i'm in the wrong job(who's making all the money)

Submitted: Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 15:27
ThreadID: 24963 Views:2601 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Last week on my way back home from Birdsville.On the Birdsville track I broke the rear large barndoor window on my GQ Nissan patrol ( yes my fault no stoneguard on the trailer) I rang my insurance company SGIC here in South Australia . And they said sure we can get that fixed for you thru Pilkington glass for
WAIT FOR IT $514 dollars but i will have to pay the $350 excess & they will pay the rest & take it to the city a 400 klm round trip & leave it there for a day
I rang my local mechanic & he said sure Warren i can get a local man from the next town who does all the widscreen work for me
Now how much you ask????? here we go
$375 fitted with a proper Nissan window demister & all
Now you would think a big company like Pilkington glass who obviuosly buy in bulk would get things cheaper
So how is it that a little one man company in a small place like the Yorke Paninsular can do the job $139 cheaper & still make a profit/living
So in a few weeks when i have a spare $375 you know where i'm getting the job done dont you
& am thinking of changing insurance companies too as before my trip they wouldnt let me change my policy to include a windscreen till my policy renewal in september , remembering that in my 10 years with them i have never made a claim of any kind
so if anyone has a good policy please let me know
warren
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 15:37

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 15:37
G'day Warren,
Sorry to hear of your hassels.
Try Australian Central Credit Union as they are agents for CGU. Their cover is anywhere in Australia and includes windscreens. Excess is $250.00 from memory.
Phone 131321 CGO are underwriters for TCIS which is the nominated 4WD Association insurers.
I find them reasonable to deal with.
Cheers
Alpaca
AnswerID: 121613

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:39

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:39
On full cover with maximum NCB (no claim bonus), glass repair is typically free, or involves a reduced excess, although some insurers like to throw in the exclusion of "Only front windscreen" or only one claim per year on this benefit.
Its just a shame you always realise you could have made a better choice when its all too late.
FollowupID: 376789

Reply By: crewser - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 15:38

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 15:38
aussichef
go to the wreckers and buy glass secondhand you will save a fortune. the windows are very easy to fit. I just threw a gq rear cut to the tip doors and glass intact because wreckers did`nt wont it overstocked with gq`s they said. you could have had glass for a box of xxxx.
AnswerID: 121614

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:34

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:34
Hmmmm, several things come to mind here...

a) Pilkington are ripping off the insurance comapny because they can.
b) The Insurance company are getting a better deal through Pilkington (probally $350) and figured your just a stupid customer so we'll get him to pay for the whole lot AND up his premiums for the pleasure...

Either way I think the glass has gone up somewhere it probally shouldn't have.

Sorry to hear it anyway, bloody mongrals...
AnswerID: 121620

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:46

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:46
Warren,

Like you, I broke the rear (large) window on the Jack when traversing the Birdsville Track.

Your comment, "yes my fault no stoneguard on the trailer" also has little bearing.
I DID have a stonegard on the trailer.

What is mandatory is protection on the window itself, either a piece of cardboard or a purpose designed acrylic barrier which is better as you can still see through the window.

Anyway, when I got back home, I rang O'Brien Glass and they subsequently asked for my Insurance Policy number. They also arranged a time to come to my home and replace the glass, which they did without incident, using a new genuine Holden (Isuzu) Rear Window including built-in heating element. The fitter, noticing that the original window was professionally tinted, then gave me the contact details for a Window Tinting Company and provided the Job Number to quote them.

A few days later they turned up and installed a new tint membrane to the window.
That was it. No mention of any cost. They get paid by O'Brien, who get paid by the Insurance Company.

The whole process for Window and tinting was covered under the original insurance claim.

The Insurance Comany? RAA Insurance. Couldn't have been happier.

Their standard Comprehensive Insurance Policy includes one Windscreen replacement per year, Front, Back, or Side Windows.

By the way mate. You were originally quoted $514???
The cost to me if I wasn't covered by RAA Insurance......$1500
and that didn't include the window tinting.

So do yourself a favour Warren. Investigate a Rear Window saver such as that available from Obie's Outback or something similar.......piece of mind.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 121623

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:49

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:49
By the way,

No excess charged. All part of the deal.

I hate to promote Insurance Companies but I have to admit, it is worth the RAA membership and their Insurancy Policy.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 376792

Reply By: MarkTheShark - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:21

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:21
aussichef

At least you had the sense to shop around a bit.

I protect the rear window of my 4WD with a $50 piece of perspex cut to shape with a jigsaw and taped on.

Mark
AnswerID: 121627

Reply By: hl - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:47

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:47
Hmmm
I broke the small one on my GU barn doors...... It cost $880.00...

Cheers
AnswerID: 121632

Follow Up By: muzzgit (WA) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 01:11

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 01:11
I did the same thing going thru Milstream Chichester NP a few years back and was quoted $770.00 ....NOT FITTED.... by Nissan.

I shopped around and got it supplied and fitted for $440.00.

The main issue was taking the rubber seal off without tearing it, and fitting it to the new one, which was non genuine and didn't come with one.
FollowupID: 376871

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 19:28

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 19:28
I broke the small one on an '84 Troopie on the Oodnadatta track 15 years ago - bought another at a smash repairers in Alice for $25. I was very lucky :-))

I switched from SGIC to AAMI because of better service and cheaper premiums about 5 years ago. My current policy has a $16 fee to waiver the excess on the front windscreen. But I recently halved the premium by choosing the maximum excess ($1850), so it saves me $414 per year. I just hope like hell, I don't need to use it - but given no claims for the past 30 years, I'm happy to wear that risk.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 121646

Reply By: JR - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 19:59

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 19:59
Warren,
Did mine last year, theres two kinds of rear windows, Nissan original - encapsulated???? and a glass only kit
My local windscreen guy reckons "glass only" rarely works very well as you have to cut the rubber off the old one and glue it to the new glass. Often leaks and can fall out.
Guess what - Nissan original~ $700, glass only around $300
He strongly suggested Nissan one even though he made more from supplying glass only kit
JR
AnswerID: 121651

Sponsored Links