All "repairs" now effected following Simpson Crossing

Submitted: Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 18:59
ThreadID: 24970 Views:3982 Replies:14 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
I'm posting this just to give Pesty and Muddy and Lucy a bit of a chuckle!!!!!

As some you are aware, we recently did a crossing of the Simpson, east to west, towing the camper trailer.

Okay.....so I had a few hiccups.....all of my own making!!! The product Nissan sold me 5 years ago, performed flawlessly. However, aftermarket products (AGAIN!!!!!) let me down, but this probably says more about the poor excuse for a mechanic that I use. But what can I say.....he IS very cheap and a damned nice bloke!!! hahahaha

(1). The nut fell of the end of my 4-Ways RTC steering damper....this was near the end of the trip at William Creek.

(2). On at least 2 occasions I had a leaking bottom radiator hose. This was was that I'd cobbled together myself using a few inches of the original hose at the motor end, then a 90 degree poece of stainless steel pipe with 2 clamps at each end (this is where it was leaking) and a piece of reinforced multi-purpose hose from there to the radiator. This has now been set aside and a standard Nissan hose has been re-fitted since returning to home.

(3). This one is complicated to explain...but I added 1+1+1 and got 5!!!! One morning in the Simpson I noticed a small amount of oil leaking from the area at the back of the motor just below the vicinity of the oil filters. I had recently removed the rear filter and installed a AMSOIL by-pass system and assumed my own "handiwork" was faulty and had led to the leak. It was only a few drops so I didn't worry too much....just pretended I owned a Landrover!! When we stopped for morning tea at the junction of the Colson Track (we were travelling the French Line), I decided to reverse a small distance after initially parking close to a vehicle in front of me. All hell broke lose in the cab!!! The buzzer I'd fitted to warn me of low oil pressure was blaring away, so I shut the motor off immediately, believing the small oil leak had gotten worse. I spent the next half hour gerry-rigging the filtration system back to original as a check of the dipstick showed very little oil at all. I put an extra half litre of oil in and all seemed okay until I re-started the motor. None of the "idiot" lights were working on the dash. Checked to find a blown fuse. Replaced fuse and all okay again. I figured the fuse blew because of the buzzer going off. All of my assumptions with this problem were WRONG!!!!
(a). The oil filtration was NOT leaking, the oil I saw everywhere was coming from the ARB front diff-locker solenoid which is just above the brake master cylinder (in turn just above the oil filters).
(b). I was NOT low on oil....I was parked on a slight slope and the dipstick was not reading accurately.
(c). The fuse did NOT blow because of the buzzer. The buzzer came on as a result of the fuse blowing....an additional fail-safe feature I unwittingly included when i insalled it. The fuse blew for a different reason.....you're gunna LOVE this one....read on dear reader.....
I had installed a pair of spot lights on the back of the roof rack some time ago. I decided to wire these using a on/on switch. In it's normal position, the switch draws power from the reversing light set-up at the back bumper wired to the reversing beeper. The red wire was routed along the top of the chassis, right over the top of the rear coil spring bracket....between it and the body. I hate to say it but it looks like the small gap between the bracket and the body has reduced by a few mm to the point whereby the wire shorted out on the body. The reversing light does not have it's own fuse; it seems to operate off the same fuse that controls the idiot lights. So, select reverse at morning tea stop and blow fuse, causing buzzer to go off and me to automatically assume (wrongly so) that I had lost oil and pressure. What a kock-up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, all is well again. We all had a ball and the weather was perfect.

Not sure if anybody reading this was returning south from Maree to Lyndhurst on 10/7.......we passed a lot of vehicles heading south after the road between those 2 towns had re-opened. The roads north and west of Maree had still been kept closed, so those blokes were happy to take the only way back out before more rain came (which never eventuated anyway). As we talked amongst ourselves on the UHF, we said that the people heading south probably think we are mad for heading north. Somebody travelling south came back and said "We do think you're mad". Well, if you're reading this.....please be aware that we got through to Maree without any dramas, the Birdsville Track was opened after we had lunch and we continued onwards; only stopping to extract a Landcruiser from a bog and also to stop for a chat with Willem and Judith. The roads kept being opened as we needed them to be opened.....the desert tracks were initially closed when we got to Birdsville....but we wanted to stop there for 2 nights anyway and the track re-opened when we ready to leave.

It was very boggy and water-logged and BIG holes in the track just west of Purnie Bore; but the 2 nights at Dalhousie Springs made it all worthwhile.

Just to dispell any misconceptions...... we had a couple of vehicles in the convoy which were bog-stock standard, even down to the tyres. These were a Navara 3 litre diesel and a Hi-lux; both dual cabs. The 4 Patrols (3 x 3 litre and my old banger 4.2) all had some suspension work; 3 had Goodyear MT/R the other BFG All Terrains.

Mine plus one of the 3 litre Patrols towed camper trailers without any dramas and we did NOT cause any additional damage to the desert tracks as we used sensible tyre pressures.

Cheers

Roachie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 19:23

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 19:23
Hi Rochie

Its not suprising you had a few little things happen, I am still finding a nut missing here and something else missing there, all due to the corrigations, nothing mechanical luckily.And you copped the rain just behind us. Great trip, cant wait to do it again.

crazie
AnswerID: 121644

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 21:24

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 21:24
Might not be the corrugations that cause that Crazie - have seen the same thing when your jocks are too tight.
FollowupID: 376838

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 21:45

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 21:45
Ahhh.... Kir is still searching for that nut.......lol
FollowupID: 376843

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 19:32

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 19:32
LMAO! I reckon you and I would get on very well mate! What a storey.

You know what, you've answered my questions from a previous post a few weeks back.

"The reversing light does not have it's own fuse; it seems to operate off the same fuse that controls the idiot lights"

The surf went dead after towing a trailer all day, hit reverse and everything died. Must have been the reverse beeper (that I fitted) and the extra load of the trailers reversing lights that knocked it all out, the only weird part is that it was working all day prior to when it went bang. Strangley enough the electric windows on the surf also run off that fuse.... OH CRAP, I just worked out what it was while I was typing this!!! LOL I had the drivers windows automatically winding down while I was reversing the trailer back into it's bay, that's what caused the extra load and consiquentally blew my fuse!! YAY, Thanks Roachie I feel better knowing what it was. So the window, reverse beeper, all the lights, plus the dogey old trailer lights (with heaps of resistance no doubt) all together knocked out my main fuse...

Sounds like you had a blast anyway mate.!
AnswerID: 121648

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 21:32

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 21:32
Mate they've got fuses for all sorts of things....I'd have thought they would have had a separate one for the reverse light/s, eh??
Go figure!!
Cya mate
Roachie
FollowupID: 376840

Reply By: Boeing - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 20:15

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 20:15
Roachie, As my mother used to say, "the more roses you have the more thorns you have". I don't know if she was referring to 4wd accessories, but you get the idea.

Regards

Mark
AnswerID: 121659

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 20:15

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 20:15
Roachie,

That is the best Friday Funny I have ever read........lol

Glad to see you are all back safely.
AnswerID: 121660

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 23:01

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 23:01
Pleased to have been able to entertain you mate...hahaha
FollowupID: 376854

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 20:26

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 20:26
Glad to hear you are back safely, Bill and Annette and boys.

Maybe you shouldn't give up your day job to start a Mechanical Workshop lol
AnswerID: 121663

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 23:03

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 23:03
No worries Willie, Thanks for the well-wishes..
Heard from Ruth that you were home safely too...lots of rain your way apparently.
Hope all will be well with your oil leak too in due course.
Cya
Roachie
FollowupID: 376855

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 20:27

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 20:27
He is just busting for me to reply, with, thats a trol for you, the only loose nut is behind the steering wheel, but im not going to ! hahahahahaha
What can I say mate you never seem to disappoint me/us with your trol full of adventures.
Think you need to spend less on the trol and more on the mechanic !!!
He might be a good bloke but hes no mechanic, better come over and ill give you some lessons hahahaha
AnswerID: 121665

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 23:05

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 23:05
Don't like spending $$$ on myself.
Too bad you couldn't have come along; you'd have had a ball watching the snatch-strap in front of you do it's job as you were pulled over the dunes by a Patrol......lolololol
Cya soon.
Roachie
FollowupID: 376856

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 23:35

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 23:35
Roachie.

You ARE a disgrace to this forum and that’s all I am able say because I am

ROFLMAO

Nup! I do believe embarrassment is a better word to describe your efforts.

Can’t figure out what Annette sees in you. ?????????????

Would loved to have heard the ‘pillow talk’ after you dutifully informed the family that your engineering skills were coming together just nicely, however a call on the Sat Phone to John Howard to authorise an SAS rescue was about to be embarked upon.

I can just see it now mate, you wishing you had your mud map wiring diagram the size and complexity of a Naval Architects drawings of the QE II. The 10,001 cabin switches being flicked this way and that with all the willing, but totally helpless onlookers offering such illuminating advice such as

“whats this wire do Roachie”.

Just as an aside – BONZ and I just spent 3 & ½ days working the ATECO extreme winch challenge at Warrigal where I would have to say the majority of machines with a brand name identical to that ‘space ship’ of yours, didn’t do too good at all, compared to the other two major opposition names.

I will admit though there was one particular NIS.. (can’t bring myself to say it) that was the equal of any Toyota there, - and some.

Have Solace in knowing that your problem/s and damage don’t even appear on the problem/damage radar screen compared to what a fair number of the cars in the competition sustained.

Good to see you all back in piece and not living on a ration of ANZAC Biscuits (Annettes) and water whilst awaiting a rescue.

PS

Sorry Pesty, just couldn’t help myself.
FollowupID: 377025

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 21:04

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 21:04
"The roads kept being opened as we needed them to be opened....."

Bill,

Did you have someone above looking after you, or did you have one of Harry Potter's majic wands that Williem said he wants???

Good to hear you had a relatively trouble free holiday mate.

P.S.
Are you now looking for another (cheap) mechanic???
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 121676

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 21:27

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 21:27
Glad you had a great trip. Would love to do the Simpson with the camper..... I gather that it did not cause any problems despite what you hear to the contrary.

Andrew
AnswerID: 121679

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 21:46

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 21:46
G'day Andrew,
Tyre pressures are critical and we were very fortunate that the sand was nice and damp. I wouldn't like to travel the desert if the sand was dry, even without a trailer.....not because the vehicle wouldn't handle it, but because of the damage to the dunes.
I'd love to have had 35" tyres and even admit that an auto transmission would have certain advantages over a manual in such conditions.
As for the old argument about west to east or vice versa.....aa far as i'm concerned the approach on both sides were very similar and it would not have made a great deal of difference...just my opinion though
Cheers mate
Roachie
FollowupID: 376844

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 23:09

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 23:09
I agree. I crossed both ways, and it didn't make any difference. Naturally I ran low tyre pressures, so didn't expect any dramas, and didn't get any (unless you count the fridge dying).

Cheers
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 376857

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 23:39

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 23:39
WHAT???? Not The new Fridge Jiarna?????

What happened???

FollowupID: 376865

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 22:06

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 22:06
Hi Muddy
The fridge was a reconditioned unit, and whoever reconditioned it left out most of the screws holding the guts of the fridge in place. So not surprisingly it moved about during the Simpson crossing and lost its refrigerant. Fixed under warranty in Adelaide, but still not all the screws replaced, so it's done it again. Maybe this time I can get it fixed properly in Alice!
Cheers
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 376947

Reply By: GREENDOG - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 21:51

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 21:51
Roachie sounds like you had a good trip mate,catcha ya next week cheer's GREENDOG P.S my turn next week ca'nt wait
AnswerID: 121682

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 22:59

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 22:59
Yeh mate, hope to catch up with you when you're up here......in case something goes arze-up; hope you have a great trip too.
Roachie
FollowupID: 376852

Reply By: Des Lexic - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 22:50

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 22:50
G'day Bill,
Glad you all made it safely home but I'm still convinced the problems arose cos they are connected to the troll.
The 50 is going great thanks.
Des
AnswerID: 121688

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 23:01

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 23:01
G'day Des
Funny thing..the other 3 Patrols had no worries..just my aftermarket gear.
Glad the 50 is going well...
Cya Roachie
FollowupID: 376853

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 00:14

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 00:14
Hey Bill How did the Poron go?
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 121693

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 09:43

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 09:43
G'day John,
Poron went really well.....half the screen was taken up with the view of the camper trailer....lololol
I think I mentioned to you that I'd mounted it inside the real barn door when I last 'spoke' to you by email. Well, I've changed that to the roof rack now as I was getting 'feedback' at night from the infrared units in the camera.....this made it appear that there were a series of white lights on the screen.

Have you fitted yours yet?

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 376888

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 18:00

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 18:00
Bill I have not fitted mine yet, No bloody time.
Wonder where the days go???

Your saying that the infrared is bounced back of the glass into the camera? causing the spots.

Did you feed the wire through the door seal from the roof rack. or drill a hole in the roof and feed it in?

How did the original Poron screen mount hold up on the corrugations etc?

Cheers

John
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 376922

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 18:42

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 18:42
John,
Yes the spots were coming from the camera, bouncing back into the lense of the camera and became visible on the screen. Now that it is on the roof rack with nothing for it to have to "see" through, no worries.

I made a small slit in the ribber "hose" that carries various electric wires the back door to the body of the vehicle, then ran the cable up the gap between the door and body....temporarily secured with gaffer tape. I will have to devise a better means of securing it in due course but it worked ok on the trip.

Roachie
FollowupID: 376926

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 00:33

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 00:33
Hi Roachie,

I've just arrived home from a 23 night trip from Perth to Alice via Warburton and a cancelled Simpson Crossing. We were trying to head west to east across the Simpson and the rain really stuffed us and many others.

It seems from your story those travelling east to west got a better run with the rain as the west side, Mt Dare etc., stayed wet and boggy for several days and there was a run of bad drying days and light rain around July 10 - 12 through the west side.

When we were in Coober Pedy on July 11/12 it was raining continuously and it validated our decision to not try to cross. The road to William Creek from CP was closed again on July 12 as we were leaving CP.

I'd be guessing that in the several days it took to cross from east to west the rain headed south and the area around Dalhousie and Mt Dare that had been no go areas for several days, had begun to dry out. Good luck to you, pleased you made it through.

Down side for us is the extra four or five days travelling it takes for Perthies to get to the Centre, so my Simpson Crossing will have to go right to the back burner.

Tim
AnswerID: 121696

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 09:48

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 09:48
G'day Tim,

That's a real bummer mate.....to go that far and then not be able to complete your intended 'highlight' of the trip. We did toss up about going out to Oodnadatta first (when we were at Maree and that road was opened, but the Birdsville Track was still closed....but re-opened about 15 minutes later). That was 10 July, so we would have been in the same situation as you I guess......glad we went the way we did.

Anyway, there'll always be next time, eh?

Cya mate

Roachie
FollowupID: 376889

Reply By: Redback - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 11:18

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 11:18
QUOTE;
It was only a few drops so I didn't worry too much....just pretended I owned a Landrover!! END QUOTE

Maaaate i had none of these problems and gee, guess what, i don't have to pretend i own a Land Rover do i !!!!!!!!!

Our Disco preformed impeccably on our east/west crossing albeit a bit bouncy lol.

Here some shots of the Desert, it was a tad damp aspecially after Purnie Bore to the bypass to Dalhousie.
[ View Image]

[ View Image]

[ View Image]

[ View Image]

[ View Image]

Baz.
AnswerID: 121732

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 21:32

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 21:32
Hey Baz, nice pics except for 3rd down - looks like the landie could do with a set of h/duty rear springs or at least polyairs to hold the rump up a bit. Did the lower clearance cause any problems? Probably about as much clearance as is though as my TD JAckaroo!

D-JAck
FollowupID: 376943

Follow Up By: Redback - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 22:25

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 22:25
Yeah she sagged a bit over the trip, those springs and shocks were not the best afterwards but had no probs at all, a quick trip to Heasmans are in order though, cause the shocks aren't the best anymore and a set of polyairs are definately in order, i must say we had alot of gear in the back of the Disco, more than normal, we were planning to cross without the camper thats why we had more gear than usual, but the weather at the time showed more signs of rain so we took the camper just in case we couldn't get back to Birdsville to pick it up.
Alittle bit of water in the desert. ;-)
[ View Image]

Baz.
FollowupID: 376951

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 19:01

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 19:01
Roachie, I love your pretentiousness of being a Landrover owner mate. You don't show the sooty exhaust of some though when they need to apply the power pedal. Eh, Baz??

I really am so sorry you didn't get to Birdsville to catch up - we obviously had it set in our minds that there was going to be rain and didn't try a last minute charge to get there.

A bit of a salient reminder to those like me that have another battery hidden away without a fuseable link in the charge line. It is best to make sure that possible wear points have additional insulation.

Finally mate I love the bankers line that 1+1+1=5 Does that pass the South Aussie Bankers exams? Just that our relationship manager is a crow eater and we may need to impress her one day with your reasoning.

AnswerID: 121769

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 22:27

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 22:27
Yeh mate......what a cock-up. I guess I should have had more faith in my own workmanship as it turns out; cos what I thought was the problem was NOT.
Anyway, it reinforces my belief that every owner of a vehicle that is going to be asked to do remote travel, should either DO most of their own work or at least have an intimate knowledge of what wires and gadgets do what. Once I blew 3 fuses (each time only happening when I selected reverse), I knew it was that bloody wire (which I also knew at the time of installation about 18 months ago was not really in the ideal position).
Cya mate
Roachie
FollowupID: 376952

Sponsored Links