Horizontal Waterfalls Talbot Bay

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 30, 2005 at 06:25
ThreadID: 25177 Views:3664 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, dear all,
on TV I have seen an interesting docu on Talbot Bay, Horizontal Waterfalls.
Since I am about to travel to Australia (end of August) I am desperate to gather some information on this fascinating natural wonder. I read huge amounts of brochures but I did not get the answers I was looking for. There are sea safaris but mostly on luxury boats, seaplane trips, etc.
Can anybody help me? Are there guided tours on small boats? Possibly with overnight stay in the bay?
Is Talbot Bay actually "t h e" place to see this tidal wonder? On TV they showed some sort of barrier or reef with dropping water - it really looked as if the waters flew horizontally like a curtain. In the different brochures on the area they usually show the Talbot Bay inlet - is that the same?
Does anybody of you know this remarkable spot?

I would be absolutely happy to receive some answers.
Thanks and g'day to everybody, Renate
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 30, 2005 at 07:33

Saturday, Jul 30, 2005 at 07:33
Renate
I have not personally been to Talbot Bay.

What you talk about is in the Kimberly (North West Australia). Not sure where you are located but if you have maps etc Talbot bay is 16d 18' 04" south and 123d 51' 14" East

The only access to most of these sort of features is by sea. It is a remote area and there is no accommodation in such inlets. The land surrounding the bay is is an Aboriginal Reserve (WOTJALUM) There are also spectacular waterfalls further inland some of which can be reached by vehicle.

Torres Strait ( between Queensland and New Guinea) also has large tide runs and the reefs around the strait don't just get shallow at low tide - the tide drops suddenly and the water pours off in waterfalls which can be many km long. From a distance it looks like breakers in the middle of the sea but once you get closer you realise that the water is tidal flow off the reef.

Alan
AnswerID: 122828

Follow Up By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Saturday, Jul 30, 2005 at 09:58

Saturday, Jul 30, 2005 at 09:58
Renate
The waterfalls are in a remote area of the Kimberley and accessible only by boat or seaplane. You do not need a permit to do this, but you must not land anywhere in this and surrounding areas without Aboriginal permission.

I went through them last year, and by coincidence was there again a few days ago whilst with my good friend Donny Woolagoodja (who is the Tribal Custodian of the area).

Donny is a well-known Aboriginal artist - and was responsible for the huge (52 metre wide) painting at the opening of the 2000 Sydney Olympics. Seen by an estimated 3 billion people, it is probably the world's most-seen painting.

See his extraordinary site, www.wandjinadonny.com (He's standing just behind me as I write this - and sends his regards!)

I have many photos etc of the Waterfall - including Donny's boat going through it. Contact me directly and I will supply more info and send you a pix
Collyn Rivers

FollowupID: 378016

Follow Up By: Doris - Thursday, Aug 04, 2005 at 15:23

Thursday, Aug 04, 2005 at 15:23
Dear all,
Thanks for your good advices which led me much further in my travel planning. Great that such a chatroom exists to exchange experiences -I'll add mine when coming back ...

Kindest personal regards, Renate
FollowupID: 378798

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Saturday, Jul 30, 2005 at 11:45

Saturday, Jul 30, 2005 at 11:45
Renate, friend of mine recently did the tour out of Derby, (also available from Broome). In her case they flew by sea plane around all the coastal scenic stuff then out to the shoals moored up to a pontoon then onto a speed boat, went through the falls and gap, then moored up to one of the cruising yachts/boats that use this area, for lunch. Back onto the speed boat and back to the plane. From memory wasn't all that expensive considering.

Try going to nineMSN and the link to gREAT Outdoors, thats one of our Channel Nine TV shows. You should be able to access past shows and ask questions.

Cheers

Dunc.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 122857

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Saturday, Jul 30, 2005 at 13:04

Saturday, Jul 30, 2005 at 13:04
Woops, should have said Getaway. Great Outdoors is on Channel 7.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 378031

Reply By: rhonda2 - Sunday, Jul 31, 2005 at 09:06

Sunday, Jul 31, 2005 at 09:06
Hi, have just come back from 6weeks in the Kimberleys, awesome, did fly to Horizontal Falls, stayed onite on board 85 ft. ship.Cost was $414.00 each, onite stay was $125.00 D.B&B.(inc in the $414) We flew from Derby with Derby Seaplanes,arvo landed in Talbot bay, flew over the falls at the turn of the tide,on way in .boarded the mother ship , had spa on deck till midnight (sipping champagne if you like)a million stars as you can imagine out there in the wilderness next morning we boarded the jet boat ,took us thro the falls at the turn of the tide, unreal,did bit of exploring around the bay.arrived back to Derby 9ish.We heard Derby Seaplanes are the preferred carrier and even tho you can fly from other spots, Derby is the closest. All in all was worth every cent in our eyes.
AnswerID: 122965

Sponsored Links