Hughenden road condiions

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 15:45
ThreadID: 25137 Views:2498 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have current road conditions for the Hughenden to Barcaldine and Hughenden to 'The Lynd Junction' roads please?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tim - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 16:34

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 16:34
About 3-4 weeks old so things may have changed. I don't think they have had any rain up there at all though.

My brother travelled from the Lynd to Hughendon and reckoned the top part was pretty rough. The bit from Hughendon to Porcupine Gorge and back which we also travelled was in good condition. No idea what it is like down to Barcaldine though.
AnswerID: 122570

Reply By: Member - Wilgadene (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 22:15

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 22:15
Did the Hughenden - Lynd 2 weeks ago and as Member Tim said, Hughenden to Porcupine not too bad and Porcupine to Lynd rough. We towed a heavy camper trailer through and took it easy. Had no troubles. Rain was coming in at Ravenshoe and Atherton last week, used 4wd to get out of Tinaroo, not sure if it reached the Lynd.

Cheers
Kev
AnswerID: 122636

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 08:04

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 08:04
Same as above. Did it 4 weeks ago, rough at top end but OK on bottom end. Towed a camper trailer, no problems. Went from there to Richmond and then to Winton. The Richmond-Winton Rd is good.

Cheers
AnswerID: 122663

Reply By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 22:11

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 22:11
Sorry fella's, but have to disagree on some bits, came through there in mid june and thought the bit from The Lynd to porcupine was good and the stretch from porcupine to hughenden was a little rougher ( due to carring more traffic to and from the gorge I suppose).
The stretch through to muttuburra was superb till we reached where the grader was, from there it was 'mounded up in the middle' twin track, though the grader would have finished through to muttuburra by now.
Muttuburra to longreach also good.
Keeping in mind we had tyre pressures down at 30psi front, 35psi rear and no trailer, so maintained speed round the 100kph most of the way. Also had just come from Lakefield to Laura, so I suppose anything would have felt smooth after that teeth loosening stretch!
It's rained qute a bit since then too, so I suppose all of my above probably doesn't mean bleep now!
Happy travelling.

Avagoodn
Pezza
AnswerID: 122802

Follow Up By: SKP - Saturday, Jul 30, 2005 at 14:09

Saturday, Jul 30, 2005 at 14:09
Thanks Guys, I am planning to head that way on Monday towing a Tvan, I will let you know how it went when I get back to Melbourne from FNQ towards the end of the week.
FollowupID: 378032

Reply By: tildo - Sunday, Jul 31, 2005 at 18:51

Sunday, Jul 31, 2005 at 18:51
used 4wd to get out of Tinaroo?,.......lol.....sorry....where were you camped....in the middle of the dam........
AnswerID: 123033

Reply By: SKP - Friday, Aug 05, 2005 at 21:05

Friday, Aug 05, 2005 at 21:05
Thanks to everyone for their advice, We left on Sunday as there was rain forcast, The Lynd to Porcipine Gorge qas a good fast run with no problems, but it was a bit "iffy" on Monday from Hughenden To Muttaburra in light rain (and still throwing up dust) on the approx 50 kms of nice sticky clay (apparently its the same clay that they make fine china from!), but we managed to get through OK.
Geez that dust turns really sticky, we spent 30 mins scraping it out from under the wheel arches and inside the rims once we got back on the gravel.
Once back on the blacktop it was a fast 2 day run back to Melbourne.
The Matilda and Kidman are the way to go.
Thanks again for your help, SKP
AnswerID: 124013

Sponsored Links