Patrol DX (Ex Cop Car)

Submitted: Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2624 Views:2845 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
All,

Been doing some inverstigating as to the history of my 2000 Patrol DX

Turns out is was originally a ex cop car (Here I was thinking one of the previous owners was a Two way radio freak!!!!!)

Do they modify the engine performance in anyway? ie Heard about the Unichips increasing performance of cars.........where would this be located if they had decided to install it?

It still has a year of the factory warranty left, and got it booked in for a service.

It drives really well, and still quite young at 80000k's, to me gearbox feels loose but it might be a case of its just well worn in. I'm creating a list of things for the mechanic to look at but do all you wiser 4WD people have any tips on things to look for?

Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David_NSW - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Paul,
I also have an ex Police GU Patrol (1999 model). From what I've been told no modifications are made to this vehichles by the Police Department as they are not used for high speed persuit.
AnswerID: 9799

Reply By: OziExplorer - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

You may get a better response here:
http://www.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/

Normally government vehicles are well looked after as far as regular servicing goes.
AnswerID: 9800

Follow Up By: Paul - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

Ozi,

hmmmm not much on Patrol gearboxes there........matter of fact you search for Patrol and you get 4 posts saying Patrols suck Pajero's rule !!!!

I steered well clear of Pajero's as there were too many on the 2nd Hand market for my liking.....this to me did not sit well.
FollowupID: 5096

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

Bummer, I read it as Pajero.
FollowupID: 5098

Reply By: georg - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

Paul, it all depends on who,how many, and where, different driver every day ? or the lone police station vehicle , in any case if the box feels loose get it checked while still under warranty,will save you $ in the long run. I have 3 relatives curently in the "thin blue line " and the way they treat their vehicles in general leaves a lot to be desired,,yes always serviced ect,,but treated rough as g-ts,tax payers money who cares??The only exception seems to be motor cycle ,1 bike, 1 rider.
AnswerID: 9801

Reply By: Darryn - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

Paul see if you can find out who actually had the wagon. In Victoria SES vehicles (red plate) are part of the police fleet but of course don't get the same use or abuse(just different types of abuse). I don't think that you will find there are any engine mods. 80,000 klms is nicely ran in for a diesel so get a good 4WD or Nissan mechanic to check it over. Hope it gives you lots of years of service and fun trips.
Regd's Darryn
AnswerID: 9802

Reply By: Paul - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

All,

Bit more info.........just got off the phone to a mate who is a panelbeater and 4wd buff.

He has been speaking with a mate of his who occasionally writes for the Overlander Mag.

He to had previously bought a Hilux at the Govt Auctions

As the rear solid glass windows have been removed and replaced with slide opening windows (I thought at the time of purchase perfect for the dogs), all the interior is vinyl, inside is well maintained, inside the rear doors have holes where there used to be a cage, they think there is a good chance this is an ex dog squad car.

They have looked it over and said it has done bugger all 4WD, not a dent in the underbody ( well not until I took it out last weekend to Gross Valley (back of Sydney)
AnswerID: 9806

Reply By: Old Soldier - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00
G'day Paul,

I can't really comment on ex police 4wd, but as a yeardstick I have quite some experience of ex Qld Police cars.

When I left the army over 20 years ago, I bought a taxi and became a shareholder in my local cab company.

This company operates a fleet of over 100 cabs which is not bad for a provincial city.

Almost 70% of this fleet is constantly made up of ex Qld police cars, as their maintenance history is generally accepted as being far better than most cars of similar mileage.

I don' know a single cabbie who ever had a major problem [that he himself didn't cause :)], and tha majority of share holders head of to the taxi buyers broker at the police auctions whenever they need a new cab.

If that principle is taken through into the 4wd, you should not have too many problems.

I don't know if the Police have higher specs for their 4wd vehicles, but in their Falcons in Qld, they used to specify the C4 gearbox which was much stronger than the C3 fitted to the normal "run of the mill" Falcons of the time. Ideal for cabbie use.

The ones to be very wary of are the ex Budget and Avis cars. Now a lot of those get really thrashed by hirers who could not give a hoot.

Hope this helps mate

DennisN
AnswerID: 9820

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Try the Patrol List

Went 4bing with a guy in an Ex Cop GQ, only thing different from standard was it had was a winch!
AnswerID: 9821

Reply By: Paul - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

All,

Finding its history was easier than I expected.
Rang the police and spoke to one of the fleet managers.

Definately was a cop car. Based at Uralla and used for General duties once had a prisioner cage fitted in the rear, no mods done to it.

Then rang the actual Police Station at Uralla, regular servicing at 10000k

My wife is now freaked out as she suspects badies have been in the car. Women !!!!

Paul
AnswerID: 9830

Follow Up By: Truckster - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Good work!!

Lucky to have the history of your car eh!
FollowupID: 5121

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Paul, better to have a few baddies in it than 2 or 3 excited All Stations guard dogs locked up when the actions on. Never know what they left behind....Enjoy the blue-light buggy. Regards...
FollowupID: 5133

Reply By: Member - Gary - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00
Paul, I also have an ex Police GU Patrol 2000 model. I have found that the vehicle was well maintained. There are no modifications made to the vehicles. The only extras are wide wheel pack, bullbar and maybe driving lights. I know that a lot of the 2000 models in Service with the NSW Police had engine problems and quite a few have had the engine replaced. Nissan recognised the problem and changed the oil capacity. You should check with your Nissan dealer the history of the vehicle particularly whether the engine has been replaced. Another thing to look out for are the wheels. I had my 80k service today and found out that two rims had cracks. The Nissan Dealer told me that they had found a few like that and Nissan were replacing them under warranty. At $400 a wheel they should too. Anyway enjoy your vehicle Gary
AnswerID: 9929

Sponsored Links