms very expensive to fix specialy through toyota.My mate still works there been there for about 17 years head technician says there about $3000.00 to do the heads (what a rip off).But I must admit very smooth on the road, pretty good off road as well, IFS lets them down a little bit but still preety good, will probably go more places than the kia will especially when it comes to ground clearance. You can still put a 2 inch lift in them give you a bit more. Take Care Vitara
FollowupID: 375159

Follow Up By: vitara - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 11:35

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 11:35
Hi just a follow up just rang my mate he said the head problem was from day one till they stopped making them. He said they dont all go depends a lot on how there driven he noticed a lot that had blown had tow bars fitted, maybe over working them, and he said to check for oil leaks just under the heads at the back of motor bad for leaking ????
FollowupID: 375162

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 13:35

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 13:35
The vehicle is very capable and they are really nice on the road, the motor is thristy and not real powerful considering it's size. The earlier motors had head problems (there was a toyota recall, but not all got recalled). Most of those issue will have either been fixed by toyota or blown themselves up by now anyway...

The V6 is a pig to work on but doesn't have tooooo many problems. The body, suspension eletrics etc are the same as the surf and are very good to work on.

Here's a piccy for ya! :->

Crazy 4Runner in WA
AnswerID: 120139

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 20:36

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 20:36
When we brought our 4 Runner 5 years ago we had a choice of-the V6,the 4 cylinder or the 2.8 diesel 4 Runner.After talking to heaps of people we decided on the diesel.At that stage we wernt after power(luckily) and its been a great vehicle.Now we've got a camper and need a bit more grunt,Ive nearly finished installing a turbo.
Fuel consumption was the main reason for not buying the V6.
There's heaps of mods and acc. avaliable for these vehicles but like whats been said,be careful with the head problem on the V6.
AnswerID: 120222

Reply By: babs - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 20:40

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 20:40
Hey Bandit, can speak from experience on this one, owned a 91 mod SR5 ltd in yr 99-2000 had about 160klm, first thing I did was suspension torsion bars heavy duty springs, extractors and exhaust was fitted and 31" bfg muds as well.
Tried it out on the beach fantastic the v6 was great, should have taken a gerry can with me though. Then a couple of mates put together day trip in the bush, medioca
(spelling???) tracks, tried a little bit of a climb "BANG" there goes front diff. Replaced it with reco then went back to same place for testing, as it definatley was not difficult terrain "BANG" diff for second time. Replaced it as reco was still under wty, then was on another
4wd trip this is for the third time, a steep climb loose rocks an ruts "BANG" I bloody well gave up took the reco back for third time and sold it. My uncle purchased it off me and yes he was aware of the diff problems, but since his intended use was not 4wdring it suited him perfect.
Diagnosis:- there was no wheel travel, every time a wheel lifted in the front it would spin in the air and when it came down between the power of the V6 and the grip from the muddies it snapped the diff...
A common problem i found out later there front diffs are weak p#%s.
Though speaking to diesal owners not a worry...
12 months later under my uncles ownership the head gasket blew, cost him almost 5 gees for a rebuild...

Heres one for you, I met a gentleman by the name of Mal Blanks, if your familiar with the Bornio safari's from 1990-91-92-93-94. He was one of the bushdriver magazines 4runner drivers. This guy did the hard core stuff with moddified runners. Great watching if you can get your hands on the videos, I have them.
In conversation with him I was picking his brains on the safari, what was involved and his thoughts on the runners. In his opinion they were the biggest piece of S#!T toyota ever made, and if you watch the vids you will see partly why.
Im with him only because of my experiences...That should answer the offroad performance side of it.
Apart from that i enjoyed driving it around town very versatile comfortable driving.

sorry for being so negative but I got burnt...

Regards,

Babs
AnswerID: 120224

Follow Up By: Bandit - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 23:17

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 23:17
Thanks Babs for the a very well explained account and to all the others who have kindly responded to my question. You have all been very honest and it is appreciated, but I have it now and maybe I'll just use it for my trav'lin' treks along the highways and byways and the odd creek crossing and pulling the camper trailer. Other than that I will just keep in in the garage (uses no fuel that way) and bring it out once a month for a wash and polish and pretend that I own a Toorak Tractor!!!
See what research does, cannot beat it, just that I done mine after I bought the damm thing!!! Seriously though, it's gonna see a lot of Australia, I'll just be that little bit carefull. Thanks.
FollowupID: 375314

Reply By: babs - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 20:20

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 20:20
Hey Bandit what you can do to improve the 4x4 capabilities and take the load off the front is put a diff lock in the rear, highly recommended. I did a lot of reseach just recently before I purchased my new patrol, I had a 02 mod hilux ifs, so it was a concern that I was going to go through the same front end probs, found out a rear diff lock will reduce the risk of this happening hence improving your traction...
ARB air locker or Detroit locker advisable...

Cheers,

Babs
AnswerID: 120412

Follow Up By: Bandit - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 21:08

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 21:08
Thanks Babs, I will sure keep that in mind and next time I head towards Sydney I will check it out. But just getting it rigged out for normal treks and camper trailing has to be my first priority. Again many thanks.

Bandit.
FollowupID: 375471

Sponsored Links