Securing wheels to camper

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 13:57
ThreadID: 2920 Views:1767 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Could anyone suggest a way of securing the road wheels of a camper trailer to prevent them from being stolen.I am going on a 3 month trip to the Centre,Kimberlys,Kakadu and Gulf areas and could possibly leave the camper unattended for a day.Im not saying the wheels or the camper may be stolen but you never know.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 15:00

Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 15:00
You weld a flat lug with a hole on the underside that aligns with a hole/slot/opening in the wheel. You take a flat piece of steel that goes through the hole/slot/opening in the wheel and put a hole in the end that aligns with the one you welded on the chassis, and then put a decent padlock on each wheel. Yes, it does mean you have to lay on the ground and slide underneath, but you will or should not be able to get a pair of bolt cutters on to it. I would also suggest you put wheel not locks on as well. The above system will normally stop them not only thieving your wheels, but your camper as well. Best I know off.
AnswerID: 11118

Reply By: OziExplorer - Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 15:00

Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 15:00
You weld a flat lug with a hole on the underside that aligns with a hole/slot/opening in the wheel. You take a flat piece of steel that goes through the hole/slot/opening in the wheel and put a hole in the end that aligns with the one you welded on the chassis, and then put a decent padlock on each wheel. Yes, it does mean you have to lay on the ground and slide underneath, but you will or should not be able to get a pair of bolt cutters on to it. I would also suggest you put wheel not locks on as well. The above system will normally stop them not only thieving your wheels, but your camper as well. Best I know off.
AnswerID: 11119

Reply By: Geoff - Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 18:34

Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 18:34
What about a set of lock nuts like you would use on a car?
"Barri Nuts" they used to be called.
Probably a few other brands around now.
Try a wheel/tyre joint.
Won't stop them taking the whole trailer though.(Like Ozi says)
Cheers
Geoff
AnswerID: 11130

Follow Up By: Geoff - Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 18:38

Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 18:38
I didn't read Ozi's reply closely enough.
He's included this in his reply.
Cheers
Geoff
FollowupID: 6088

Reply By: ken d - Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 22:12

Sunday, Jan 12, 2003 at 22:12
Steve
As per Ozi's reply but a slight variation on the theme is to put the bar on a piece of chain welded to the chassis.
This setup may be a little easier to use as you don't need to line up the wheel with the mount.
A hook on the chassis is used to hang the bar when not in use.
Of course these options won't stop someone with a good set of bolt cutters.
Theft is not usually a major problem, but if you can leave a bit of gear set up like table and chairs, barby or the like, the camp won't look unattended. ( Bit hard to do if your vehicles not there)

Cheers
Ken
AnswerID: 11153

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 12:51

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 12:51
Hi Steve,

We just use locking nuts on our campertrailer. Simple, easy, cheap! Just don't loose the "key".

:o) Melissa

AnswerID: 11174

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 16:08

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 16:08
Thanks everyone for your ideas .I'm sure locking wheel nuts and the bar thru the rim will slow any crooks down.
AnswerID: 11286

Sponsored Links