DiscoverAus software problems

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 20:19
ThreadID: 25115 Views:2397 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, hoping someone can help me regarding uploading DiscoverAus regions to GPS. I have a Meridian Gold with a 128MB storage card however whenever I try to upload a region larger than 16MB the DiscoverAus software won't let me continue due size. Any ideas? Has anyone else suffered this bug?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Woobla (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 20:47

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 20:47
I think the magellan will accept about 3..maybe 4 regions of a max of 16mb.
You just have to cut your trip into bite sized units and save them individually.
as you say, it has a brain haemorage if you give it too much info.
I have no problem with mine other than having the patience to learn how to use it.
good luck.
Jeff

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 122389

Reply By: MarkTheShark - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 20:48

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 20:48
Dear wyspokie,

This is not a bug. The files (e.g. a region) cannot be any larger when downloading from DiscoverAus (don't ask me why but that it the way it is. What you have to do is make a series of files each about 15MB or less. What I do is choose rectangular regions of Australia that only just fractionally overlap and name each file appropriately (e.g. NthnTer or EastTas). Download these (as many as you can get on the 128MB card - about half of Australia).

In use you will be able to choose the region/file you are in. When you drive out of the coverage (you will see a distinct straight line on the screen and the map will resort to the basic detail) simply call up the next relevant file/region and away you go! This is only a few key strokes and is covered in the Magellan manual.

Regards, Mark
AnswerID: 122390

Reply By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 21:25

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 21:25
Try this - excellent HowTo with pics.. http://www.gpsoz.com.au/dast_faq.htm
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 122401

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 22:00

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 22:00
Hello - as mentioned it is not a bug - just a "standard" restriction. If you want you can modify the Mapsend.ini file (in Magellan/DiscoverAus directory) to enable a bigger single region to be created - using a text editor (notepad) change the CONV_MEMORY_SIZE=16384 line to a bigger number eg =64000 for example. Warning - this can cause lagging and jamming sometimes...or as other suggested just load 4 x 16mb regions.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 122415

Reply By: wyspokie - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 22:09

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 22:09
Thanks to all those that replied - Love ya work. Now on track - working fine.
AnswerID: 122419

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 08:23

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 08:23
wyspokie,

Some more information for you.
Buy yourself a "card reader". This is a "hub" which plugs into the PC's USB port and performs the same as a removable drive. Most card readers take a variety of different cards, so you can use it for purposes other than the SD card used by the Magellan. I also use mine to copy to and from the card in my digital camera.

I use a 512MB card in my Magellan Meridian, which takes all of Australia divided into several regions, each of less than 16MB each. And I have sufficient room left to also include selected regions from Great Desert Tracks which I also use.
(P.S. - a 1GB card would provide sufficient capacity for all of both DiscoverAus and Great Desert Tracks applications)

Ivan is spot on with his advice on the GPSOZ site too. This explains exactly how you can combine several regions into "State" size groups. Then you only have to call up each State on the GPS unit when you move from one to the next.
The secret is in using a card reader. These are available from Dick Smith/Tandy, Harvey Norman and other like stores.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 122474

Sponsored Links