travelling with dogs strezlecki/birdsville

Submitted: Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 19:08
ThreadID: 27524 Views:4644 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
evenin all,
i;m planning a trip next may to do the strezlecki track and the birdsville track. just looking at the map i'll need to pass through the strezlecki regional reserve and Innaminka reg. res. am i allowed dogs in these areas?

any further advice from those with furry travelling companions on travelling in this area?

thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 20:55

Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 20:55
Yes
when you buy your Desert Park Pass (you can get one on this site)
It will tell you all about where you can go with a dog

Regards Richard
AnswerID: 136105

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 21:50

Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 21:50
The roads you are talking about are gazetted arterial roads connecting towns.

You may take what you like along these roads
AnswerID: 136128

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 22:58

Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 22:58
You wouldn't be able to legally have your dog at Cullymurra Waterhole, but it would be OK at the Town Common in Innamincka.
AnswerID: 136148

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 01:45

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 01:45
Not so,

At present, you are allowed to take a dog into the Innamincka Regional Reserve, but EXCLUDING the Coongie Conservation Zone.
The dog must not be aggressively, or excessively noisy and must be kept on a lead and controlled to avoid disturbing wildlife, or other visitors.

(In the future, dogs will not be permitted in some other areas of the reserve)

Now CATS are different because there is NO rule regarding them. So you can bring them in, let them roam around without a lead and leave them uncontrolled so that they can catch and eat a myriad of native fauna. Unbelievable, some of these rules. So is the logic as to why they were introduced.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 136160

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Wednesday, Oct 26, 2005 at 09:42

Wednesday, Oct 26, 2005 at 09:42
Sand Man, funny you should mention cats - we had a visiting Siamese here last week - been here a couple of times in the last month and he was genuinely intent on eating all my little lizards around the Park. Fast and furious he was - just like a leopard. My pet sand goanna has disappeared also - he was definitely too big for the Siamese tho. Lived uner one of the BBQ's - scared the daylights out of some people. HAHAHA.
FollowupID: 390187

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 26, 2005 at 15:57

Wednesday, Oct 26, 2005 at 15:57
When i was camping on the Innamincka Town Common last July, there was a dingo roaming around the camp sites, quite unafraid, looking for scraps. So by all means please take your cat along if you have one ......LOL

FollowupID: 390238

Follow Up By: gramps - Wednesday, Oct 26, 2005 at 22:53

Wednesday, Oct 26, 2005 at 22:53
Camped at Innamincka Town Common in May. As soon as it got dark, the cats arrived. They were'nt terribly fussed about people being around and it took a fair bit to chase them off. Unfortunately we were'nt carrying :)
FollowupID: 390303

Reply By: richopesto - Thursday, Nov 03, 2005 at 22:53

Thursday, Nov 03, 2005 at 22:53
heya simple,
I was cruising old posts and thought Id give you a bit more advice about dogs rather than cats.

I have travelled extensively with my kelpie x. Innamicka and region is fine for MANAGED dogs except coongie. There are a few dingos lurking around most campsites (not too close usually , dont worry) but you should keep your dog safe overnight, particlurly if you hear howling nearby. All the roads leading into Inna and out of Inna and are fine. Going to Birdsville is via cattle station(s) and you should avoid letting your dog out near mobs. North of Birdsville to Boulia etc is ok too - but still some cattle.
i believe Ruth? in Birdsville (caravan Park) is still friendly to well behaved dogs.
Your bigger problem may be BAITS, which can be moved by birds and are common in these areas. Also the bush out there is big (doh) with lots of things to sniff and chase, if your dog get a fright or bolts for whatever reason you coudl be looking a long time !
Note, without leaving your furry friend with a well meaning local or at a kennel you are significantly limited in some of the better areas you can go, without breaching 'the rules' :-).
Remember to have water available for your dog in the car if you drive for long hours !!!

hope that helps
cheers
richopesto
AnswerID: 137684

Sponsored Links