Hermannsburg to Palm Valley

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 07, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 268 Views:3593 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a trip to central Aust, I am hopeing to get to Palm Valley, I've got a 80s landcruser plus towing heavy duty offroad trailer,I was wondering if it will be ok to tow a trailer along the track to palm valley, Ive heard it not advisable to tow along this track.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen Mills - Thursday, Jun 07, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 07, 2001 at 00:00
You won't be able to get into Palm Valley with a trailer!! Its enough with a loaded L.Cruiser

If you have already heard this, why post this query on this page??
AnswerID: 613

Follow Up By: Graham Comitti - Thursday, Jun 14, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 14, 2001 at 00:00
He probably posted the message to gain the information that the follow ups have given him.
FollowupID: 172

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Saturday, Jun 09, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 09, 2001 at 00:00
Alan, we have towed our trailer into Palm Valley but each season is different and conditions vary considerably - so what is possible one year may not be the next. Last year there was bad flooding which dumped lots of sand across the track and access was tricky even for 4WDS, without towing. The track was even closed for a few weeks in peak season. But generally, it's easy going almost all the way until the last bit where there are carparks, toilets and shade huts. We offloaded our trailer in there and drove the last bit (about 2km) to the actual end where the walks start. The track is narrow and full of idiots and tour buses who think they own the road - they demand right of way! As a trailer driver you will know it is difficult to get a trailer out of the way Quick! It's this last few kms that is not worth dragging a trailer across - rocky bumps that can't be avoided. So, don't stress, go and check out the conditions. At worst you may need to drop it off on the access track somewhere.
AnswerID: 616

Reply By: Tony - Monday, Jun 11, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 11, 2001 at 00:00
Alan, Last August (2000) we towed our offroad trailer into Palm Valley with our 80 series deisel cruiser. There was one section of 50 or so metres of really soft sand just after you come to the river (creek?). We had to use low range because we stopped (as in applied the brakes) in the start of the sand, to get going again because of a mix up over the radio with our travelling companions. We did not have to lower tyre pressure though. We had no trouble on the way out because we keep up our momentum. OK, tyres were Dunlop Road Grippers 750 x 16 - not ideal sand tyres, the trailer weighed approx 1100kg and it was not long after the flood. The damage from the flood was still evident. The rest of the track was fine but bumpy. We towed to the camp ground but had to setup on the gravel as the grassed camping areas were fenced off to trailers - except for a couple but they were taken. You'll have to get there early in the day to get a good spot - but this applies to almost everywhere! Collect fire wood on the way in before the park boundary. Take the cliff top walk as well as the creek walk - the views from the cliff top are fantastic. When you get out to the Centre, ask other travellers of the track conditions - also ask locals. What one person thinks is a challenge, another may think is a walk in the park! Have fun.
AnswerID: 622

Reply By: Peter - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Alan
I can only agree with the 2 other trailer towers; take it sensibly and watch road conditions. 3 years ago we towed our off road trailer into Palm Valley the day after the Mereenie loop road was reopened. It had been closed for 3 days due to heavy rains. Fully loaded our trailer weighs 748kg and we pull it with a 3L Pajero without difficulty even on LPG. The Palm valley road was easy but there were idiots, so rather than tow in the last 2k we set up camp and went in the next morning. No I didn't lower the pressure on the BFG 31x10.5 R15s nor did I need low range.

Definitely do both walks; our kids 12&10 loved both. Have a great time.
AnswerID: 628

Reply By: Kim - Monday, Jun 18, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 18, 2001 at 00:00
Alan,
We travelled into Palm Valley about three weeks ago. Absolutely no problem with a trailer to the campground & picnic areas ... we did, however, come across a 15yr old Mazda 626 who was bogged up to the axels!!! Someone had told him he would be able to get in. He didn't do to badly either, making it to within 1km of the campground. Needless to say, he crawled back to the main road with his tail between his legs having had about a dozen people watch us winch him out as no one could get past.
I know you have already been told, but watch out for the tour buses - they are crazy and won't be slowing down for you.
Have fun.
AnswerID: 647

Sponsored Links