Bent atv axle

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 16, 2005 at 23:33
ThreadID: 24787 Views:3610 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Any suggestions on how to straighten a 3200kg caravan axle? Stuck in kakadu
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 01:56

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 01:56
put it behind a couple of decent trees close together or in a fork of a decent tree and winch/tow gently on the bent bit??
AnswerID: 120728

Reply By: macka - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 02:07

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 02:07
Hi... Axle shouldn't be 3200kg by itself. 1 of 2 x 1600 maybe ???? (2 in sq....)
If any trucks, Troopy campers etc,around... Strip axle. Lay on ground. One end suspended on rocks/timber, mound of dirt, etc. Back heaviest end of truck up axle. Should do something. We've done it like that b4.
Another way.You should have trolley /Bottlejack in car. Most people do..look for 3 largish trees. the right gaps apart. brace axle between them. Use Jack from Centre tree on its side. And try it that way.Or use rocks etc, to replace trees.. Dig trench in hard ground Put timber behind Jack on side. etc..
Other than that. make like a blacksmith.. Light good fire Get Bent bit, as hot as poss. Hot means soft. Trench Blocks Jack etc...
Put axle between trees/rocks, In Trench. use Snatch strap with 4wd and go for it that way.. use winch if you have one. You get serious enuff. something will happen.
The list is endless, if you think about it... Depend on what u carrying..
If anybody carring welding setup with batteries. hacksaw Slots in axle.enuff to weaken it... Straighten. Weld slots enuff to get u to civilisation. replace.
REgards
Macka17
AnswerID: 120730

Reply By: herdsman - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 07:03

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 07:03
Thanks fellas, looks like i'm gonna get down & dirty & give it a go

Cheers
Cameron
AnswerID: 120737

Follow Up By: kev.h - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 10:24

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 10:24
Hi Cameron
All the above is great if the bend is in the middle but if its between the spring and the wheel the only way is heat,(ie. big fire like someone suggested ) because the bend is near the end you might not be able to get enough force to straighten it otherwise. Only problem with this is that it will change the tempering of the axle (it will either become hander -more brittle or softer -and bend easier depending on the material its made of)o.k. for a tempory fix but i would replace it as soon as you can or at least have it heat treated properly when you get home
Its only the ends of the axle thats heat treated for strength and wear resistance the middle section is not usually and would be fine if you just bend it back into shape cold
cheers Kev
FollowupID: 375821

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 10:51

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 10:51
Be a man, throw it on ya shoulder and walk to the nearest workshop... I know Awill works out of carrum downs..
AnswerID: 120752

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 11:08

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 11:08
silly question but how did you manage to bend the axle ????????

steve
AnswerID: 120755

Reply By: Bega Photographer - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 13:02

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 13:02
G'day Herdsman.

I don't think you should try and straighten the axel in the bush. You won't be successful and by the time you've given up the thread and bearing journals will be damaged.

Consider the following:

1) Can you keep going as it is? Is the tyre hitting the spring or wheel arch? Will the tyres scrub out before you get to a service centre?

2) Is it a two axel trailer? Can you remove the wheel and continue with one wheel? You may need to tye up the axel with chain so it doesn't drag or with luck, it won't drop that far. Maybe a peice of 4x2 timber (or whatever you can find) over the good axel and tied up to the spring hanger of the bad axel (samd principal as a bra). Rope will be strong enough if you go around several times.

3) Can you turn the axel 90 deg. or 180 deg and continue with care to a service centre?

If none of the above will work you should remove the axel and take it to a city. You'll need a new axel anyway. Any repairs will be temporary. You may consider buying a new axel right away, getting the axel straightened in a hydrollic press or getting a half axel made up and welded in the middle. If it's a drop axel, refabrication may be your best way out and not too expensive.

Regards and best wishes,
Laurie.
AnswerID: 120767

Reply By: herdsman - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 13:46

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 13:46
Hi fellas,
Just removed the axle after some hot dirty work, its bent 12mm around 300mm from the shackles to the flange.Not much chance of me doing it I think i'll leave the van here & go to Darwin & get proffesional help. Not a bad place to be stuck better than working for a living. Going to try the Ranger Uranium mine & see if they will straighten it for me!
To answer one of the posts on how I bent the axle? I think it was when we travelled along the merrinie loop near kings canyon. It was very rough & we hit some huge washouts at speed, the van is 3500kg so it dont like that too much.
AnswerID: 120773

Follow Up By: macka - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 14:42

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 14:42
Hi That's not to much of a bend.. Take it easy, and tow to where it can be replaced/repaired. If wheel rubbing anywhere. Just take off that one wheel and tow slow to wherever..Sounds like you're a bit of a teararse..
All the aforementioned repairs, where meant to be temp. till you can change, restraighten/rebalance axle..
Regards
MAcka17
FollowupID: 375849

Reply By: Bega Photographer - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 14:01

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 14:01
That's not enough of a bend to fuss about. Put it back on and keep going to Darwin. You'll get it straightened there. I thought you meant it was bent!

Regards,
Laurie.
AnswerID: 120776

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 19:29

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 19:29
goodday cameron
was me asked about how you bent it ,mereenie gets pretty rough sometimes
anyway if you head for darwin (its only a 1 day return ) as you head into darwin on the left about .5-1k past the bpservo and caravan park on right, is a caravan repair place have helped me a couple of times althuogh there are a couple of places before hand may have a decent press to do the work with or down on the wharf area there are a lot of engineering works

steve
AnswerID: 120812

Sponsored Links