Back @ work after Birdsville trip

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 09:26
ThreadID: 24767 Views:2722 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Well went back to work yesterday, after a week on the track & at Birdsville
Unforunatly I had to come back to work while Roachie ,family & 5 other forby's are crossing the dessert
Was a great trip up and took 3 days
We stopped @ Lynhurst the first night as all tracks where closed,I have pics of the signe boards with closed next to every track name
A Nissan navara joined our convoy @ Lynhurst with a couple of blokes from Melbourne called Ben & Bucky
Was alot of water & mud on the road, But if we didnt have it ,it would be a boring trip lol and nothing to talk about
Claytons bore creek was probably the longest water crossing we did
Although having said that there was some big mud sections too
Mungarannie was our next nights camp where we ran into Patrolman Pat & he joined us as well
Looked for the Page family graves on our run into birdsville on the 3rd day but by our GPS calculations it was under water lol
On arrival into Birdsville my family met Ruth & Ian for the first time what a loverly cpl & always ready to help & & what a quick wit ruth has
Had dinner @ the hotel that night with everyone after we set up camp
being a chef myself i know a kitchen can get backed up & dockets go missing which i hope was the case with us
Now the food was very nice although Barbs vegies where nearly raw on her roast
& seeing they where'nt that busy I didnt think we should of had to wait 1 1/2 hours for our meals seeing people who ordered 1/2 hour after us & had their entree's & mains & their mains where the same as our & some had well done steaks while we where still waiting for ours seeing they had 6 waitresses & 4 in the kitchen,But in the end the meal was nice so i will leave it @ that
Now one place everyone should have a hamburger is The Barkery .What a hamburger. A homemade bun wider than both my hands put together with everything on it & i mean everything so tall with everything in it they have to put a wooden skewer in it to hold it together lol And then eat it infront of the open pit fire in front of the shop Oh and how much is the burger $8 & worth it
went to the Working Museum & what a place that is & the bloke running it, spent hours there & the tour he gives 4 times daily is worth taking & all included in the price of $20 per family or $7 for a individual
After the mesium we all decided it was time to go play on Big Red . Couldnt go to Birdville & not play on there lol
We played there till after dark doing the eat & both west track
The next day it was time for the group & me to part ways them heading over the desert & me back down the track back to work
After a Cappacino @ Ruth's we headed back down the birsdville track
We where going to go via cardillo downs track & Strezleki but towing a camper decided not to wich in hindsight was a good thing as when we got to Lynhurst the next day Strezleki was still closed
Smashed a rear barn door window on the trol ( no silly me didnt have a stone guard) . & got bogged in some mud once but got out in about 10 mins ( what a difference a cpl of days of the track dtying out makes We stopped @ Marree overnight on the way back and @ The Drovers Rest they charged us $40 yes $40
for an unpowered site for the night
Once we got back onto the blacktop @ Lynhurst guess what it started pelting down with rain & didnt stop till we reached Kanina
Now one other place in my opinion to visit as we did on the way up & way back is the old wood fire pie shop @ Warrabrra( spelling probably wrong ) the pies are so good & full of meat ( not mince ) meat & not much gravy & what a selection of cakes & pies
rang Ruth & iam to let them know we made it back safely
well i'm back @ work now so planning the next trip to the flinders in September & i'm sure Roachie will give a report of the Simpson on his return
Warren snr
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 09:46

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 09:46
Sounds like a great trip Warren. I'm going next year for sure....even if its just for one of those hamburgers :). Look forward to seeing some pics.
AnswerID: 120623

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 10:17

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 10:17
Warren, sorry to have missed you guys in Birdsville - you could have left when we did but work was important I guess.

Lovely fish out from Haliday Bay though..........O.o.O in the distance today
AnswerID: 120627

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 14:24

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 14:24
goodday john & heather & moses
how are yoy
are you home now or stilll on the wallaby
did you have a good trip(or are you having a good trip

steve

only 3 weeeks to go!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 375740

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 17:17

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 17:17
Hi Steve and Denny, still wandering round North of Mackay til Monday morning mate and leaving Moses here for three weeks while working back South - me that is.

Hope Denny is feeling better there. My gout is playing up not in control obviously as it is supposed to be.
FollowupID: 375760

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 22:48

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 22:48
G'day John and Heather, hopeyou are still enjoying the warmth and over the colds now.
Don't hurry back until you absolutely have too. Still cold down here.
Cheers
Elaine & Al
FollowupID: 375794

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 11:22

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 11:22
G'day Elaine and Al,
unfortunately not over the colds yet but hope we haven't spread them too widely. We had a great drive following staying with you getting right up near Lake Frome, but driving til we could see the shadows of the roos on the road.
For those who wonder about the animal whistles, we had a roo decide to change direction, instead of hoppping across in front of us as he had been going to, he changed direction and fell over at speed. Better then hitting the bullbar of course....... Looked funny, sprawling across the lose dirt.
Talk soon folks
FollowupID: 375832

Reply By: maroni - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 12:29

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 12:29
sounds like you guys had a lot of un we did the same trip last year at htis time it was great and the weather good also, wondering while you were in kunnanurra did you go to barra barra and zebra rock.. if you did how good was the icecream and mango!!!
AnswerID: 120637

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 13:16

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 13:16
>The Drovers Rest they charged us $40 yes $40
for an unpowered site for the night

jeepers creepers
AnswerID: 120639

Reply By: Des Lexic - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 22:50

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 22:50
G'day Warren, Glad the trip went well and youve arrived home OK
Better camp at the old town of Farina, bit of a dunny there but much better.
AnswerID: 120701

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 22:08

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 22:08
Warren,

I swear there is somebody out on the gibber plains, somewhere south of Birdsville that is chucking stones at the rear of our vehicles.

Just about everybody that ventures up the Birdsville Track towing something, does a window in.

Ruth even warns us to "cover up" but do we listen??? Naaaaa.................

Mine happened about 160k's south of Birdsville, even though I was using a stone guard on the trailer. Bloody useless things. Didn't even protect the trailer paint.
Of course, the first 50 k's north of Mungerannie the trailer was 50 degrees either side of the Jack. Was fun though.

Good to hear you had a great time. See ya round the Track sometime!

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 121030

Sponsored Links