Northern Bush Tick

Submitted: Monday, Dec 30, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2732 Views:2590 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
One of my friends has shown me a video of their trip up north (Qld) and one time when the camera panned onto his arm ( for whatever reason) there was a tick on his arm. He wasnt sure how long it had been there but he had been feeling sick all day.

He told me they bury their head under your skin and drink your blood whilst they are injecting a poison / pain killer so you dont even feel anything while all this is happening, but within that same day you can start to feel quite sick from the poison and not even know why until somebody sees it whever it may be.

He also told me that the head will break off into your body and keep injecting poison for up to a couple of days if you try to remove them unsuccessfully.

They are apparently picked up in the rainforest area.

My question is " how are they removed properly without breaking them off "?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe - Monday, Dec 30, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 30, 2002 at 01:00
Nasty little devis these ticks, especially the paralysis tick which can kill dogs and potentially kill babies and toddlers.

When I have found a tick I have always rubbed some trpoical strength RID onto it. This seems to irritate them enough that they back out of their burrow into the skin and you can (after a couple of minutes) simply pick them up and kill them.

I have watched a vet remove a tick that was under the eyelid of my dog (too sensitive an area for me to use my RID technique) and he simply gripped the tick as low as possible and pulled while twisting it about 90 degrees. The tick came out cleanly.

I think this is the sort of thing that you need to practice, even if the practice is less than comfortable.
AnswerID: 10307

Reply By: dougie - Monday, Dec 30, 2002 at 01:00

been upthere myself the locals just pull them off, but dogs up there a work tool and disposeable.
the trick i was told was to get a tiolet roll tube and put it over the tick and spray with fly spray, this localises the spray
They little buggers hate that!!
AnswerID: 10309

Reply By: Paul - Monday, Dec 30, 2002 at 01:00

Metho has worked for me in the past.... Pour it on the bugger, I then soak a tissue or toilet paper in metho and place this over the tick for a few minutes with a small amount of pressure. They then seem to come out easier.

lookat this link

http://www.usyd.edu.au/anaes/venom/spiders.html#TICKS

AnswerID: 10310

Reply By: fatboy - Monday, Dec 30, 2002 at 01:00

Very important that you check yourself thoroughly when in these areas as scrub ticks left undetected can do nasty things . check every where especially in your hair , armpits , crotch etc. Just pulling them off works fine with tweezers , kerosene or rid seems to work ok too . Don't let these little buggers put you off your trip, no more dangerous than king browns or crocs.
AnswerID: 10319

Follow Up By: Voxson - Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00
Onya guys for the replies.... Especially the warm words from fatboy.. heheheh........... crocs and browns... :o)
FollowupID: 5413

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:00

Wednesday, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:00
Hi Voxson,

The subject of correct removal of ticks was discussed in some detail on this forum several months ago. Some of the replies were very specific and one from someone with qualifications in this area. I suggest you do a search in the archives under "Kangaroo tick" and have a read.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 10412

Reply By: Rod - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00
Have removed a few ticks in my time and have alway's been worried about the body seperating from the buried head during the removal process. I bought and recently used a purpose built "tick removal tool" (coleman) brand from a camping store.The tools jaws grab onto the tick and hold it at skin level,you then twist the tool conter cwise and slowly remove the tick, appears to work well !
AnswerID: 10421

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser1 - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00
Used to be called 'tweezers' when I first bought mine about forty years ago....:-)
FollowupID: 5514

Reply By: Rod - Saturday, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00

Saturday, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00
Bruce
Thanks for your reply. I am due to reinsure my 4wd so was looking for as much info about tcis insurance as i could find. It's almost run along the lines of a secret society - plenty of people have heard of it & that's about it. I will ask this question again as the main subject & see what happens - thanks again.
Rod
AnswerID: 10577

Reply By: Member - Richard - Sunday, Feb 02, 2003 at 10:44

Sunday, Feb 02, 2003 at 10:44
The latest issue of the St Johns First Aid book advises:
Kill the tick with a solvent-based repellent (pyrethrins),
Repeat after one minute (kill it twice? - no, apply a second time after 1 minute),
After an hour the tick should darken and shrivel,
Tick should brush off, if not remove with tweezers,
Apply a cold compress to releive pain if necessary.

Good Luck
AnswerID: 12391

Sponsored Links