Making calls to/from TMS Sat Phone

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 00:51
ThreadID: 24852 Views:3421 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Forgive me if I am bleeding stoopid and have missed something completely and utterly obvious. We have just bought 2 Motorola 9505A sat phones from Telstra which come with 10 digit numbers i.e.: 0147 ### ###

So far so good...

Welll hmmm seems first of all they forgot to mention the phones they delighted in parting us with our hard earned readies for were UNDER RECALL ... ooops you could say....

TWO phones FOUR batteries: THREE batteries registered INVALID BATT...

"Yes sir, no problem ... we understand you are due to depart for overseas to a remote communication-deficient land for FOUR MONTHS ... rest assured WE GUARANTEE the replacement handsets WILL BE THERE BEFORE you leave...."

One cancelled flight later ...

Anyway as if that isn't depressed and incompetent enough ... does anyone here think I can possibly get a simple answer from the Telstra brains-trust to a completely unrelated but simple question ... hmmm

"Please tell me what my partner in Malaysia needs to dial in order to call my Telstra TMS Sat Phone?"

... "Of course sir, just have them dial their IDD prefix, the 61 Australia country code and the Sat Phone number, without the 0 in front ... for example... 00 61 147 ### ### ... it's as easy as that, thanks for your call, have a nice day..."

BEEEEEEEP... "THE NUMBER YOU HAVE CALLED IS NOT CONNECTED" ... BEEEEEEEP

Which brings me to my humble question folks ...

How does someone call my Australian Telstra TMS Sat Phone from either an overseas landline or overseas GSM mobile phone?

I no longer have faith in Telstra ... I place my plea in your collectively expert hands

Cheers

David W
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: peterll - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 07:10

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 07:10
Just reading the back of the card for my Sat phone it says :

To Reach me on my sat phone: Dial the international access code for your country, followed by my sat phone number printed on the front of this card.

Example : If my sat number is 8816 xxx xxxxx dial 011 8816 xxx xxxxx from Nth America ( I am currently working in Canada) and 00 8816 xxx xxxxx from most European countries.

So maybe.... if you were in Australia and dialling someone on Baffin Island you would dial 0011 then the sat phone numeber ?

011 is how those who live in Canada get the international dial tone thingie.

Might work ?
AnswerID: 121052

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 07:25

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 07:25
I think Willem had this issue when he was last overseas.
I think he just dialed the Sat Phone number without anything else, No country or other code.

I'm sure he will be along soon to answer you directly.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 121054

Reply By: Dean (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 13:10

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 13:10
Toxinoligist,
Cant help with the calls as Telstra are not my iridium provider.
That business with the batteries is unbelievable. I bought the same phone 2 months ago. At the time I was told there was a problem with the phones/batteries and would have to wait a couple of weeks.
That dealer would have had to have known he was selling a faulty product.
On another issue I could not get an anwser from telstra yesterday in regards to the call cost from our telstra gsm to our non telstra sat.
Will wait with interest for the bill to arrive.
Will privitisation make telstra better or worse.
Dean
AnswerID: 121102

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 18:38

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 18:38
Nah!,

It's already worse because of privatisation Dean.

The Private bit and the Government bit are, by themselves, not accountable.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 376210

Reply By: Tony F - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 18:45

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 18:45
As it is a sat phone ( think mobile) all you have to do is dial the sat number. They are always on international roaming being a sat phone. The same applies for dialling out no matter where you are. it explains this in the owners manuel from memory.If not contact the telstra shop at slacks creek in brisbane, they are very helpful. Happy Camping
AnswerID: 121166

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 00:24

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 00:24
There's stuff on a previous post from me about the battery issue and there's more on the www.iridium.com website.

As for an Iridium provider that actually provides customer service and a suspendable plan try TR Telecom in Ringwood Vic.

Dave

PS One day if people stop borrowing my Satphone I might get to put my account on suspension....

AnswerID: 121792

Sponsored Links