Reversing camera (yes I know....again)

Submitted: Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 20:49
ThreadID: 24846 Views:2229 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I'm planning on fitting one one of these. My problem is where to put the monitor. No room for in dash. Could go on top of dash, or from roof, but a bit concerned about general visibility.

Also want a small camera, not one of the big suckers you see on most web sites.

Have seen (on the web; brashimports.com.au)) the ones that fit over the current rear view mirror and act as a mirror when switched off. They are shaped like a rear view mirror, just a bit bigger. Come with small camera, either standard or infra red.

Anyone got one? Any good? Anyone got the infra red camera from Brash Imports with it? Anyone got it fitted inside looking out the rear window?

I've searched the archives. Only person I can find with one of these is Kazza055, but he/she is not a member so can not send a PM.

Thanks guys
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 21:04

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 21:04
I can answer some of your questions but not all
I have a rear vision camera. I have actually removed the 'standard' rear view mirror and ONLY have the rear vision screen. Colour and infra red. I also have a second camera that is 'wireless' which I can attach to my 30ft caravan or my 5 mtr Quintrex boat. The screen has 2 cannels so can look at either
The 'main camera' is fitted inside the rear window looking out, which is excellent. I can actualy see more with the camera than I could with the mirror. Plus I can fill the rear compartment behind the cargo barrier to the brim and still have a uninteruppted view out rear window.
Any good ? abosloutely, best thing I have done as far as improved vis is concerned.
Hope this is of some help
AnswerID: 121016

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 21:10

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 21:10
What brand and where from Kiwi Angler?
FollowupID: 376073

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 21:16

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 21:16
Norm,
I've seen the one KiwiAngler has. Very neat and everything he says about the viewing area.
You wouldn't even know the camera was installed inside the rear tailgate.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 376078

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 21:48

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 21:48
Actually not sure of the brand but I purchased it from and had it installed by TJM Warehouse in Kings Park here in Sydney.
It wasn't the cheapest one on market but it was what I wanted and I got the wireless extra camera for my caravan and/or boat.
TJM have a range of cameras and screens. Could I suggest you ring them up and discuss options and pricing.

02 96221000 ask to speak with Earle. Even if you aren't close to Sydney TJM have outlets all over
FollowupID: 376093

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 21:08

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 21:08
Goto Jaycar for small cameras
AnswerID: 121017

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 21:30

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 21:30
You may be right Truckster. Checked out their web site. A search for reversing cameras gives nothing. A search for cameras gives 10 pages. On page 10!!! I found what might do the job, but no colour infra red. Only infra reds I can see are B&W or a pretty expensive wireless one.

They don't seem to have any complete kits (monitor, camera, cabling etc).

Any hints?
FollowupID: 376087

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 23:04

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 23:04
why do u need colour? Its only to be used for a few seconds once or twice a day.... save the bucks.

is the vision out of the back of that thing really that bad?
FollowupID: 376118

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 23:14

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 23:14
You may be right on the colour Truckster, but you can get colour cameras pretty cheap and all the monitors I've seen are colour.
Normal vision isn't bad. Canopy restricts it a bit. Main problem is I've put a drawer unit in and have mounted a fridge on top of that on passenger side. Fridge goes right to roof on canopy, so I have blocked off half tthe view. Because of the high tail gate, my blind spot extends for several metres behind.

I've driven plenty of trucks with only side mirrors to work with, but don't see much point in being macho when there is a simple and reasonably cheap solution. Don't want to ding the back of the pretty Hilux on a stump!!!
FollowupID: 376121

Follow Up By: Wazza - (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:00

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:00
Fitted mine, I mean yours yet Truckster?
FollowupID: 376152

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:44

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:44
No :'(
u comin to snow, trying to get it happening for that
FollowupID: 376160

Reply By: Kazza055 - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 22:53

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 22:53
Hi Norm C. Guess I will need to do something about that membership one day.

My set up is a 7" LCD TV (brand name is SUPER) which I got through eBay for about $160.00. I purchased 2 cameras (not the infra red) from Brash Imports for $55.00 each.

One camera is currently mounted behind the tow bar pointing to the left across the tow ball. This was mainly done to aid with reversing onto the van hitch but I have found the position is R.S.Next move is to buy a rear window wind deflector to mount above the rear doors on the Patrol with the camera aiming down onto the hitch. The second camera is going to be mounted in the rear of the van.

My intention was never to do away with the rear view mirrors (I think there may be some legality on this subject) but to use it as an aid. I guess we all saw the current affairs show when they placed a teddy bear behind the back of the 4x4 (do that with any car and you would have the same problem).

My TV currently sits in the console in front of the gear shift but still looking for a more suitable location.

If you have any other questions, email me at kazza055 at bigpond dot net dot au.

Bob Cheers
AnswerID: 121040

Reply By: snowman - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 08:51

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 08:51
Hi Norm,
I have the Jaycar catalogue here in front of me and thet do have coloured cameras. There are some on ebay also, do a search for ccd cameras, wireless cameras, surveillance or spy cameras.
Cheers Dave
AnswerID: 121069

Sponsored Links