Kimberly Trip

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 15:21
ThreadID: 24772 Views:2312 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Regarding how much a trip up there might cost, Di and I have just returned from a 24 day jaunt - not quite as extensive as some but took in all the major features. We had:
8 'free' camps;
9 paid camps (all but 1 in Parks);
6 nights in motels ('no expense spared' recuperations);

and it worked out to just on $3,000. That included a $330 bill for tours (Lake Argyle - worth every cent) and about $1,100 for diesel. 8,000 kms in all - Adelaide to Adelaide.
Basiscally, we went up to the Alice, out and back on the Tanami 'highway' and wizzed around Halls Creek - Fitzroy Xing - GRR - Kunnanurra - Purnulu - Halls Creek and back to the Alice. We also took in the West and East Macs at Alice Springs before starting home.

NB
The vehicle is a '97 Trition dual cab with camping canopy and small roof rack. 2.8 normally aspirated diesel. Worked out at 11.4 ltrs/100 kilometers. Most weight was in: 100 ltres of water; 60 ltrs of extra fuel; small generator; extra spare; fridge and Thumper battery. 2 people travelling.

George
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Eric P (Int) - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 16:20

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 16:20
Hi George,

Cathy and I are flying to Darwin on July 27th.

My question does not concern how much it will cost (despite the fact that money is not unlimited, but our major expenses are actually plane tickets from Paris, France, and renting a fully equiped troopy as well as a satphone and an UHF radio).

I am a little bit more concerned about kilometers. Our planed trip makes approx. 8.500 km within 28 days (Darwin, Kunnunura, GRR to Broome, Coral Bay, Mt Augustus, Meeka, Alice (GCR), Tanami until Rabbit Flat Roadhouse, Top Springs, Katherine, Kakadu, Darwin).

Some people think it is too much.

What do you think ??

Cheers

Eric

AnswerID: 120652

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 17:14

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 17:14
Eric

You mention roughly 14 places to visit in 28 days. Each of the places you mention could easily take 2 -3 days just to have a look around + travelling time in between + when travelling like this, you need the odd rest day + you will probably find on a trip like this that you will not end up sticking to your itinerary 100% when you discover some places are worth staying a little longer.

28 days to do all this? well, I wouldn't and suggest you you re-think your plans a little.

Otherwise your trip will be a total 'driving' holiday and not much time will be had actually enjoying the country.

Good Luck.
FollowupID: 375759

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 19:23

Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 19:23
We're just back and drove 11500kms in 42 days.It was a heap of driving but sometimes if you travell along way to a certain area you try and see as much as you can while your there and if that means heaps of driving then you have to do it to see it.
FollowupID: 375773

Reply By: AdelaideGeorge - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 09:47

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 09:47
mmmmm might be a bit much - took 24 days for our tour and did the journey described OK - we had 3 days at Bell Creek/Gorge for example - 2 days rest in the Alice - 2 days in Kununarra etc. We tend to want to move on after 3 days so it all worked well for us. Could you stay a little more flexible? If you could get to Broome do so - if it proves too much, cut the GGR short and head down to Fitzroy Xing for example. That way you can take in the major attractions and shorten or extend your kilometers depending on your likes and dislikes

R

Geo
AnswerID: 120745

Sponsored Links