Stockton Beach

Submitted: Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2786 Views:2136 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Am driving up from Melbourne and meeting friends who are driving down from the Gold Coast. We are meeting at Stockton Beach for a few days mid February. Was wonding, can someone help with a couple of Q's?

1. How far from the beach are the better camping areas.

2. How busy will it be, given that the school holidays should be over and we are going to be there mid week.

3. What's the fishing like.

4. Anyone kind enough to share useful GPS coords for the area. Say a good camp site or fishing spot? Or is it all good? Or otherwise?

Thanks heaps in advance.

Wazza.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: coops - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00
Wazza Having Problems sending you an answer if this works i will send more soon Coops
AnswerID: 10510

Wazza. Do you have a 4wd and a boat.
I can get you GPS fishing coords depending on you preference. If you stay at the caravan and camping ground at Stockton you will be right at the beach. River fishing is a couple of minutes from here with Jewfish.Whiting, Flathead and Taylor,on offer. Just aroud the corner of the camping groung is the local drinking hole know as The Boatrowers. We use this hotel as point of refence on the river. Fishing in this area is popular with us or under the Stockton bridge.
You can also fish the habour either from the watets edge or in a boat. Gooood boat ramps in the area.
Futher up the road is Nelson Bay. Several caravan and camping grouns in this area all close to the beach. Our pick of this is ONe Mile Beach Caravan and camping hround.
Camping is permitted on the beach. Several access points but you need a permit to drive on the beach. Any place out of the wind is great on the beach.
You should not have a problem with accomodation at this time and the beach is long enough for you to find a seculded spot even at the busiest time of year. Hope this helps...Coops
AnswerID: 10511

Follow Up By: Wazza - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Coops, unfortunately, we don't have a boat. Thanks for your reply, exactly what I was after! We will probrably be going for camping on the beach, but I will have to get the consensus of all of us that are going. Still plenty of time for planning. Wish I was going tomorrow.
FollowupID: 5534

Ok Wazza ,Stockton beach has about 10 ks of beach whicis availible for camping with easy acess from a place called Birubi point which also has shopping, fuel , Beer and other supplies that you may need . Fishing along the beach is quite good with flathead, whiting,Tailor, bream,Salmon and Jewfish availible.Also Pippys for bait can be picked up onthe high water mark
You should enjoy your selfas this beach is private, cleanand crystal clean water
coops
AnswerID: 10513

Reply By: Kimbo - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Hi wazza
You wont have any problems finding a place to camp on the beach as there is miles of camping spots.the best place would be tom look for protection from behind the frontal dunes as the North easters can be strong at times.
There is plenty of fishing to be had on the beach just have to pick a spot and go from there.
You will require a fishing permit aswell as a beach permit these cost $5 for a 3 day licence or $25 for a yearly licence and this price is for each licence not the 2 of them.
these permits can be purchased from the servo at the beginning of lavis Lane at Williamtown or if you enter from the Birubi beach end which is recommended if you intend towing trailers you can purchase thhe permits you require from the Mobil servo at Anna Bay
If you require more info let me know

Regards
Kimbo
Newcastle NSW

Waypoints for interesting sites is as follows
Sygna wreck........................................S32.51.491............E151.50.657
Lavis Lane entrance to beach................S32.49.023...........E151.50.569
Plane wreck(only visible sometimes).......S32.49.463...........E151.55.016
Tanktraps(only visible sometimes)..........S32.49.118...........E151.55.939
Silver city (fishermans huts)...................S32.48.508...........E151.57.628
AnswerID: 10514

Follow Up By: Wazza - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Kimbo & Coops,

Thanks guys, between your two replies I am now hanging to get up there! The only thing I have concern with is that I am getting the injectors done on the car in Berrima and don't think I will be to Newcastle before night time after getting through Sydney. If my mates are already arriving earlier in the same day, do you think I could find them if it was dark (they won't have a GPS to give me their coords!). We will be relying on UHFs, or alternatively, do mobile phones work along ,ost of the beach (we have both Telstra digital and CDMA). Maybe we would be best to arrange for them to come out to a main road and guide us in, or is night driving a no no?

Thanks. Wazza.
FollowupID: 5538

Follow Up By: Kimbo - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Hi wazza
In My honest opinion if you are not familiar with the beach it would be unwise for you travel at night especially if you are entering from the Williamtown end but if you enter from the Anna bay end and drive along the beach front you would not have to much trouble so long as you didnt have to travel to far south and your friends could possibly sit a car on the top of the frontal dunes and have there headlights on but once again caution will be required here as well.
It has to be remembered that Stockton Beach is a hard beach to drive on if you are in experienced as I have assisted so many people out over the years and this is mainly BECAUSE they refuse to let their tyres down sufficiently and I recommend tyre pressures of between 18 and 15 pounds it may seem easy at the northern end of the beach BUT the further you travel south the sand gets VERY soft and the going harder.
You shouldnt have many problems with contacting the friends on UHF or Mobile phones
Kimbo
Newcastle
FollowupID: 5542

Reply By: Mark - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Wazza,
Have just returned from Stockton beach and camped on the dunes last night. Pretty quiet and only a few other campers around, the best dune camping we found is about 700metres North of the fishing village ( a few huts behind the dunes ). Did not fish much but got a nice Salmon 3-4 Kg fishing pilchard on ganged hooks, heaps of pipis hitting the surface for bait. Several people including the Lavis lane servo commented on how soft the sand was on the way in & they were right and unless you drop pressures to 15 you will probably not get on from Lavis lane end. I would not advise Lavis lane end at night as its a big expanse and some steep dune drop-offs if you wonder to far from the tracks. Mobile should work ok as mine did with Optus. Take plenty of fresh water as you soon go through it with washing sand & salt off your gear. Also don't walk bare footed around the dunes as theres tons of broken glass around thanks to some senceless morons burying beer bottles in the sand, we took 2 bin bags of broken bottles from our camp site. Its a top spot never the less but a real shame some people don't realise what they have & trash it.
Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 10537

Follow Up By: Wazza - Saturday, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00

Saturday, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00
Thanks Mark. I think we will try and work something out so we don't have to venture in at night. Maybe camp just south of Anna for the first night, then check out the dunes North of the fishing villiage the next few days. Can't be happy about those few that don't take out what they take in. Cheers.
FollowupID: 5559

Reply By: wazza - Saturday, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00

Saturday, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00
Mark, Kimbo, Coops,

Shaun just posted a new question on beach fishing techniques at Stockton. He is one of our group going to Stockton. I guess should have really put the question at the end of this thread instead of starting a newie!. Ooops.
AnswerID: 10547

Reply By: Craig - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
Wazza, Kimbo and Mark are spot on with there comments , however I would just like to add one tip, Beware of camping near hoons with their unregistered bleep boxes they have no respect for there fellow campers riding all hours of the night .
Don`t be put off by the above there is some what 30 odd kms of space to choose from and it`s a great experience

Regards
Craig.
Shoal Bay
AnswerID: 10682

Follow Up By: Wazza - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00
Thanks Craig, your advice will be heeded!
FollowupID: 5676

Sponsored Links