80 Series Replacement Lamps & Setup

Submitted: Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 19:18
ThreadID: 25042 Views:2720 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I'm looking at replacement lamps for the front of the cruiser. I have found ARB stocking IPF replacements ($55/each) plus $46 for each globe. Repco and Autobarn also do replacement lamps at $48ish.
Then the globes, IPF (110/80W) are mega bucks. Why? What about trying out either Philips 'whiter colour' 55W or normal 100/80W(about $15each).

I have also heard the std loom won't carry the req'd current for a 110/80W also - any hints on that too.

My problem is wainly with poor lighting on dipped beam, so spotties won't make a difference here either.

Has anybody replaced their front lamps with new and how good has the improvement been?
Where can l find the setup info to make alignment easy at home against a wall?

Cheers
Beast of Bodmin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 20:22

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 20:22
Don't replace the standard globes with anything hotter as the standard lenses/reflectors melt.
AnswerID: 121995

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 20:33

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 20:33
The low beam lenses are probably stuffed and crazed like mine. any auto parts shop stocks new ones for around 20 to 25 dollars each. Why adjust them against a wall?? do you drive through walls???? go to a little used road and chuck your jacket over one and adjust the other then do the other light. then drive it around before pulling up and do any minor adjustment neccessary
AnswerID: 121998

Reply By: fourplayfull - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 22:58

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 22:58
Just installed ARB loom upgrade , globes & lamps - brilliant ! no extras to keep aiming .
AnswerID: 122033

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 08:00

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 08:00
If you are just looking at a moderate & whiter low beam, a cheap upgrade option is to replace your existing globes with the Narva "Plus 50's" in the same size. (eg H4 or whatever).

This option does not require a loom upgrade as the wattage is the same.

It suited my requirement for a better low beam as the Jack has (had) a rather marginal quality as standard.

I haven't found the need to go with the more expansive option of a loom/headlight upgrade.

Just be careful of what you choose. "Blue" lights are illegal in some states I believe.

In the Narva range there is the "Plus 30", "Plus 50" the the "Arctic Blue".

There is also a Phillips alternative, "Blue Vision" I think, but they are double the price of the Narva.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 122059

Reply By: Member - Karl - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 13:38

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 13:38
Beast,

I had to replace the outer (high/low) beam headlights on my 91 80 Series about two ago. As these were sealed beams I went with new unsealed ones from Repco and fitted the Philips Vision Plus globes - I am unsure of the exact cost but in total it was around the $100 mark. I went with the Repco option as they were the only ones in the country town in WA where I was at the time that stocked the replacement parts I required.

I replaced the units myself which was easy once I read the Owners manual and found the little locking mechanism holding the units in!!!.

Once installed and re-aligned I noticed an amazing difference over the old ones which were standard - particulary when only on low beam - I should have done it years ago. I don't think that I could justify the price for the units from ARB/IPF and I am happy with what I have now.

I will eventually replace the inner (high beam) ones one day when I get around to it and I will use the same globes.

Hope this helps.

Karl.
AnswerID: 122117

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 14:03

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 14:03
Hi
I am about to advertise in the 4 sale section an ARB loom with IPF lights to suit an 80 series.
If your interested to find out more, email me on limo4b@yahoo.com.au
I now have Sahara lights, and found them to give out more light having alot larger reflectors.I use the blue 55/60 watt globes in the sahara lights, and they are ok..but nothing beats the IPF spotlights (or any other good brand) for getting the light out there in the night
Bottom line is your wiring to the low beam globes wont handle more than 55 watts, or 55 devided by 12 which is 5.5 amps.
The IPF's can run 100/140 low/hi globes.
Andrew
AnswerID: 122123

Reply By: udm - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 21:28

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 21:28
Go back to sealed beams (I know they are only 55/60w or something), you will get sick of water entering them, and replace the headlight looms. Works perfect.
AnswerID: 122192

Sponsored Links